Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:42:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Wanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG  (Read 67306 times)
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »

Today let's talk about a classic in all devlogs: pathfinding! I wanted to tackle it in Wanderer quite quickly as pathfinding for a platformer was totally new for me and I didn't wanted to realize in 6 months that all my level structure would need to be redone to fit with pathfinding. It's also an important aspect of the game as one key feature is having companions following you most of the time and interacting with you and the environment, so we wanted to be sure that technically it was not a dead end.

From this point, 2 options were possible:
1) Trying to create a "smart" pathfinding system, automatically retrieving the colliders from a level and trying to navigate between them.
2) Manually help the pathfinding system by creating "by hand" a navigation graph in each level.

And without any suspense, We went for solution 2! The first one was too risky, pathfinding bugs with entities committing suicide of being stuck by a wall is a total immersion killer, we decided that having more control on where an entity can navigate was worth the work we'll need to do on each scene to create the navigation graph.

After deciding this, I made some researches and I based my work on this paper:
http://joostdevblog.blogspot.fr/2014/06/solving-path-finding-and-movement-in-2d.html
The main idea is to solve the pathfindind problem from 2 levels, a global and a local one.

The global solver is actually just a classic AStar, on each scene we have nodes and links, and we apply the AStar to find a path between 2 positions.

The local solver was a bit more tricky, it's used to determine how we navigate between 2 nodes, so its job is to tell me that when I want to take this link between 2 nodes, I'll need to walk for 200 pixels, then jump above a hole, then climb and finally reach my destination. Actually it's not "smart", it won't determine a path (it's the global solver job), it will just start from a position, and then try to reach another position by going in its direction, and he knows he can jump, crouch and climb, if at any point there's an intersection, he will just take the first route and maybe fail to reach it's destination, but it's not a big deal as in this case I can help him by adding new nodes and delegating work to the global solver.

Here is what a navigation graph looks like:

Orange dots are nodes, yellow lines are links, and as you can see these links are cut into multiple segments. It's the local solver job to create each segment and telling me than in this segment I'll need to jump, in this one I'll need to climb and in this one I'll just need to walk for instance.

Here is my first attempt to navigate through the graph:

And then I replaced the blue dot by an animated character following each segments and applying the correct animations:

And finally I added some tricks to be able to move from one scene to another using the same portals used by the player, and I was able to create my first companion, Rook's twin brother: Smiley

So I'm quite happy with this system, even if there are limitations, for instance it won't work when timing is involved (for instance to jump on a moving platform). But it's not a problem as actually, when we'll want to make an area with a bit more of challenging platforming, our companions won't follow us and we'll "retrieve" them at the end, but I'll let Kaiser talk about it if he wants as it's tide to the scenario and I don't want to spoil! Smiley

So now, what's the next step? Well we'll continue to refine the platforming part and then we'll enter in "production mode" to actually create the first areas of the game, and I must admit that it's quite exciting, Kaiser is doing a fantastic work on designing, storyboarding and creating assets for these areas! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:36:45 AM by Fenrir » Logged

KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »

Hey all! Just dropping in with a quick progress update. We've been hard at work building the first small area of the game, which we're basically using as a playground to test features and mechanics. Currently we've got most of the platforming mechanics implemented (though I've still got quite a bit of animating to catch up on), and the next major mechanic we're looking to tackle is the 'interaction' system, which will allow for interaction with points-of-interest on the screen adventure game style!  Grin

Here's some WIP visuals (right click -> view for full size):

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:48:47 PM by KaiserCVR » Logged

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2015, 03:31:40 AM »

Yep lately I've been busy with implementing ladder support for the platforming part, and also with the ability to push/pull crates, I'll show it a soon as we have animations for them! It took a bit of time as I totally refactored the player state management to make it more flexible before adding those new states.

And currently I made a small break on game mechanics to work on improving the rendering pipeline, I added ways to control the overall ambient color and intensity of scenes, and added a light layer to blend with the background and entities. Now I'll setup the post-processing pipeline to easily add and control effects like blur, bloom or noise.

And as Kaiser said, the next step is to add interactions, first by adding support to trigger "cinematics", and then classic interactions with points of interest. I'll mostly need to work on adding scripting support to the game, but one advantage of having the whole game written in a script language (Lua) is that it should be quite straightforward. Smiley

And to finish, here is a small example of the light blending:

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2015, 06:51:30 AM »

Damn guys, this just keeps looking better and better, nicely done!

Do you have any of the battle mechanics completed? I'm interested in seeing which direction you take it in.

KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »

Damn guys, this just keeps looking better and better, nicely done!

Do you have any of the battle mechanics completed? I'm interested in seeing which direction you take it in.

Thanks man!

We haven't started on implementing any of the battle system yet. We're looking to get interactions and dialogue up and running first before we move on to the fighting. I'll give a full breakdown of the system as soon we get to that phase of development. Super excited to get started working on it, I'm very eager to see how well what I've got on paper translates to playable prototype!  Grin

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »

Sounds good, looking forward to it.

Just do me a favour, make the combat fast + strategic please. I've spoke with a lot of people about rpg combat (mainly final fantasy games) and slow + mindless combat is just brutal.

For example:
Final Fantasy 10 - fast + strategic
Final Fantasy 9 - slow as hell + kind of strategic
Final Fantasy 7 - decent speed + mindless
Final Fantasy 8 - Fast as hell + mindless (still fun though)

If you want any further advice on that lemme know, I don't wanna bog the thread down if you already know where you're going.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »

I finished to setup the post-processing pipeline, it's actually a classic multi-pass system and we can now easily do things like that:

The idea is to use most of the time some glow and blur depending on the scene mood, and then for specific scenes like flashbacks for instance we'll use more special effects.

I also added an initial support for triggers and scripts, so we officialy have our first cinematic:

And I'm starting to realize all the work done so far, as such a simple cinematic involves a lot of modules like pathfinding, animations, state management, etc... everything created from the custom in-game editor. But it results on a script file of 3 lines, so I'm quite happy for now on how everything comes together! Smiley

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2015, 07:03:59 AM »

I just love the soft textures and palette in this game. So gorgeous. Nice work on the triggers too, you guys are moving along great...

YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2015, 02:40:03 AM »

Been following the progress of Wanderer on Twitter for a while, but never noticed you guys here Sad But now that I have, I'll keep reading the updates. Game looks fantastic and something I'd love to play.
SeriousCreeper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 02:47:35 AM »

This looks amazing, really love the art style and the animations.
I've been working on a pixel art sci-fi game myself as well but i am no artist so it's really difficult for me to create characters etc. I used very low res characters cause it's a lot easier for me to animate for now.

But seeing your characters, that's exactly what i'd love to achieve. It's great inspiration!
Time to go back and practice more i suppose heh.

And can't wait to see more from you guys!

@Serious_Creeper
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2015, 06:42:01 AM »

Thanks a lot for the kind words guys!

I'm still working on the interaction system, this time with points of interest (it's WIP of course):

We can also interact without being near of the POI by "looking" at it using a visibility cone, I'll show more about it another time but it's mostly implemented. Now I'll start to implement proper actions like looting a body or using items.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2015, 04:41:47 AM »

Hey guys,

I wanted to come back to talk about something a bit different this time: Marketing! As currently we're putting quite a lot of our efforts on promoting the game to be able to achieve our world domination plans! And feedbacks about those plans would be really appreciated!

First of all, our current objective is to make a Kickstarter campaign, we're currently planning it for September, and among other things it will allow us to actually move full time on the project (specially me as I still have a job to be able to feed my family composed of nearly 2 children, the second one comes very soon, and those little things eat a lot... :/).

To maximise our chances of success, the idea will be to first make a Collective campaign (in July if possible), we find that it's a good way to "warm-up" for the real one, and Square Enix help on promoting a campaign seems quite efficient. Meanwhile, we're of course trying to gather a community around the project, we're already active on Twitter and we started pages on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/WandererTheGame
And Tumblr:
http://wanderer-game.com/
The next step will be to create a dedicated website with a mailing list subscription and create pages on Steam Concept or IndieDB for instance. The goal is to have the wider audience possible when we'll start our KS campaign. I truly think that, besides from having an awesome video, having a good start is the key to success!

So all this takes us a lot of time in parallel of working on the game, and it will be getting worst as beginning of next month we'll start to specifically work on the trailer.
Now to try to get some attention from the press, we don't really have any plan for it yet, actually I even contacted "big" PR companies supposed indie friendly, but what I learned in return was that it was super expensive and I don't know how indies can afford it, or they explained to me that press doesn't care about KS if we're not famous industry veterans, so they won't be able to do anything for us... My initial idea was to provide a demo to get some attention from them and ideally some previews or let's play from youtubers, but the timing is really short and the trailer is of course the priority. Finally I think that press won't be a priority at all for us, we'll try to get enough attention from other channels and it will be a bonus if we're noticed by them.

Next step will be to investigate some other marketing options like reddit for instance, it's still something I don't understand, and then we'll spend our summer preparing the campaign! I must admit that my current job is starting to be really boring compared of what I'm doing for this project (well actually even compared to anything else), and I can't wait to know if I'll be able to turn it into my actual job (yep it's going fast, started a couple month ago and I'm already envisioning it this way)! Smiley

And finally, to not post without anything to show, Kaiser is currently updating the main character design, we hope you like it:

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:08 AM »

It's all very high-level but off the top, I think your current plans all make sense. Gives you plenty of time to build up a base of fans, polish the game, create a trailer. I can also see this game doing really well on the Collective so you're right-- could really help make for a nice "test run" and if you're successful there, can only help.

Congrats on having a 2nd kid on the way. Cant imagine trying to juggle a job, game development and raising a family. Bravo...

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2015, 06:54:37 AM »

Congrats on having a 2nd kid on the way. Cant imagine trying to juggle a job, game development and raising a family. Bravo...

Hehe merci ! Smiley Actually it's why we're doing the campaign in September, it's more or less the moment I estimated I'll make a burnout if I keep doing everything in parallel... Smiley

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2015, 12:13:54 AM »

I just integrated some new WIP crouch animations:

You can notice the transition animations between states! Smiley And yep it's still sliding, we'll correct it!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »

Really glad you guys are pushing this forward into the KS planning phase - everything you've talked about, in terms of starting to really push and develop a solid backing and fanbase now is right on. It sounds like you've covered most of the main avenues, twitter, FB, etc - but yes, even reddit should be considered.

As a very basic intro to reddit - it's divided into millions of "sub" boards. For example, here is a subboard titled "IndieGaming"

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/search?q=indie%2Bgame&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all

You can find numerous similar reddits, and post your updates/KS links in there. I'd just go to the main reddit page and search things like "indie games" (which is what I did to find that one). You'll end up with tons of results, and it will show you how many people follow each group, so you can target larger groups, etc.

Cheers!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2015, 04:34:05 AM »

Thanks for the advices about reddit! Yep I started using it and I'm trying to be active on IndieGaming to not fall into the spam and self promotion rules. Smiley I'm still not sure if I'll just use it to link on our campaign when it will launch or if I should do a proper self promoting post prior to it... And about the other subrredit, I must choose wisely where to post (still for the spam rules), and I'm not sure if it worths posting on something like Gaming or Games, it seems there's no KS campaign doing well on them.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2015, 05:50:50 AM »

Yes, Reddit can be very weird/picky about things. I'd agree - broader forums like "gaming" probably won't care too much - I'd target anything related to "indie" gaming, specifically.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »

Your game really looks fantastic...nice combination of low- and hi-res graphics Smiley

It's really a bit tricky to market and get a bit publicity. Best of luck with the upcoming kickstarter etc. I'll back it for sure Smiley

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »

Crazy levels of ambition and talent on this project.

I actually think Kickstarter is a good way to go, I'd be interested to hear how much you're looking for to finish it but I think the fanbase is definitely out there.

Will you guys do an alpha demo for backers?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:39:11 AM by Bluebutton » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic