Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:58:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFlight: Comic Equivalent of Independent Games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Flight: Comic Equivalent of Independent Games  (Read 7460 times)
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2007, 11:53:25 PM »

For anyone who likes comics (and maybe even for those who think that they don't), I highly recommend the Flight collections.

Each of the four volumes is a large anthology of very short comics, most of which are by artists who are not famous (but are very talented). A few are by famous artists, too. The art styles are amazingly varied, and the stories are just loaded with imagination. I find these books very inspiring and I think that this sort of effort is worth supporting. I really see the same sort of spirit here that I do in the best independent video games, and I suspect that the audiences probably overlap.

There's more information and previews of the books at Flightcomics.com:

Preview of volume two
Preview of volume three

Amazon.com Links: Volume One | Volume Two | Volume Three | Volume Four
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:28 AM »

Oh man! Flight! I suppose it was only a matter of time before this board got around to discussing indie games's half brother (indie comics). I've read the first two of these and while I liked them, I could never really get totally into them. I remember the second one having some good stuff by Becky Cloonan and Don Hertzfeldt which was cool. And the other Derek was in the first one, maybe? I should go read the new ones!

But hey, could we just turn this thread into an all-out indie comics discussion?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:49:59 AM by Average Higgins » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:08:08 AM »

Flight = so awesome.

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 03:57:55 AM »

i liked them flights - although the problem with any anthology comic series is that it's a mixed bag. i do think that kazu kabuishi is brilliant though (he's the fellow what organizes flight).

this past weekend i went to TCAF (toronto comic arts festival). the festival has a stronger focus on less mainstream artists - you can check out a brief write up i did here: [url]http://reyortega.wordpress.com/2007/08/20/toronto-comics-arts-festival/url].

cheers, rey-o
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 04:05:31 AM »

Shoot me (go on, punk), but I just don't see why anyone would read non-indie comics.  If there's a man in tights in a book I read, whether it has pictures or not, I want him to be a transvestite and not a pompous vigilante with teenage angst.

Maybe a transvestite vigilante, but that's cutting it close.

I'm not sure if Hope Larson qualifies as indie now that she's writing/drawing a book for Random House, but she's currently my favourite American-comic-writer/artist-who-is-actually-Canadian.  She did work that appeared in one of the Flight books, I believe.  And a lot of the people who appeared in Flight have had work published by Oni Press ("Our logo is not Satan") at some point, although I can only get their stuff through Amazon.

i do think that kazu kabuishi is brilliant though (he's the fellow what organizes flight).

He also does Copper, right?  I love that.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
rey-o
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:56:46 AM »

i like super hero stuff too, it just all depends on whos behind it. one of my comics heroes, indy star paul pope recently did a miniseries 'batman year 100' - it was phenomenal.

pacian you are probably familiar with brian lee o'malley , right? seeing as how he's hope larsons hubby and also an accomplised artist. there are some great video game references in it, stuff like having to beat up 'bosses' (evil boyfriends) and upon said defeat, they turn into coins.

yeup kazu does copper - he's got a new book coming out from scholastic called Amulet which looks awesome

cheers, rey-o
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:04:59 AM »

These volumes look really good...I'll have to check 'em out sometime...

Don't know a whole lot about indie comics, always wanted to look into them though...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:36:23 AM »

yeah i have all 4, love em.  I do think vol 3 and 4 are both MUCH stronger collections than 1 and 2, but just like indie games I just love seeing new weird stuff!!

also def mad props to Scott Pilgrim, that's practically my favorite running book right now...volume 4 keeps getting delayed!  drivin me nuts.

cup full of magic charisma
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »

i like super hero stuff too, it just all depends on whos behind it. one of my comics heroes, indy star paul pope recently did a miniseries 'batman year 100' - it was phenomenal.

I might be a little more open to the supes if they weren't pretty much the only kind of western comic you can pick up in the bookstores around here.  It's like, I love a good superhero movie from time to time, but they're not my favourite kind of movie by any means.  If they were all that was ever being shown at the cinema, I'd get pretty annoyed at them too.  Wink

pacian you are probably familiar with brian lee o'malley , right? seeing as how he's hope larsons hubby and also an accomplised artist.

I really dug Lost at Sea, but the reviews of Scott Pilgrim didn't manage to quite grab me.  But apparently Edgar "Hot Fuzz" "Shaun of the Dead" "Spaced" Wright was rumoured (two years ago) to be attached to a possible film version?  That certainly activates the interest ray (in my brain).  I'll see about sneaking it into my next Amazon order.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:23:25 PM »

One of the artists who has appeared in Flight more than once is making (has made?) a game. I think it looks very impressive, even if the title sounds a little silly:

http://www.insanelytwistedshadowplanet.com/

I've always intended to look up the creators of some of my favorite stories in Flight and see what else they've done, but I haven't done so yet. Maybe because there are so many and I'm not sure where to start.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 02:43:39 PM »

Something is screwed up with my Quicktime, so I'm all disappointed that I can't watch the trailer.  I imagine ITSP, "silly" title and all, is based on these.  I ran across them because of the Flight books.  Pretty cool stuff.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
ChevyRay
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 06:06:48 PM »

Whoa, what a coincidence! I was just telling YMM about this yesterday! I read Flight 4 on the hour-long bus ride home from a trip yesterday, and I loved it. The weird thing is, I haven't had the chance to read the first yet. I read the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th so far... I look forward to each new book, what beauty! Smiley

I love Michel Gagne's story with the fox-like creature opening books 2, 3, and 4, and I also explicitly remember The Forever Box as being an awesome story.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:08:49 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
rey-o
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 06:38:39 PM »

pacian: give the first pilrgim volume a whirl - as a gamer, i think you'll like it. on the flip side, i actually didn't enjoy lost at sea too much. eeeemmmmooooooooo Cry

michel gagne is a beast - he does a ton of work for movies too - inlcuding the incredbles,iron giant, and recently ratatoie

cheers, rey-o
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 06:41:55 PM »

he did the flavor visualization bits on ratatouille. those were great!
guy has some skill.
quebecois too, woot.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:29 PM »

I love the Flight Comics. I've never bought any, though, 'cause I never have any money. But I've read them in stores and they always entrance me for my entire stay. It's cool, 'cause I feel absorbed into the story almost as much as when I read a good book (which has never happened to me outside of books - not even in games, because I'm always aware of the fact that it's just a game.) And every time I finish a story I wish it would've lasted longer. Anyway. One of the few comics I've ever read.

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 09:25:15 PM »

Scott Pilgrim is definitely one of my current favorites.

Also, if we're talking indie, Paul Grists Kane and Jack Staff series has some great stories.
rey-o
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:05:10 PM »

oh, and one the great success stories of indy comics, BONE.

regardless of being a indy, or mainstream, or all ages, BONE is simply an amazingly crafted story. just today i picked up the newly released artbook for it too, yay.

cheers, rey-o
ChevyRay
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »

I read the entirety of Bone in one go, as I never discovered it until they were all completed. I've never had so much trouble putting a book down of any sort. <3

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 12:15:06 AM »

Michel Gagne wins infinite internets.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 08:11:42 AM »

Flight!  I love it too!  I only have the first volume though, maybe this will encourage me to start getting the others.

I like how this seems to be something of a community interest though.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic