Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:55:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRocket Fist - Throwing one punch at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Rocket Fist - Throwing one punch at a time.  (Read 22904 times)
DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2015, 10:22:02 PM »

So today I took the games to Full Indie, a cool Indie Devs Meetup that happens over here every month. I showed Ex-sword-stential crisis to a couple of people but as I was head to get my head back into Rocket Fist mode, and Full Indie always gets me pumped and full of ideas, I got some people to play the singleplayer mode (but most of the time… multiplayer, because it's way more fun and more people can enjoy it at once XD)

So, I've been struggling with the singleplayer for a while, it's nowhere as fun as the multiplayer and sometimes it actually feels a little slow/boring. So I wanted to see some people playing it while I watched to figure out what kind of things I could do to improve their experience. I also talked quite a bit with a friend of mine that was there (the guy in the first picture), he's an awesome game designer and always has great suggestions.

One thing he noted was that one of the greatest feelings is when you get to bounce weapons from each other in a cool way, and that's also something I love about this game, since I first implemented it. With the scrap weapon, the weapon you get with most abundance in the game (you get it by dash bumping into an enemy, so you have a pretty infinite supply of it), that is kind of lost. The weapon is a single-use only, you throw it, if you miss an enemy, it sticks to a wall, and you lost it.

Losing the weapon and having to re-do a dash bump to acquire a new one was quite frustrating, sometimes it's hard to aim and a battle would be way longer than needed just because you keep missing the shots by little. So the idea is, you can still retrieve it from the wall, the weapon will only be destroyed if it actually hits the enemy.

So I went back and changed the code for this change to work, and when I tested something I didn't quite foresee happened. When I threw a scrap weapon and I hit a scrap weapon stuck on a wall, it bounced back. And while I didn't foresee that happening, it actually felt good to me. It had a similar effect ot the weapon where weapons bounce and I feel good for doing something cool, so I think that is part of the solution Smiley

I have some more ideas on how to improve the scrap weapons, one of them is to have the upgraded scrap weapon explode into it's smaller unupgraded pieces when hitting a wall, and those pieces come away from it with enough speed to damage a nearby enemy, which would be one extra reason to try and upgrade your weapon (by picking more scraps while already holding a scrap). The other idea is to add a little explosion when a scrap-to-scrap collision happens, so you could throw a scrap into a bunch of scraps and cause a cool chain-reaction with scraps flying to different places.

Well, but those will have to wait until tomorrow, I need some rest! I know I only took a 2 day break from Rocket Fist, but I'm so pumped to work on it again :D

The_RonJones
Level 0

Ron Jones The Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2015, 11:56:06 PM »

I'm enjoying the concept of this game... Looks very fun, good luck with it!!

My nipples are Indie...
DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »

I'm enjoying the concept of this game... Looks very fun, good luck with it!!

Thanks! :D I'm always happy to actually read that there is someone reading and enjoing XD I'm hoping to have a playable build online soon (Even though I've been saying that for weeks). I just want to get the singleplayer to a point where I actually feel it's fun first.

Today I implemented the other changes I mentioned yesterday about the scrap weapons. Now the upgraded one explodes on contact with a wall distributing it's components equally around it ( Took me some time to program the math behind calculating the angles for this distribution ><; Math is definetly not my strong suit )

I also made whenever 2 weapons hit each other, they create a little explosion between them that can impact other nearby weapons, which creates some cool chain reactions when throwing scraps into other scraps.

With those 3 changes (2 today, one yesterday) I feel the singleplayer is already much more dynamic and less boring/repetitive. It's still not super fun, but it's taking steps to the right path I believe.

I also did a bunch of quick fixes in singleplayer bugs I noticed while people played on full indie (Especially a pathfinding bug that made aggro-able AI go crazy). And made the enemies drop between 1 and 4 scraps when dying, which lets players always have at least 1 scrap laying around after killing an enemy. Another thing I did was to limit the amount of upgrades a scrap weapon can get, so things don't get too crazy like in the video.

One last thing I did today, I will probably not make available for players, but helps me in the development… Sometimes I want to get just the right screenshot, but it's hard to time the unity editor pause just right, and then I have to find the camera in the hiarchy to move it, and then the particle effect is not how I wanted and… ugh! So I created a cool script that with a button lets me slow down time using my mouse wheel, with another button it lets me set the timescale to 0, effectivelly “pausing” the game, while toggling the camera into a free-roam mode, which allows me to get the timing right for cool screenshots in nice angles/camera positions :D (+ a button that allows me to step frame by frame if what I want is not actually there yet).

Well, that was it for today Smiley It was a productive day.

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2015, 12:38:21 AM »

Today I fixed some more little bugs and made some more little changes.

When people were playing I saw a lot of people having trouble to hit the enemies with the dash, the dash would fall short and they would find themselves too close to the enemy and get hit. So I increased (for the singleplayer only) the range in front of the player in which the dash will do a dashbump, I plan on making a particle effect in front of the player doing the dash like it's an actual attack. That made the dash bumps easier to connect.

I also bumped up the amount of knockback that both the enemy and the player receive from the dash. To make extra sure the player would have an easier time not getting hurt, I also decreased the player's collider a little bit, so the player needs to get closer to the enemy to get hurt.

Playing around with the screenshothelper I did yesterday, I wanted to make things prettier so I started messing with some settings and fiddling with some particles (Made improvements to the dash particle, rocket trail particle, and created new particles for when you equip a weapon and upgrade a scrap weapon). I found out that I didn't have DX11 turned on, and by turning it on things became way nicer and better antialised. I also fiddled with the Ambient Occlusion script and it now feels better as well.

This is how the game is looking straight from my screen, without the super sampling and color correction I usually do for the pretty screenshots. It looks so much nicer than it used to <3

Talking about much nicer, I also fiddled with a supersampled screenshot of the logo, and made a png version of the logo and an icon version :3   It's prettycool to look at the build and see an actual icon instead of the default unity icon ^^

I sent the build to a few people to playtest and it seems that the changed I did to the singleplayer are making it better, I haven't yet had a chance to see someone playing in front of me though, like I have seen previous versions. I'll try to bring it in person for some people to playtest tomorrow in an event. It's so much easier to see what is frustrating and what is fun to people by observing them playing.

Well, that's it for now. I'm happier with the way the gameplay is going right now, so I might go back to doing more art tomorrow, I the environment to look a lot better for the greenlight trailer D: and I need a lot more variation.

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2015, 10:07:19 PM »

Today I didn't do much. Acting on the feedback I got from people using the keyboard to play, I added a way to aim and shoot with the mouse.

It checks for the mouse position every few mili-seconds, and if the position hasn't changed in a while it deactivates the reticle and you can play just fine walking around. If you move the mouse the reticle is activated and the robot will be looking towards it. It will also shoot from the center to shoot directly at the reticle.

This made it way easier and more enjoyable to play with keyboard. I think the key to actually making it enjoyable as a whole now is in the enemies…

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2015, 04:40:52 AM »

just read up on your progress, very interesting read. I really like how you are making things more fun, it's something I struggle with myself. projectiles that are difficult to get results with are kind of frustrating and you have inspired me to try and do better Smiley
the fire breath on Uncle Knuckle seems to start a little to early and have not enough force/speed in my opinion. it looks like some particles end up coming out of his forehead.

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »

So, as a first step towards improving the enemies…. There was a weird bug with the aggro-able enemy AI. It was behaving a little weird and getting confused. Most enemies in the first playable test version were passive, which might have helped to the "slow feeling" of the game.

When doing the AI for the desert jam game I ended up figuring out what was causing that bug and how to fix it, so yesterday's task was implementing this fix back into rocket fist and the aggroable enemy is now behaving as expected Smiley

Yesterday was a slow day, I needed the rest after all those back-to-back jams ;/ and today while I thought was going to be a productive day, I woke up to a fire alarm test that they said is going to happen all day long. So I might need to sync the project to my laptop and try to find a quiet place to work somewhere else.

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »

So, once I introduced the mouse as a way of aiming (and eventually when I use the wiimote as a way of aiming), I knew I was going to have to make some strafing animations and implement them. Luckly, I had figured it our previously for another game and I just had to go back to some old code and adapt it for use on Rocket Fist.

Setting it up on the animator is pretty straight forward, I just needed to separate my "speed" float into a X and a Z speed, and pass those from the script into a blendtree. Soon enough I had my guy animating his run based on the direction he is looking at. Of course right now in the gamepad you cannot look into a place you're not running but who knows, I wanted to experiment with allowing for aiming with the right analog stick, so we might see that implemented soon enough.

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »

So, a couple of classmates asked me to teach them how to rig, and I was already wanting to make some new enemies for the game, as to have proper telegraphed attack animations (and proper attacks instead of simply hurting you by touching you). I think proper enemies might make the singleplayer more interesting.

So I made this guy, this is his original concept art in my white board. I reused some of the boss model to save some time on modeling him. As you can see on the concept, I'll mess him up a bit, and break some parts of him and expose his wiring, but I was in a hurry so I just did the symmetrical version first and rigged that, will do some broken variations later on and use on the same rig.

I haven’t animated him yet (Yesterday was a long day teaching the classmates how to rig XD) but he’s rigged and ready to go.

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »

I've been looking back into the devlog over my progress in these past 2 months of daily development... I'm starting to have a feeling I've made a mistake putting so much work into the singleplayer, that still doesn't feel fun for me.

The multiplayer has been fun and well received since it's inception, since it had about 3 hours of work put into it. The singleplayer after about 160 hours of work put into it, is still just "meh.. ok".

It's effectively 2 different games I'm developing, and the one that has received the most attention and time investment, sucks, while the other is pretty awesome and fun with minimal effort. I'm starting to doubt if I should put more hours into the one that hasn't proved itself.

I started making the singleplayer because I figured people would want to be able to experience the game without friends around, and the singleplayer mode could fill that void... but would it? If I can't make it fun it could even devalue the game, as people could judge the game based solely on the singleplayer experience. On the other hand, it could eventually be a fun and enjoyable experience if I sink a lot more time into it, but should I take the risk?

Now I'm thinking of how much more awesome the multiplayer could be if those 160 hours have been invested into it instead.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »

Interesting analysis. I haven't played it, so I don't have an opinion on how fun it actually is. Still, having NPCs and joint boss battles (a la Mario Party) could make your time worth it, even if your current single player mode isn't fun. Even if you drop working on that, you might be able to make use of some of that work.

Maybe the single player experience should be like multiplayer, but with fun AIs to take the place of friends. AI that simulates a variety of play styles might be cool.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2015, 05:46:25 PM »

I have to commend you for using Arrested Development.

What's giving you the impression the single-player is "meh"? Player feedback or you playing it yourself? I find it very hard to gauge my own work by playing it myself. Things that I dont think will work do and things that I feel are working... don't. You should consider a public demo of the single-player for feedback? I've received a lot of great feedback on my game from people on TIG. You may find they can give you guidance on what is or isn't working.

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »

Interesting analysis. I haven't played it, so I don't have an opinion on how fun it actually is. Still, having NPCs and joint boss battles (a la Mario Party) could make your time worth it, even if your current single player mode isn't fun. Even if you drop working on that, you might be able to make use of some of that work.

Maybe the single player experience should be like multiplayer, but with fun AIs to take the place of friends. AI that simulates a variety of play styles might be cool.
Indeed, I guess it wouldn't be work that goes into the garbage, I could make use of it in a game mode still, I could even pick up the singleplayer back again in a later date and figure it out in a way that's more fun, improving this work, but I guess I really should be focusing on the multiplayer right now.

I do want to do AI for the multiplayer so it can be enjoyed by a single person, but damn, that AI to mimick an actual player, knowing what to do and having strategy, it's so daunting I barely know where to start D: I know I'm going to have to tackle it eventually though.

I have to commend you for using Arrested Development.

What's giving you the impression the single-player is "meh"? Player feedback or you playing it yourself? I find it very hard to gauge my own work by playing it myself. Things that I dont think will work do and things that I feel are working... don't. You should consider a public demo of the single-player for feedback? I've received a lot of great feedback on my game from people on TIG. You may find they can give you guidance on what is or isn't working.
Hahaha thanks xD I love arrested development, not too long ago I heard that netflix is going to make a new season and I'm already hyping :D

You know, it might be more me than player feedback... I watch people playing both the multiplayer and the singleplayer and people just go crazy with the multiplayer, with the singleplayer they play it and... I don't know, I don't see the enjoyment, even though they say it's good or interesting. Also the fact that I don't enjoy myself when playing the singleplayer doesn't help... I love fighting my friends on the multiplayer though.

I posted it over on reddit last Feedback Friday, they didn't really say anything bad about the multiplayer other than the controls (Everyone apparently played with keyboard and I hadn't implemented mouse aiming back then), but from the comments no one tryed the multiplayer... Maybe I should post it over on the Playtesting session of Tig and link them to my unsure-ness about the singleplayer?

Well, If you guys want to try, here's the latest version:
http://rocketfist.me/in/WINDOWS
http://rocketfist.me/in/OSX

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »

I gave it a quick go. (Super busy these days.) I was on my own, so I played the single-player adventure mode. I only went through the first vertical beam up place (after the room with the two other robot things in it).

It might be because I'm on a non-beefy laptop, but it was laggy in responding to controls. I found it interesting that the dash control was the same as the throw control. Is that to keep controls simpler or for pure gameplay reasons? In any case, I thought it was interesting.

And it's fun to pick up and throw junk. I didn't get to any actual fists yet, but I suppose they'd be coming.

Other than the lagginess, I liked it. Got to get back to work, though, so I can't give more formal feedback. And don't take the quick try as negative. This is one of very few games I've downloaded from this forum, and your Rocket Fist is one of my favorites that I've had an eye on here. Just actually little time, really.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »

So I gave the single-player a whirl tonight. I beat it in about 10-12 minutes, which surprised me a bit. So I did a second playthrough which went a lot smoother than my first run. Overall, I enjoyed it. It does feel like the type of game that would be better enjoyed with a group of friends, but that being said- there are some cool features here for single player.

-Menu & Graphics looked really good. Also, the Boss fight also looked really good as well (but felt a bit slow). Overall the presentation as a whole was really solid. You can tell you've spent a lot of time on this game.
-Landing punches feels good. Simple as that.
-Is there a health meter on the boss and I missed it? Other than the hands coming off, I wasnt sure if my hits were doing anything.
-I used a mouse and keyboard and did find the controls to take awhile to get used to. Particularly surrounding the keyboard controlling direction Im face and keyboards controlling the movement. After a few minutes (and accidentally walking into a few traps) I got the hang of it but it did catch me off at first. Because of that I often found myself walking and facing in totally different directions.
-Additionally, the dash also being tied to the throw did mess me up a few times where I would throw and then accidentally dash into (or close to) the enemy a moment later.
-I found the rooms a bit confusing to navigate just because of the similarities aesthetically. I never found the map much help either as every room looks the same on the map. Granted the demo isn't too large but in a larger setting I think it would get easy to get lost.
-Not sure how much difference there is between the rocket fists and the shards damage wise but there was a lot of times where I would be trying to pickup the rocketfists and would end up picking up the shards instead. Particularly if there were a lot of shards in the area.

Not sure what all your plans are for single player, but you may find it could be really spiced up with more precision based challenges. Complex dashing puzzles, landing the perfect punch on a button across the room etc. Additionally, some additional things to throw could open up a lot of other opportunities. Or perhaps even temporary power-ups to your rocket-fists like freezing effects or homing etc?

Hope this is helpful. Overall, I think you guys are doing a great job. I think its pretty common to find you're spending a lot more time on singleplayer vs. multiplayer despite the other feeling more fun (which of course it does, you're playing it with friends vs. artificial intelligence). It's always going to be more fun to punch your friend than a bot...

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »

I gave it a quick go. (Super busy these days.) I was on my own, so I played the single-player adventure mode. I only went through the first vertical beam up place (after the room with the two other robot things in it).

Thanks! :D that's pretty much the tutorial XD

It might be because I'm on a non-beefy laptop, but it was laggy in responding to controls. I found it interesting that the dash control was the same as the throw control. Is that to keep controls simpler or for pure gameplay reasons? In any case, I thought it was interesting.
The adventure is very unoptimized at the moment, each tile is it's own object, so LOTS of drawcalls XD I didn't want to merge and optimize things until I was sure a room was there to stay.
About the controls being shared, it started off as being to keep things simple, at one point in the multiplayer I experimented with allowing players to both dash and throw weapons, but that ended up breaking the balance of it. Right now, the player that has the weapon has both an advantage, for being able to kill, but also a disavantage for not being able to dash, which gives the player that cannot kill at least one advantage and a chance to change the tides. As I'm trying to keep things consistant between the single and the multiplayer, I kept the idea of only being able to dash without holding weapons for it as well.

And it's fun to pick up and throw junk. I didn't get to any actual fists yet, but I suppose they'd be coming.
Yeah, I've been fiddling with those pick up and throw mechanics for a while now, and I feel they are fun indeed, my guess on what is making the singleplayer not fun is the enemies you have to interact with.

Other than the lagginess, I liked it. Got to get back to work, though, so I can't give more formal feedback. And don't take the quick try as negative. This is one of very few games I've downloaded from this forum, and your Rocket Fist is one of my favorites that I've had an eye on here. Just actually little time, really.
Thanks ^^ Really appreciated, you're one of the few that has been actually commenting over here, always happy to see what you have to say :D

So I gave the single-player a whirl tonight. I beat it in about 10-12 minutes, which surprised me a bit. So I did a second playthrough which went a lot smoother than my first run. Overall, I enjoyed it. It does feel like the type of game that would be better enjoyed with a group of friends, but that being said- there are some cool features here for single player.

-Menu & Graphics looked really good. Also, the Boss fight also looked really good as well (but felt a bit slow). Overall the presentation as a whole was really solid. You can tell you've spent a lot of time on this game.
-Landing punches feels good. Simple as that.
-Is there a health meter on the boss and I missed it? Other than the hands coming off, I wasnt sure if my hits were doing anything.
Thanks, I did work quite a bit on that ^^
The boss has 4 letters on each hand, and those are the health meters, each time you land a successful attack one of the letter goes off. I see that's kind of hard to notice, I should probably add some UI with the letters on the screen to call more attention to it.

-I used a mouse and keyboard and did find the controls to take awhile to get used to. Particularly surrounding the keyboard controlling direction Im face and keyboards controlling the movement. After a few minutes (and accidentally walking into a few traps) I got the hang of it but it did catch me off at first. Because of that I often found myself walking and facing in totally different directions.
Indeed, the best way to control it is by using a controller Sad before the introduction of the mouse to play with just the keyboard was a pain, it's almost impossible to aim with precision without an analog stick or a mouse.

-Additionally, the dash also being tied to the throw did mess me up a few times where I would throw and then accidentally dash into (or close to) the enemy a moment later.
-I found the rooms a bit confusing to navigate just because of the similarities aesthetically. I never found the map much help either as every room looks the same on the map. Granted the demo isn't too large but in a larger setting I think it would get easy to get lost.
Yeah it can get confusing, maybe more art in the future could help on that aspect Sad

-Not sure how much difference there is between the rocket fists and the shards damage wise but there was a lot of times where I would be trying to pickup the rocketfists and would end up picking up the shards instead. Particularly if there were a lot of shards in the area.
The shards can be collected to cause more damage. The more shards you collect while holding one the bigger it gets and the more damage it will deal if hit. The Rocket Fist has the advantage of bouncing around though, and it deals more damage than an unupgraded shard.

Not sure what all your plans are for single player, but you may find it could be really spiced up with more precision based challenges. Complex dashing puzzles, landing the perfect punch on a button across the room etc. Additionally, some additional things to throw could open up a lot of other opportunities. Or perhaps even temporary power-ups to your rocket-fists like freezing effects or homing etc?
Would have to think about that, haven't really thought on how precision throw challenges could work considering you could just move closer to the target. Maybe if it was time based you would have to figure out a way to re-capture the weapon and throw again within a certain time-frame to hit all the targets.

I do have lots of ideas on different throwable objects and powerups. Boomerang fist, bomb fist, mine fist, homing rocket fist, yoyo fist(for some sort of melee attack).

I also wanted, for the singleplayer, to introduce upgrades to the robot, like more speed, longer dash, more bounce, throw farther, maybe even skill upgrades that would add one extra button with an extra effect with a cool down, like maybe pull fists towards you, slows down time, control a thrown fist, stuns nearby enemies, dunno, lots of possibilities.

Hope this is helpful. Overall, I think you guys are doing a great job. I think its pretty common to find you're spending a lot more time on singleplayer vs. multiplayer despite the other feeling more fun (which of course it does, you're playing it with friends vs. artificial intelligence). It's always going to be more fun to punch your friend than a bot...
It was super helpful Smiley it kinda made me happier about the singleplayer, even though I feel I should put it down right now to work more on the multiplayer, you helped to make me see there is some potential in there, and I should pick it back up eventually.
Btw, it's not "you guys", it's just me XD

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »

Well… so… Yesterday I had a problem with my Maya license… Long-story short, I'm now learning how to use modo. Modo is pretty damn awesome and I'm so happy with it’s features Smiley Hopefully I'll break the "learning new software" barrier quickly and get to do some awesome stuff at it soon.

I'm following a couple of digital tutors tutorials, that's my objective for this week, learn modo while making new environment assets… I also gotta re-rig the little robot D: so I might learn rigging in modo doing that as well… So… Nothing to show for today, and probably for the next couple of days.

In other news, I figured out that since there's no way I’m releasing in june, I might as well move to Unity 5 already. So I'll now be able to move on to the new Unity UI, and get the Audio Mixer in there so Thiago can mix the audio :D

Well, that’s it for now \o

My Loathsome Cowboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2015, 07:33:59 AM »

I'm downloading the build right now, and I'll give it a whirl a little later, but I just wanted to say your progress has been pretty damn inspiring.  The no-zero-days approach really got my wheels turning and I've been trying it myself, though I seem to cheat more often then not (fuck yeah opened unity today).

also

rocketfist.me

hahahahaha
DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2015, 11:37:10 PM »

I'm downloading the build right now, and I'll give it a whirl a little later, but I just wanted to say your progress has been pretty damn inspiring.  The no-zero-days approach really got my wheels turning and I've been trying it myself, though I seem to cheat more often then not (fuck yeah opened unity today).
It's great to read people commenting, usually it feels it's just me talking to myself xD

The no-zero-days approach indeed helped a lot indeed, especially coupled with the obligation of writing an update about my development, I also feel having a couple of deadlines in place I wanted to hit with something concrete helped me stay on track (The student contest, and now indiecade/indie megabooth). If you haven't yet, you should start a thread about it! :D It definetly helps, even if mostly it's just you talking to yourself like my case XD I feel that if I don't make real progress in a day (like today D:) I'm disappointing all these imaginary people.

I also cheat my no-zero-days a lot Sad To convince myself I'm not cheating I kinda changed it in my mind from "no-zero-days of work on rocket fist" to: "no-zero-days from game development work", that's how I've been able to justify taking some days to do Game Jams (Ex-sword-stential crisis & the desert game) and now I'm justifying my learning modo. I feel like I'm cheating, but in reality, I'm actually doing productive work instead of watching TV and playing games, so it's a win. Just gotta keep the ball rolling being productive.

also

rocketfist.me

hahahahaha

Talking about being productive... it's not much but...

My first foray into modo territory! :D So far I'm loving it, lots of things are soooo much easier and effective to do than their maya equivalent! Some things I'm still getting confused by, but I hope I can move past those soon and learn this tool, it'll make me better and more efficient Shocked

I was following this tutorial: http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1476-Your-First-Day-in-MODO

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2015, 05:55:26 AM »

Yeah it's not "cheating" to better your abilities. And you don't have to be drawing or programming to bettering yourself as a developer. I also try to focus on the "no zero days" approach to development but some days-- it's not coming to you and forcing it just leads you to re-doing the work later. Days like that, I try to find other ways to work less directly.

I couldn't get into it yesterday so I spent a good part of the day playing TIG games. Rain World, Rocket Fist (of course), Mable, Battle Brothers... it was refreshing to see what other TIG devs are doing and just take a step back from what I'm doing to get some perspective. Now THAT seems like cheating to just play games- but I only play games about 1 day a week so for me, as long as I feel like its helping refresh me or inspire me, then it's not time wasted...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic