Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:03:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnso - A planetary twin-stick shooter, with space combat
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Enso - A planetary twin-stick shooter, with space combat  (Read 13267 times)
bithead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 08:42:51 AM »

Thanks for the feedback TankDuck!

The frosty background is definitely a nice touch, but for this project I've decided to limit myself to a purely fixed-function graphics pipeline as an artistic challenge. It would be possible to do the blur without shaders, but I think it might be fairly expensive. Seems like a fun challenge though, so who knows Grin

The HUD scale is actually misrepresented in those videos. I recorded with the game running at a low resolution, and UI elements maintain their native size to maintain readability. Here's a more representative screenshot:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »

Thanks for the feedback TankDuck!

The frosty background is definitely a nice touch, but for this project I've decided to limit myself to a purely fixed-function graphics pipeline as an artistic challenge. It would be possible to do the blur without shaders, but I think it might be fairly expensive. Seems like a fun challenge though, so who knows Grin

The HUD scale is actually misrepresented in those videos. I recorded with the game running at a low resolution, and UI elements maintain their native size to maintain readability. Here's a more representative screenshot:

That planet with the clouds looks gorgeous. Love this aesthetic

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
bithead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 12:15:40 PM »

That planet with the clouds looks gorgeous. Love this aesthetic

Thanks! Beer!

UPDATE 8

Prototyping Turrets

I've started thinking a lot about what the planet gameplay will be like. I want it to be action-oriented, which means swarms of robots, but I also wanted to have stationary defenses, and destructible "strategic" targets on the planets. The structures below were created to get a sense for how they look on a planet.

Blaster Turret

The rapid fire "blaster" turret is a short-range turret, which will attack the player character, and your ship if you get close enough.

Laser Cannon

The laser cannon is a long range defensive turret, which will lock-in on your ship from a distance, and cause a continual stream of damage for a few seconds, before stopping to recharge. I figure they'll act as a location-based deterrent, preventing the player from hovering, or landing near a specific area on the planet. You'll have to land somewhere else, and take them out on foot.

Comm Relay

The Comm Relay is a destructible, non-offensive unit. Destroying this type of unit might be necessary to complete certain side missions, but may also have an immediate benefit on gameplay (perhaps causing nearby units to be disabled for a short duration, for example).

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:55:56 PM by bithead » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic