Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1309606 Posts in 58621 Topics- by 49743 Members - Latest Member: Barbas

August 21, 2017, 09:53:05 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTacticrawl | Equippable Armour
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Tacticrawl | Equippable Armour  (Read 54619 times)
deab
Level 2

http://tacticrawl.net/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2017, 11:27:51 pm »

Professional Animation

I've started working with Rob Ramsay, a pro modeller and animator. Over time we'll be replacing my animations.

We've started with a 3 tile move animation. Characters can move 1, 2 or 3 tiles in a single action (and can do this twice in a turn). Previously I would play the 1 tile move animation for each tile, but this didn't look great, and was slow to watch.

When moving in a straight line, 2 or 3 tile move animations are now supported. Humans have a first pass 2 step, and the new 3 step shown below.

All animations are per race, so human only so far (fallback to repeated single steps).

Not shown in the gif, but where floor tile levels are different, I'm using curves to add a subtle bounce effect for hopping up, or a drop down curve when moving to a lower tile. It's subtle, but very happy with the results.

deab
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2017, 02:21:27 am »

Real time lighting!

Previously I used my own lighting based on the light sources in the world, propagated around the tile map (so walls and doors blocking lighting). A shader then coloured the game objects based on this light map by adjusting the vertex colours. I used a couple of directional lights (parented to the players camera) to bring out the shapes/edges, with a 3rd directional light to provide top down shadows.

The advantage of this system was I had full control (no bleed through walls) and could query the light map for gameplay mechanics (never actually used). The world had a very flat shaded look, which at the time I rather liked.

I've been dissatisfied with this look for some time now. Due to the use of directional lights, for shiny materials I had to use extreme values for metallic and smoothness, and with multiple directional lights colours were always much lighter than intended.

I've now made the switch to real lighting:

I can't bake light maps as the the world will be procedural generation, so I'm using point lights and a directional light for outdoor maps (with a day night cycle). As point lights are expensive, I'm using custom attenuation so the light reaches the full light range. I've also taken advantage of this for a custom fall off:

The lighting gives the scence dynamic soft shadows, with a warm look, much more interesting look.

Would love feedback on this change - do you like it?

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »

looks awesome, feels like a great improvement!

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
deab
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2017, 05:10:25 am »

New Walls, Surfaces and Audio

Long time without an update, but work has continued.

Wall / Room Rendering

The recent change to realtime lighting had the problem of light bleeding through walls unless shadows are 100% (ugly and harsh!) and I just could not have that!

The solution was to break the map up in to 'rooms' and split these across Unity layers. Unity Lights can be set to ignore specific layers so that seemed like the best method. Unfortunately this is limited to 4 layers per light, so I have to first determine each 'room', then allocate layers maximising the distance between rooms on the same layer.  

End result works really well, while also reducing shadowcasters per light, so double win! Other improvements along the way included:

• Walls and floors were previously separate GameObjects. They are now chunked together, split by room Id. A huge reduction in objects to render.
  • With the above change, I'm now revealing whole rooms at a time, rather than tiles in view - removing the need for the old '?' tiles that indicated unexplored space.
  • Rooms outside you current view are no longer revealed (other than doorways). Previously a 1 tile wide wall would mean you could see parts of open walls, which looked ugly and gave away room locations. Example in the gif below.

Surfaces / Item Placement

Items in the world can now have a surface, upon which other items can be placed. The gif below shows the Map Editor, but the same UI is used in game for the player to place items. No more lanterns on the floor!

To enable item's on top of other items, the map save format required a rewrite. I took the opportunity to start on a 'save' format that can be used for full save game files later. As the new format is based on object state, doors can now be set open or closed, and lights/fires lit state when designing a map.

Audio

Damian has joined the team to add sound to game. Footsteps, impacts and spell sounds have all received a first pass, and I'm really pleased with how this is coming together. I'll record a gameplay video at some point to show off the new sounds  Smiley

Other Changes

Lots more improvements and additions over the last few months including:

• Mana added to the game, used by spells, gained every term.
  • Prop (item) icons now dynamic, photos taken at runtime (used to be manual, created in the Unity editor)
  • Force system received a pass, triggers damage, audio & movement when impact received.
  • Bloom added.
  • More spell/buff effect visuals added.
  • First pass at character levels added.
  • Large items (doors, trees) now match wall effect when blocking camera rather than fade effect (so now scaled down on Y axis).
  • Texture layer added - planned to be used sparingly, I can now add textures to items and characters. Currently only used for wood (see crate in above gif).

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:16:24 am by deab » Logged

deab
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:16 pm »

I've been working on equippable armour. Chest, legs, hands, feet and helm can all now show a base 'naked' part, an armour part, or both. The gif below is my test setup, adding 1 piece at a time, and finally switching weapons in.

I'm not planning a loot heavy game, but armour does allow for player progression, and more variety in npcs. Why should all goblin warriors have exactly the same equipment? I'll be expanding the existing 'lootPack' system to include worn armour at spawn time, with percentage chance between pieces.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic