Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:43:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Wanderer - Lo-fi Sci-fi Adventure RPG  (Read 67018 times)
Thinkr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »

Really digging the art style for this game. Would love to back it via Kickstarter.

Good luck on the development!

I make stuff.
KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:03 PM »

Really glad you guys are pushing this forward into the KS planning phase - everything you've talked about, in terms of starting to really push and develop a solid backing and fanbase now is right on. It sounds like you've covered most of the main avenues, twitter, FB, etc - but yes, even reddit should be considered.

As a very basic intro to reddit - it's divided into millions of "sub" boards. For example, here is a subboard titled "IndieGaming"

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/search?q=indie%2Bgame&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all

You can find numerous similar reddits, and post your updates/KS links in there. I'd just go to the main reddit page and search things like "indie games" (which is what I did to find that one). You'll end up with tons of results, and it will show you how many people follow each group, so you can target larger groups, etc.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips! I'm pretty clueless about reddit personally, so your primer is much appreciated. Smiley We'll definitely check it out.

Your game really looks fantastic...nice combination of low- and hi-res graphics Smiley

It's really a bit tricky to market and get a bit publicity. Best of luck with the upcoming kickstarter etc. I'll back it for sure Smiley

Thanks so much for your kind words and your support! I'm still trying to find the right balance of simplification and detail in the hand painted stuff to compliment the low-res characters, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it!  Grin

Crazy levels of ambition and talent on this project.

I actually think Kickstarter is a good way to go, I'd be interested to hear how much you're looking for to finish it but I think the fanbase is definitely out there.

Will you guys do an alpha demo for backers?

Thanks! We're not quite settled on how much we'll need for the KS, it will depend on several circumstances including how far along we are in development when we get to that point. I'm quite encouraged to see how well the somewhat mechanically similar KS project Tokyo Dark is doing though! It's almost up to $115,000, which is way beyond the ballpark we'd be asking for. We're hoping to run a campaign on the Square Enix Collective in June or July, so that will hopefully help us gauge how much support there is out there for a somewhat oddball project like this there is out there!  Smiley

Ideally we'd like to have an alpha demo for backers, but again we'll have to wait and see where things are at that stage of development.

Really digging the art style for this game. Would love to back it via Kickstarter.

Good luck on the development!

Thank you! We really appreciate the support!   Grin

KaiserCVR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2015, 10:58:10 PM »

Sorry about the lack of updates recently all, so much to do, so little time!  Tired

Fenrir's been making awesome progress on prototyping mechanics. Here's a glimpse at an early implementation of the shield system:

And a behind the scenes look at my terribly scribbly design notes:

The shield system is intended to add some simple timing/reflex and risk/reward aspects to action on the 'field' (and will also tie into the actual combat phase of gameplay). Essentially there's two ways to activate the shield. Holding the shield button down causes the shield to activate normally. It takes a moment to become active, and when it becomes active it begins to quickly drain the shield bar. While active, Rook is immune to damage, and can still move around normally. When released, the shield bar begins to recharge, but any fully depleted segments will remain depleted.

The other way to activate it is by quickly tapping and releasing the shield button. This causes a 'pulse', essentially a 'parry' vs the standard 'block'. The pulse only lasts for a moment, but activates instantly. If it doesn't absorb an attack, there's a short window in which your shield becomes completely disabled. Upgrades to the 'pulse' will grant extra functionality, such as recharging the shield bar or stunning enemies upon a successful 'pulse'.

We also have basic implementation of the gun system up and running (obviously minus the visuals):

The gun will be used to stun enemies on the field, interact with the environment for puzzles, and disable certain environmental hazards. We're currently looking into how to properly animate the aiming state, via either simple IK on a separated arm sprite or 'stepped' animation frames that cycle depending on the current angle of rotation.

Here's a look at an updated jump animation in super slow-mo (landing frames still under construction):

And some misc design stuff:

Until next time, cheers!  Smiley Toast Right

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2015, 01:33:55 AM »

I actually think Kickstarter is a good way to go, I'd be interested to hear how much you're looking for to finish it but I think the fanbase is definitely out there.

Will you guys do an alpha demo for backers?

As Kaiser said it will depends on quite some factors, but basically if we do some maths like that:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/19/8624665/big-indie-kickstarters-are-killing-actual-indies
or
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-08-06-shovel-knight-devs-break-down-costs-sales

Let's assume that we need 10k per people and month of development. The idea would be to fund 6 months of dev from the KS to be able to release the first episode (yes we're going for an episodic form, directly developing the full game we're envisioning is not really realistic). But as we're both working from home, and we don't need to buy any expensive licences or hardware, and we'll try to get some other financial aids and make efforts, we can assume that 5k/month/people should be enough for us to live and pay all taxes. So we're around 60k for the dev costs, then you'll need to add KS fees, rewards costs and a budget for all the audio part of the game, and you basically get an idea on the minimum we would need! Smiley

About the demo, the best case scenario would be to provide one to everyone when the campaign starts, but it won't be easy to get it ready on time. Now about providing an alpha version to backers, it's definitely considered yes, even if I really don't like sharing unfinished work... Smiley

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2015, 05:25:12 AM »

Just some general feedback from my perspective. Feel free to ignore.

I think most "no name" indie devs can raise $10-25k via Kickstarter with a solid presentation. I think things get a lot more challenging when you pass the $35-45k mark and dramatically more challenging in the $70-100k range. Primarily due to the sheer number of backers you require. Those numbers rely on the fact that you WILL get press coverage from major sites. It would take over 2,000 people backing at $35+ to hit a 70k goal which realistically isnt possible for most devs without BIG press. So just be aware, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 35k+ KS that didn't get major coverage. So as long as you're aware your success will be hinging on if people decide (or decide not) to write about your game is something to keep in mind...

The problem with that Polygon article is that this assumes that Kickstarter is going to fund 100% of every expense in your game which is simply-- not how this works. Its not how it works in games, its not how it works in the "real" business world either. If a business raises money from venture capitalists, the money they raise isnt 100% of what the company needs. In fact, investors wont even invest unless the company founders can show how much money they're ALSO putting into the company. Not including "sweat equity", they want to see how much real money you're putting in. If you're not putting your own money into your company why should they? Why should Kickstarter be any different with funding your company? Expecting the backers to carry 100% of the expenses is unrealistic.

Every major KS success story has said the money they raised didn't cover all of their expenses. They all had to invest their own money, savings or go without pay. Even Shovel Knight (which raised what? 300k+) went unpaid for like 6 months AFTER raising over 300k dollars... I'm not suggesting you ask for less than what you need, just notating that funding every expense for the life of the project with KS is likely unrealistic.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2015, 06:52:41 AM »

Thanks Jon for your feedback, we'll definitely won't ignore it! Smiley
And I totally agree with you, it won't be easy! And actually we're mostly taking the Collective route because the last 2 projects they promoted made quite well on KS:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenseto/halcyon-6-starbase-commander
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114971883/tokyo-dark
And as Kaiser said, Tokyo Dark has some similarities with our project and they are "no names" like us. Smiley

Now nothing is yet settled, we still need to think further about it and make more advanced maths of course! But I must admit than from my backer point of view, I'm more confident with projects asking for realistic amounts compared to the team size and work remaining instead of teams of 6 people asking for 20k for a game to release in 1 year. I've run a company for quite some time and I know that motivation won't last long if everybody is not in a "healthy" financial situation.

In other news, our brand new website is available Smiley
http://www.wanderer-game.com/

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »

Website looks great. Subb'd to your list. I had forgotten you had mentioned The Collective, if they were supporting that would definitely help insure that press coverage and would be hugely beneficial.

Again, to clarify-- I wasn't suggesting you go for less than what you need. I'm not supporting unrealistically low goals to insure funding. I just tend to disagree with the Polygon perspective of both indies and AAA's needing 100% funding and AAA budgets via Kickstarter. I don't think many backers view the budgets as indicative of if they're willing to back or not and many successful indies have fared extremely well without attempting to raise 100% funding. There is a whole other discussion on if Shovel Knight would have ever even finished their game if they attempted to raise the $1+mm they thought they needed vs the $300k they got. But that's a whole other discussion haha...

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »

I would recommend to have a public demo or prototype with your campaign, it increases the chance of coverage on bigger sites who might not be as willing to cover things that can turn out to be vaporware. I'm not saying that I think you're dishonest, just saying that we live in a jaded world becoming more and more cynical each time some big name game ateur dissapoints. For example I think it was a deciding factor why our game was featured on RPS during our campaign since it was half of the focus of the article.

And let's not forget let's players. They can really boost your reach.

I also dig your game's style by the way, using all that atmospheric lighting really sets it apart and gives it well, atmosphere. Reminds me of Dungeon of the Endless in its execution (but not in overall style of course), which I also find to be one of the most beatiful pixel art games as of late.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:42:15 AM by Greipur » Logged

Dorian_SRed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2015, 10:40:25 AM »

Good luck guys! I really love last artworks (this spaceship, <3).

Btw, I understand you need to pay taxes, etc. but 10k or 5k/month? I don't know if my past as a musician taught me to live with a small amount of money, but for "no names" indie dev, it seems to be a large amount of money, no? (I don't judge, I'm simply curious)

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »

Good luck guys! I really love last artworks (this spaceship, <3).

Btw, I understand you need to pay taxes, etc. but 10k or 5k/month? I don't know if my past as a musician taught me to live with a small amount of money, but for "no names" indie dev, it seems to be a large amount of money, no? (I don't judge, I'm simply curious)

Don't hesitate to have a look to the 2 articles I posted for more details. But it's basically based on "industry" standards, and of course you can manage to live with less (anyway don't under estimate taxes, it's almost 50% of the amount, mostly in a country like France), so it depends a lot on your situation. Smiley

Dorian_SRed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2015, 06:35:02 AM »

Yep, I just read it. Ok they include "individual expenses for the employee like salary, health insurance, etc. and company expenses like rent, electricity, water, food/snacks, conventions, computer and other equipment, software licenses, lawyer fees, taxes, development kit expenses...".

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2015, 12:29:55 AM »

Our collective campaign is up:
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/140/wanderer

Everything went very fast, we submitted a first draft last week and Friday they proposed us to start it today, and Kaiser made an amazing job on improving our draft on a so short period to have everything ready for today! Smiley

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2015, 06:16:59 AM »

Best of luck to you! I'm curious how much extra exposure you'll get from first being featured on the Collective, so if you'd want to indulge in numbers afterwards I'd be delighted to read that.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2015, 11:48:50 AM »

Strange I hadn't heard about Collective until very recently, but it seems like a decent way to shine some light on some interesting games. Also it appears you campaign info is really put together, so good job.  Gentleman

Right now I am working on a first person horror game and we are doing a campaign soon, and its a lot more work than I thought. Also I have worked with people who were super talented and had great games but still struggled with getting the word out. I think it takes a combo of a great game - a great presentation, and some popularity.  And I'm pretty sure that there will be a slew of companies that will be solely focused on creating engaging campaigns.

I think the shield system sounds really good! Creating the perfect combination of risk vs reward aspects, while leaving plenty of room for the player genuinely develop a skill using it would make it really fun.

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2015, 11:56:29 PM »

Best of luck to you! I'm curious how much extra exposure you'll get from first being featured on the Collective, so if you'd want to indulge in numbers afterwards I'd be delighted to read that.

Sure, we'll probably do a post-mortem after the campaign (after checking if we can share numbers Smiley)!

Right now I am working on a first person horror game and we are doing a campaign soon, and its a lot more work than I thought. Also I have worked with people who were super talented and had great games but still struggled with getting the word out. I think it takes a combo of a great game - a great presentation, and some popularity.  And I'm pretty sure that there will be a slew of companies that will be solely focused on creating engaging campaigns.

I think the shield system sounds really good! Creating the perfect combination of risk vs reward aspects, while leaving plenty of room for the player genuinely develop a skill using it would make it really fun.

Thanks for the comment! Yep getting the word out is definitely the most difficult part... Good luck with your project!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »

Hi guys,

Just a quick update about our progress. I implemented rough versions for everything concerning the platforming/exploration parts of the first areas we're currently creating, so I'm finally moving on the combat system! Smiley I started by setting up all the architecture behind this new mode, and how to switch from the platforming part to it, and now I'm starting to implement the proper combat mechanisms and it's really exciting!

Here's the current basic transition:

KaiserCVR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2015, 03:40:42 AM »

Hey all! As Fenrir said, he's beginning to work on a prototype for Wanderer's battle mechanics, so I thought I'd take some time to talk about the battle system's V1.0 design. This is just the general foundation we're starting from; as we test and experiment there will of course be all kinds of adding, subtracting, and tweaking going on until we get something that's balanced, fun, and unique! The goal is a system that's quite fast-paced and fluid for a not straight-up action RPG, while still maintaining a solid core element of strategy and tactics. Smiley

Some of the influences of the system's design include:

Paper Mario series - Small damage/stat numbers, horizontal character layout, and action/timing commands that effect attack/defense effectiveness. I really enjoyed the battle system in these games, and I found there to be a lot of charm in it's relative simplicity. Wanderer's system is my attempt to expand upon it's basic structure by adding a few additional layers of complexity and cranking up the difficulty level a bit.

Chrono Cross/Xenogears - Stamina meter + multiple strengths of attack. Though it seems most agree these games had battle mechanics that ultimately left something to be desired, the multiple attacks per turn mechanic was one I always liked!

Rogue Galaxy - Real-time pacing, stamina meter and active guarding, and two weapons per character (melee and ranged) each with slightly different characteristics. Another really enjoyable system, and though it was more of a full on action-RPG it still had some hybrid elements reminiscent of a classic turn based system. Wanderer is has a very similar balance of dynamics, but on the other end of the spectrum (mostly turn-based but with tinges of real time).

X-COM series - Limited amount of resources that make every choice count, and a lot of emphasis placed on making risk vs. reward choices. This one's more of a loose conceptual influence than a direct mechanics one, but I really like how in X-COM every decision holds a lot of weight and every battle is one that could potentially be lost if you become too reckless.

So basically combat is all about managing the 4 resources each character has, each which has various offensive/defensive strategic uses and differing levels of risk vs reward. At a glance, the combat structure will be fairly familiar to any JRPG fans. Reminiscent of Final Fantasy's ATB system, each character has a turn counter which slowly fills over time. When it fills, that character becomes available for action; you can command a character to attack, defend, use a skill, or use an item. Each character has a different turn counter speed, so some will be able to act more often than others.

Unlike a classic turn based system however, character's don't have static 'turns'. While issuing commands to one character, other character's (and enemy's) turn counters continue to fill and if multiple characters are ready to act, you can freely switch between them and use their turns in any order. A character's turn is 'spent' when they choose an action, and their turn counter begins to refill when the action has ended.

You can move the selector between characters freely with the analog stick, and make use of the active defensive maneuvers (which are different than the static 'defend' command) with the currently selected character at any time as long as you have the necessary resources. I'm still playing with the way enemy attacks will exactly work, specifically how to clearly communicate which character is being targeted by a ranged enemy attack. Though there might be a visual cue (like the menu fading slightly, or a subtle camera shift), the game won't necessarily stop to announce an enemy is taking it's turn. It will simply attack when it's turn becomes available.

Character positioning plays a big role in battle. Allies and enemies are lined up on a 2D plane; you can have up to three characters in battle, but only the character (and enemy) in the front row can use basic melee attacks. Other characters have to use ranged attacks or skills to attack, but characters can freely move forward or backwards in line without ending their turn, swapping positions with the adjacent character at the cost of some Stamina. The character in the front is generally going to be taking the most punishment, but is also in the best position to deal it out.

Enemies will be able to shift positions as well, and some skills will allow the player to knock an enemy backwards or pull an enemy forward (for instance, to knock a high defense 'tank' type character to the back row and force a weak 'healer' type character to the front so you can kill them quickly with your melee character).

There are also occasions (via certain in-battle skills or being hit by an enemy on the 'field' to initiate the battle) when enemies may flank your party, meaning both character's in the front and rear will be in melee range. Likewise, some party member's will have skills that allow them to jump behind enemy lines, opening up the chance to attack from both sides to finish the fight more quickly, at the cost of leaving that character nowhere to retreat to if things start to go south.

After confirming an attack via the menu, the next stage works a little differently than the standard JRPG. After entering the melee attack phase, the normal flow of battle is put on hold until it's over (player and enemy turn counters temporarily freeze in place). The camera focuses on the attacking character and their target, and a new menu opens up showing the three strengths of attack you can use; each one has a different stamina cost, and you can attack as many times as you like as long as you have the necessary stamina points. You can choose to spend it all, or save some to increase your available pool for the next turn.

During the attack phase, the enemy will also be able to attack you; you can think of it a bit like Punch-Out!. Enemies have identifiable patterns, and their attacks will be telegraphed, so you'll have to watch closely and time one of your three defensive options correctly to avoid/reduce damage, or time your own attacks to interrupt the enemy's. The attack phase ends when either your character or the enemy dies, you run out of stamina or manually end your turn.

Ranged attacks work similarly, putting the battle on hold while the attack phase plays out. However, ranged attacks don't use the same stamina system as melee attacks do; instead, after the sequence begins the player can freely switch between enemy targets and will have to press a button in a timing minigame to take a shot at the current target. Depending on their timing, they can either miss, hit, or 'critical' for bonus damage and when they run out of 'shots' their turn is over. The total amount of available shots will be upgradeable via a skill on each character's skill tree, so if you use a certain character for ranged attacks often, you can choose to increase their long range effectiveness.

This sequence will also have a timer, so the player has to use all their shots within a certain time frame or their turn ends anyway. In terms of balance, ranged attacks do less damage than melee, but being able to switch targets means you can potentially kill multiple enemies who have been weakened in a single turn while conserving resources.

The last major element of the system are Skills, which each character will unlock for use in battle as you level them up. Various actions in battle will build each character's Focus meter, and every skill will cost a certain amount of bars of Focus to use. Skills are what really set each character apart in battle, giving them each unique capabilities to open up your strategic options and give your party the edge. Each will have it's own specific function, and executing it will involve a short-mini game that determines it's success in the vein of Paper Mario or South Park: The Stick of Truth.

So, that just about covers it for a general overview of the system. There's some stuff I glossed over, but I'll be back next time in Part II with additional details!  Grin

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:18:54 PM by KaiserCVR » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2015, 04:55:36 AM »

Cool breakdown on the mechanics, like some of the ideas you're using regarding turns and how you can swap between available characters. Sounds like you will definitely need a solid strategy in the combat. Really great to see how well you and Fenrir are working to bring this game from really cool concepts to life.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »

Hi guys,

We're still super busy on the battle system for the game, and Kaiser posted a great article about it on our Collective campaign:
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/140/wanderer/updates/113/kill-or-be-killed
(I'll try to make a post-mortem about the campaign next week, don't hesitate if you have specific questions about it)

And on my side the combat prototype is starting to take shape and even if I must not be totally objective I'm finding it quite fun and tense, it's a good sign! Smiley

Really great to see how well you and Fenrir are working to bring this game from really cool concepts to life.
Thanks a lot! I'll try to come back soon to discuss a bit about how we're working together!

And finally a concept Kaiser made with combat poses:

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2015, 05:14:10 AM »

Hi guys!

I've been quiet recently as last week I finally had a new little member in my family, and he decided that being active during the night was a lot more fun than sleeping... Smiley

Anyway we keep working very hard on the project! And we just finished our Collective campaign with 90% of YES votes! We're really happy with the result, even if we secretly hoped to do a bit more (something like Tokyo Dark and their 94%). But it's a good thing as it reminds us that we still need to work hard to promote and explain the project. As I think that the major issue currently is that the game has an episodic format, we received quite some questions about it. The other issues I think is of course that we still don't have any video (and not enough gifs too), that's why we're currently working a lot on polishing and animating to be able to show more parts of the game. Anyway this campaign will be a great help for us to build the real one on Kickstarter, we know what to promote in priority and what to explain more.

To give some numbers, we had a total of 441 votes (I was expecting more but the registration process must stop a lot of people, and unfortunately we don't have any number of page views). It brought quite some traffic on our website (36%), less than Twitter (38%) during the whole month but more than other social medias like Facebook. I can't tell the direct impact on our alert mailing list registrations (we created it just before launching the campaign), but it grew steadily during the whole period, I'll see now if it slows down (but with the summer it's more likely to).

So now the next step is of course to prepare the KS campaign, and we're actively polishing the game to be able to have something to show or share as soon as possible! We added for instance animations to the environment to make everything less static:

See you!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic