Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:06:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGunmetal Arcadia / Zero
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Gunmetal Arcadia / Zero  (Read 13395 times)
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 04:11:34 AM »

Improvements on the Zelda/castlevania II formula are always welcome. Great idea, looking good so far, good luck with this  Coffee

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »

Working on some new sprites. Playing around a bit with the range of what the tech elves can look like. I like the idea that their ears are their defining characteristic, like maybe that's how elves judge enough, like, "Oh, look at that goofy long-eared fellow, what a joker."

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »

Top left, first one is my favorite. The spacing of the eyes is great!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »

I'm thinking about doing something like this for my key art / cover art. I had been planning to color it and add an environmental background and maybe some monsters in the foreground, but once I got it inked and scanned, I kind of liked the stark simplicity of it, so I just threw it against an orange backdrop and added some light swirly patterns to break up the monotony. Also it reminds me a little of this awesome Dark Souls t-shirt.

Any thoughts or feedback?

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »

After doing more work on salable gems, I got fed up with having to sell them off one at a time, so I added a "Sell All" option along with the value of the full stack.

Debating whether this should be the default option. Any opinions?

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »

Treasure chests!

Fun fact: my entire motivation for putting treasure chests in this game is so I can add mimics late in the game.  Waaagh!

Aaaaand here's the payoff:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:03:03 PM by J. Kyle Pittman » Logged

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »

New vlog on the making of those mimics.

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »

Just played through the whole game for the first time. Took about an hour, which feels about right for a game of this scope. Might be a little on the easy side at the moment, especially in the second half once you've bought a few upgrades. Definitely a lot of tuning left to do there and also in item pricing.

Didn't run into any really serious showstopper bugs, at least. Mostly just polish issues and the occasional non-critical bug.

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

Gunmetal Arcadia Zero is pretty much done at this point. I'm gonna sit on it for a couple more weeks just in case any terrifying bugs pop up, but otherwise it should be ready to launch early next month!

SCREENSHOTS!!

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »

So it's been a couple months since I updated this. Gunmetal Arcadia Zero launched on May 6 as a Humble Original, exclusive to subscribers of Humble Monthly. It'll be available in other places eventually. Meanwhile, I'm continuing to work on the roguelike Gunmetal Arcadia, and I've just started up my weekly blog and video series again after a few weeks of inactivity due to various roadblocks.

I guess I'll keep reusing this thread for the roguelike game. ::Waves goodbye to the icon::

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »

This week, I'm looking at automatically generating shadows for background tiles and handling input remapping on non-standard devices:

http://gunmetalarcadia.com/wordpress/occluders/

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »

I just stumbled on this devlog, this looks great! I actually just watched your GDC talk on building a better jump...not sure how you manage to pump out these games and still produce a great devlog in the process. Excited to see where this goes.  Toast Right

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »

New playable build heeeeeere: http://gunmetalarcadia.com/wordpress/in-dev-build-8/

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »

Just played it for 45 minutes and I gotta say it's very good. Been following the development of these games through the videos and this was I think the second build I played. It's way better than what I remember.

I came across this issue quite a few times. Nothing major but it looks like it shouldn't be there. It would be cool if enemies dies when they touch the lava as well, I was kinda expecting that?

Also, when you start the game, it says that there are 0 lives left. Of course this reflect the perma-death aspect of the game, but to a newcomer that doesn't know what the game is, this joke may go over its head and the player may think that he has to collect lives or that it's an actual possibility (is it?). I don't know, I'm not sure that that "joke" works that well.

Unless I'm not getting something...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:04:12 PM by alvarop » Logged

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 07:54:07 AM »

The "0 Lives Remaining" message is just a holdover from Gunmetal Arcadia Zero. It'll be removed before shipping. I was considering having lives on top of permadeath like Binding of Isaac does, but I've decided against that.

Enemies walking through lava is consistent with behavior in Zero, but it's not very interesting when enemies get stuck in there. I'm discovering that lava (and spikes and other traps) bring a lot of problems to the table, so I'll probably be limiting their appearance to known-safe configurations in the future.

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 02:45:03 PM »

Not totally sure whether "Legacy" is the nomenclature I'm gonna stick with (because of, you know, that other roguelike action platformer), but I'm finally getting one of the core promises of this game all hooked up in the UI and stuff.

Each time you play, the events of your previous session will have immediate results.

MaxTexeira
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »

Your game is awesome. It have that Retro feel of the NES age.
Also reminds me a lot to castlevania haha.

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »

Item chests! Eventually there will be more things in these...

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »

Looking good. Posting here just to follow along!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »

I don't think I've mentioned it here yet, but Gunmetal Arcadia has a release date: February 7, 2017. Gunmetal Arcadia Zero will also be available for all by the end of 2016, and I'll be making more noise about that as I'm able.

There's a new playable build here: http://gunmetalarcadia.com/wordpress/in-dev-build-13/ It's incrementally improved over the last build; major content production begins next month, so that's when new level tilesets and stuff will start appearing.

Requisite animated GIF:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic