Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:09:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Wanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG  (Read 67290 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2015, 05:35:01 AM »

Looks like you guys have formed a solid duo of art and programming, nice work Fenrir & Kaiser. You guys have the potential to make a gorgeous game here. Keep it coming.

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 06:23:04 AM »

Be-yootiful artwork Smiley

Really liking the character designs as well.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:17 AM »

Looks like you guys have formed a solid duo of art and programming, nice work Fenrir & Kaiser. You guys have the potential to make a gorgeous game here. Keep it coming.

Thanks for the comment! Yep so far it's working great, even if we're in totally different timezones. Smiley

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2015, 06:18:06 AM »

Some new rough animations integrated:

Don't hesitate to tell us what you think of them!

Apart from that, on the technical side, last days I've been busy working on loading and unloading progressively the different scenes. The idea is to try to avoid as much as possible loading screens, so when starting the game, we just load the scene where the player is positioned and its neighbors, and when you move to a new scene, I load the new neighbors and unload the too distant scenes. There's also a notion of "active" or "idle" for a scene, and of course I unload it only when it's back to idle. So for instance if an action requires a scene to be loaded to be performed, this scene won't be unloaded even if it's not a neighbor of the current scene.
And to make this system work as smoothly as possible, I made a specific thread responsible for loading all the data required by a scene, this way it can be loaded while you're navigating the current scene without framerate drops.

So the next task on the todo list for me is now to handle moving objects like platforms for lifts, or to animate objects in the background or foreground.

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2015, 06:27:33 AM »

Holy crap, this game is looking great!

Only one complaint though. Your % done on this project is WAY more than 0%. Just sayin.

KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement guys! So far everything's coming along really smoothly. Fenrir's tearing it up on programming and put together a really solid foundation for us to build on, and I'm hard at work mapping out rough passes of the many, many animations I've got lying ahead of me. Some of the current animations still need to be padded so they display at the proper speed in engine, but I'll worry about that on the next pass.

+

BONUS WORKOUT MINIGAME   Wink

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 01:29:18 PM »

This looks awesome! :-D Good luck with it!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2015, 05:10:44 AM »

This is looking great guys, really liking the style you've got going on and will be following with interest.
Am curious to know more about the dog like character?

KaiserCVR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2015, 06:10:27 AM »

This is looking great guys, really liking the style you've got going on and will be following with interest.
Am curious to know more about the dog like character?

Thank you, much appreciated! Smiley

I'll be revealing details on him a bit later on, but the dog (aka Zigfried) will be an ever-present companion character with some very unique special abilities that will tie into the combat mechanics and be used to solve certain puzzles. 

Romain Rope
Level 0

Game Audio SwissArmy Knife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 01:01:35 AM »

A Pull-up minigame ?

I'm Sold !

ROMAIN ROPE

Sound Designer / Composer
ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Zombie Night Terror @ZN_Terror
Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
davisdude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »

Looking great! Art looks GREAT, and the programming is pretty rapid! Keep up the good work  Grin
mabec
Level 0

yikes

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 02:24:14 AM »

Rarely comments but this looks to darn gorgeous not to. Please don't be afraid to go for a crowdfunding source if needed.

10/10 would pledge.
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 03:50:46 AM »

Rarely comments but this looks to darn gorgeous not to. Please don't be afraid to go for a crowdfunding source if needed.

10/10 would pledge.

Thanks a lot! It's still early to talk about funding but of course we'll consider every options!

And as I'm here I'll make a quick dev update! Recently we had less things to show but the work continues at the same rate, I've been busy the last two weeks on implementing path management for moving entities, like for instance clouds or birds in the background, or moving platforms for lifts. Two features were particularly tricky to implement:

- First the ability for a path to move between multiple scenes. As I said all scenes (or screens) are independent, and I'm using portal objects to tell that when we reach a portal, we are "teleported" to another scene. And for paths it's actually working the same way, as soon as the path cross a portal, it's duplicated in the other scene with the appropriate position offset depending on the portal position relative to the new scene. And it works across any number of portals, so I'm quite happy with this system right now.

- The other feature where I had troubles was actually just to handle collisions with moving colliders. It was a lot more tricky than I though, and I went to a solution where we collide with platforms only if we're on top of them, so we can't be "crushed" by an elevator for instance. The big advantage of this solution is that it removes lots of potential bugs or problems, as we don't need to figure out what to do when blocked by a moving platform.

Here is a small gif to illustrate a moving platform between multiple scenes and the collision behavior:

(sorry for the debug display... :/)

And now I started to work on the pathfinding for all NPCs like our companions or enemies, but I'll come back to it next time!

Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 06:56:11 AM »

very purdy. don't apologize for the debug display, that makes things clearer to understand, especially if it's just a tech demo
LeonDaydreamer
Level 1

Just dreaming out loud.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »

Wow! This looks amazing!
Great job guys, I'm looking forward to this one.  :-)

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2015, 12:05:11 AM »

Hey guys, just a quick update to tell you that we're starting to go social! Smiley

Join us on Twitter: @wanderer_game

Superpunky900
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »

Hey guys the game looks pretty cool! I like the basic story (havent read the long explanation yet) and the sci-fi ambient, plus it seems quite an interesting mix of different genres stuff. Fenrir posts explaining stuff are really interesting too!

Just an observation, I think I can see that when the character is running and stop or change to walk it seems to slide a bit. I dont know if Im explaining ok, it seems like he stops but he continues moving a bit without really making a new step forward, like some kind of moonwalker. It happens  when the character is standing and starts running too, its like he moves 2 or 3 pixels forward before even moving the legs or feet. Dont know if its just me, but wanted to say that so you can check the animation and change it if you feel it needs any changes.

Keep the good job guys! I will check the devlog from time to time! =)
KaiserCVR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »

Hey guys the game looks pretty cool! I like the basic story (havent read the long explanation yet) and the sci-fi ambient, plus it seems quite an interesting mix of different genres stuff. Fenrir posts explaining stuff are really interesting too!

Just an observation, I think I can see that when the character is running and stop or change to walk it seems to slide a bit. I dont know if Im explaining ok, it seems like he stops but he continues moving a bit without really making a new step forward, like some kind of moonwalker. It happens  when the character is standing and starts running too, its like he moves 2 or 3 pixels forward before even moving the legs or feet. Dont know if its just me, but wanted to say that so you can check the animation and change it if you feel it needs any changes.

Keep the good job guys! I will check the devlog from time to time! =)

Thanks for checking out our devlog, and thanks for your support!  Smiley

You're absolutely correct that there's currently a lot of weirdness going on in the animation transitions. I'll be putting a lot more love into the animations soon, and once the proper transitions are implemented everything should look quite a bit more fluid!

Currently I've been at work designing the first two areas of the game in their entirety, so that we have a tangible milestone to work toward in the short term future, and also a solid vertical slice of all the core mechanics to begin testing and tweaking. I'm nearly finished with that, and when I am I'll be starting the polish pass on the PC's animations, and then starting on the level assets for the opening areas. Hopefully new stuff to show off pretty soon! Stay tuned.  Grin

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2015, 04:08:01 AM »

Man, this game is downright gorgeous! My e-mail is going to be filled to overflowing with notifications. There are quite a large number of noteworthy games on this forum!

In your OP, I saw that you listed Valkyrie Profile as an influence. Is it in regards to the battle system? If so...  Well, hello there!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 05:31:43 AM »

You're absolutely correct that there's currently a lot of weirdness going on in the animation transitions. I'll be putting a lot more love into the animations soon, and once the proper transitions are implemented everything should look quite a bit more fluid!

On the technical point of view, currently there's no support for transition animations, we're directly going from "idle" to "run", and as we want quite a bit of inertia to transpose the character weight (for instance let's say the player walk at a speed of 100 pixels per seconds and run at 200 p/s, going from running to walking will take some time as he will deccelerate gradually, but until he reaches the walk speed he'll stay on the run animation), it explains the current weirdness.

It's of course on my todo list to support transitional states!

I'm nearly finished with that, and when I am I'll be starting the polish pass on the PC's animations, and then starting on the level assets for the opening areas. Hopefully new stuff to show off pretty soon! Stay tuned.

OK my todo list is becoming a bit too long... Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic