Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:59:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Wanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG  (Read 67351 times)
KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2015, 11:55:21 PM »

Thank you guys! We did it!   Tears of Joy

We'll definitely be taking a short breather to rest up and get back into fighting shape for the long journey ahead. Really looking forward to starting up the devlog again proper, it feels like it's been ages since we've been able to actually work on the game. Can't wait to get back into action!

Cheers!  Beer!

Sunburned Games
Level 1

We are working on The Great Whale Road.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2015, 12:21:10 AM »

Congratulations! Yes, a Kickstarter definitely slows down development progress.

Cheers,
Joachim

Thank you guys! We did it!   Tears of Joy

We'll definitely be taking a short breather to rest up and get back into fighting shape for the long journey ahead. Really looking forward to starting up the devlog again proper, it feels like it's been ages since we've been able to actually work on the game. Can't wait to get back into action!

Cheers!  Beer!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2015, 02:18:48 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley Yep the current feeling is quite mixed between needing to rest and wanting to work as much as possible on the game! But yeah, resting a bit is probably the best option! Smiley

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »

Uhuuuuu! Well done :D :D :D

DigiCheer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »

Quick question. Have emails for backers who did the 25 dollar tier been sent out yet? The one where we enter our names for credits?

Just making sure I'm not missing an email.

Project looks amazing! Can't wait! Smiley
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2015, 12:05:58 AM »

Quick question. Have emails for backers who did the 25 dollar tier been sent out yet? The one where we enter our names for credits?

Just making sure I'm not missing an email.

Project looks amazing! Can't wait! Smiley

Not yet, we'll start doing the surveys for this kind of things next year! Smiley

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2015, 01:42:28 AM »

Backed you, guys! I'm not so used to this kind of games. But damn you have some gorgeous pixel art and char design. You convey so much with so little. That's amazing, mate. Congratz and thanks for developing such a promising game!

btw, we're working on a game (Monster Prom) now and we contemplated the Square-Enix collective thing. How was your experience with it? What they give you and what they ask you in exchange? :O

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2015, 05:58:09 AM »

Great job! The atmosphere and art style caught my attention immediately. Hope you´ll finish it soon. We talked for a long time about starting a kickstarter for our project, but we are not sure about it yet. Could you explain a bit your experience? Thank you in advance and good luck!

KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2015, 11:22:04 PM »

Hey all! I've been majorly wrapped up in writing and story development over the last couple weeks, so not a lot of new visual content to share lately, but I'm very happy with the way the story structure is coming along. We bought a flex license for the design document/world building software articy:draft 2, and I've got to say I'm really impressed with the utility of the program for the price. It really helps visualize the structure of a non-linear game, something I've definitely found a challenge in the past, so I do recommend checking it out to anyone building an RPG.

Serge is also making excellent progress on the combat system prototype, and I'll be taking a writing break to do some animating for the battle sprites so we can get some combat gameplay feeling fully playable. So far things are translating pretty well from theoretical design to hands-on play, so I'm really looking forward to getting the system fully fleshed out so we can begin the balancing and tweaking process.

Backed you, guys! I'm not so used to this kind of games. But damn you have some gorgeous pixel art and char design. You convey so much with so little. That's amazing, mate. Congratz and thanks for developing such a promising game!

btw, we're working on a game (Monster Prom) now and we contemplated the Square-Enix collective thing. How was your experience with it? What they give you and what they ask you in exchange? :O

Thanks man, appreciate it!

RE: Square-Enix, we didn't end up actually taking their support for the Kickstarter itself so I can't tell you how exactly that goes, but in regards to the Collective platform I would definitely recommend trying it out if crowdfunding is something you're considering. You've got nothing to lose except some time and it will definitely give you a rough idea of how much support is out there for your idea. It will also serve as a much less stressful test run of managing a campaign if you've never done it before, so it's able to at least somewhat prepare you for the real deal.

In terms of the process, it's pretty straight forward. After you submit your pitch they'll get back to you a couple weeks later to let you know if your project is good to go or notes on what it needs if it isn't. After the campaign's over, if your numbers were good (I assume they judge on a case by case basis, but we made it through with 90%) you'll be able to move on to the next phase and there will be an interview process for your team via conference call (and you'll also have to fill out some paperwork detailing your development process and send them a design document for your game).

At no point in the process are you obligated to actually take their support, so like I said you don't have a ton to lose even if you're not sure what route you'll ultimately want to go. We made it through the interview process, but due to scheduling conflicts we weren't able to actually work with them in the end, even though everything luckily worked out pretty well for us anyway. If you do end up going with them, they take 5% from the pot if you reach your goal. At the end of the day I can't say how much of a difference their support would make, but from my personal point of view I would say it's probably worth the 'price tag' just so you can have their name attached to the product in press. If nothing else, I imagine the added credibility would be a great help!  Gentleman

Great job! The atmosphere and art style caught my attention immediately. Hope you´ll finish it soon. We talked for a long time about starting a kickstarter for our project, but we are not sure about it yet. Could you explain a bit your experience? Thank you in advance and good luck!

Thanks! I'd like to do a proper Kickstarter post-mortem at some point, but I'm finding time is becoming an increasingly valuable and likewise fleeting resource, so unfortunately that's a ways down on my to-do list.

Obviously the experience varies for every campaign, depending on how much you're asking for and what the stakes are for being successful (and in our case both variables were quite high). But to put it simply, Kickstarter is not for the faint of heart! It's something probably every Kickstarter creator has already said, but if you really want it to succeed, expect to dedicate every single waking moment for 30 days to the campaign. In our case we had the unique advantage of being in opposite timezones, so one of us was awake to monitor the campaign literally at all times, haha.

You've got to constantly be getting the word out to all corners of the internet, dealing with a barrage of communication from all directions, and putting together new content and updates at (ideally) a constant pace. Halfway through you'll definitely start to feel drained, but the middle of the campaign is when you actually have to push the hardest to stop momentum from stalling I feel, so you've really got to be prepared to keep pushing on.

One specific thing I would definitely recommend is having a few content updates "pre-packaged" and ready to go before even launching. We were on a time table that meant we had to launch when we did, which unfortunately meant all of the updates and most of the content in them was constructed from scratch post-launch. Very stressful, since I was personally responsible for all of that content. Thankfully Serge was there to shoulder the weight in terms of networking and social media, because there's no way I could have handled that to the degree necessary at the same time.

Another thing I'd say to keep in mind is don't be afraid to (very politely) contact bigger names than you might think would be willing to notice you when you're looking for support. For instance, we had the Divinity: Original Sin 2 campaign (who with 42,000 backers and $2,000,000 raised I would have considered infinitely out of our league) give us a shout-out in one of their updates after Serge reached out for some support. I honestly wouldn't have even tried, assuming our project to be completely off their radar, so I was blown away! Definitely don't underestimate how supportive the community can be.  Grin

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2015, 01:02:43 AM »

Another thing I'd say to keep in mind is don't be afraid to (very politely) contact bigger names than you might think would be willing to notice you when you're looking for support. For instance, we had the Divinity: Original Sin 2 campaign (who with 42,000 backers and $2,000,000 raised I would have considered infinitely out of our league) give us a shout-out in one of their updates after Serge reached out for some support. I honestly wouldn't have even tried, assuming our project to be completely off their radar, so I was blown away! Definitely don't underestimate how supportive the community can be.

We even had an answer from the Shenmue 3 team!  Gentleman
Quickly on this topic, shout outs from other projects is definitely the way to go, I'll need to make a proper list of eveybody who talked about us but it must be around 30 projects. And to compare a bit, the press article who brought us the most people is Kotaku with 25 backers. A shout out from Divinity Original Sin brought us around 200 backers!

Eneko Egiluz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2015, 03:54:31 AM »

Wow! Thank you for all those details! We're still in very early development, so there's still time to start a Kickstarter. We'll sure use your advices if we plan to start one. Keep up with the work!

BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2015, 05:39:48 AM »

Thanks man, appreciate it!

RE: Square-Enix, we didn't end up actually taking their support for the Kickstarter itself so I can't tell you how exactly that goes, but in regards to the Collective platform I would definitely recommend trying it out if crowdfunding is something you're considering. You've got nothing to lose except some time and it will definitely give you a rough idea of how much support is out there for your idea. It will also serve as a much less stressful test run of managing a campaign if you've never done it before, so it's able to at least somewhat prepare you for the real deal.

In terms of the process, it's pretty straight forward. After you submit your pitch they'll get back to you a couple weeks later to let you know if your project is good to go or notes on what it needs if it isn't. After the campaign's over, if your numbers were good (I assume they judge on a case by case basis, but we made it through with 90%) you'll be able to move on to the next phase and there will be an interview process for your team via conference call (and you'll also have to fill out some paperwork detailing your development process and send them a design document for your game).

At no point in the process are you obligated to actually take their support, so like I said you don't have a ton to lose even if you're not sure what route you'll ultimately want to go. We made it through the interview process, but due to scheduling conflicts we weren't able to actually work with them in the end, even though everything luckily worked out pretty well for us anyway. If you do end up going with them, they take 5% from the pot if you reach your goal. At the end of the day I can't say how much of a difference their support would make, but from my personal point of view I would say it's probably worth the 'price tag' just so you can have their name attached to the product in press. If nothing else, I imagine the added credibility would be a great help!  Gentleman

That's pretty interesting. So, as you say, it's interesting since there's actually nothing to lose by just submitting the game. We might try it then!
Thanks for the info, mate!  Beer!

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2016, 12:49:18 AM »

Ouh, looks very amazing game! What engine you using?

Finding what I can do better
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2016, 01:42:55 AM »

Thanks! It's developed with LÖVE (https://love2d.org/), an engine I really like thanks to its simplicity and flexibility, and I really enjoy developping the whole game in Lua, I'm a big fan of this language.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2016, 04:56:07 AM »

Good lord, those character designs are beautiful! How have I only seen this now?! Congrats on your funding success, can't wait to see (and hear?) more!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2016, 08:56:59 AM »

I got really excited thinking new devlogs were posted...

Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »

Thanks! It's developed with LÖVE (https://love2d.org/), an engine I really like thanks to its simplicity and flexibility, and I really enjoy developping the whole game in Lua, I'm a big fan of this language.

Wat? The game is making in love2d? OMG! I used love2d too, you really making a amazing job.

Finding what I can do better
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2016, 12:41:41 AM »

I got really excited thinking new devlogs were posted...

Erf sorry about that, I should actually do a devlog about why we're not making new devlogs, hehe... It's kind of now that we have funds for the game and working full time on it, spending time on doing something else is really not easy, even if I know that talking about it is as important than creating it...

But I'll really try to come back with some more interesting content here! Smiley

Wat? The game is making in love2d? OMG! I used love2d too, you really making a amazing job.

Thanks!

motionTwin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2017, 04:36:03 AM »

A bit late to the party, as always, but I have seen you there  and ****, I'm hyped for your game.

I hope the development is going well for you guys,

Joan  Toast Right

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:41:57 AM by motionTwin » Logged

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2017, 05:59:55 AM »

Hehe thanks for spotting it, nice video!

And yep, this devlog definitely needs more updates, I've been struggling the past few days to get a nice behavior with companions pathfinding and ladders, avoiding as much as possible collisions with the player. Probably not the most interesting topic but I'll try to find other ones deserving more attention. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic