Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:54:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA graphical remake of HHGTG (Infocom 1984)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A graphical remake of HHGTG (Infocom 1984)  (Read 4276 times)
Dualnames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:34:06 AM »

Well, first of all, to follow the rules. My name is James Spanos (yes, I use my real name on the internet), and I'm a sort of forum regular of the AGS Boards, Indie Game Designer, Blogger, Human. For the last 12 months, I've gathered a team of people to help me with a project, very ambitious and controversial, to remake the Classic Game by Infocom's Steve Meretzky and Douglas Adams himself.

That game is the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
We're not remaking it as BBC did, we're turning a turn-based text-based game, into a point and click game, but with still keeping all the cool stuff and adding hopefully more.

STORY:
Arthur Dent, a typical human, wakes up on an ordinary day, just to find himself trying to stop the local state from demolishing his house for the construction by-pass. His friend Ford, however comes and informs that the world is about to end in 12 minutes, for the construction of an intergalactic expressway.

SCREENSHOTS:
-Backgrounds-
2/8/2008<()>

I'm highly open to any critisism at all.

The link of the current built (Full game version):
1) You may report bugs yes, as long you actually tell us what the bug is about.
2) You may need nothing than a 800MHZ processor to play it (That's where I initially was builting the game)
3) Keep your towel and cup of tea, near whilst playing.
4)There's an AGS Engine bug, currently being worked on, that might make something appear in your screen. If it does, just quit the game and replay the game from beginning till that point without saving and loading. Actually it's better if you play the game (at least till you enter HOG) without loading or saving to avoid that bug.
5)Download

Coffee

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:33:30 AM by Dualnames » Logged
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:19:49 AM »

We're not remaking it as BBC did
Still the colours on screenshots remind me of it... Neon palette perhaps. Concerned

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
Dualnames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:04:43 AM »

We're not remaking it as BBC did
Still the colours on screenshots remind me of it... Neon palette perhaps. Concerned

I mean gamewisely. Wink
Cesque
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:20:13 AM »

Hey, I never even knew there was a game based on HGttG - well, now I know, and the remake sounds fun. I'll download and check it out today or so.
Sir Knight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:28:50 AM »

Hey, I never even knew there was a game based on HGttG

I Got the Babel Fish.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:15:04 PM by Sir Knight » Logged

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:31:35 AM »

I'm running Linux right now, so I haven't tried it yet, but is it as hard as the original?
Cesque
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:20:05 AM »

I just died three times before the end of the bulldozer scene, if that's any indication Wink So far - fun, though, yeah, most of the humour is text-based. Some things are pretty confusing, especially, I guess, if you never read Adams' book.
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »

first, I just want to say that this is pretty cool, but I ran into a couple bugs.

first, arthur dent occasionaly spun randomly while walking. I'm not sure, but it looked like it kept happening every time he came close enough to an object ot look like he was about to get stuck on it.

second, *minor spoilers* while lying in the mud, I used the toothbrush on mr. prosser, and a big section of the screen in front of hem went black. not the entire screen, but a square that obscured most of him and arthur dent. the weird part was that using the toothbrush prompted ford prefect to come and do his little part. the black part did not obscure ford*end spoiler*

cool idea though. the books probably rank among my favorite, and i've always wanted to see what the adventure game that was made for this would be like.
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 06:22:38 PM »

My game crashed when talking to ford when he offers you the towel while lying in the mud.

Here's the error message, for what it's worth.

Code:
---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0041B107 ; program pointer is +6, ACI version 3.11.1057, gtags (1393,344)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

in "CustomDialogGui.asc", line 103

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Dualnames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies..and the bug-tracking skills.

Sorry for the long reply guys, new version fixing everything up and adding cool stuff.

http://ledzepforever.googlepages.com/hhgtgbeta292.rar
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 02:20:37 PM »

The page you have requested could not be found. (404) Sad

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »

I loved this book, I really hope to see this game of yours conspire

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »

wasn't that the game that's basically the adventure game equivalent of I wanna be the guy?

Dualnames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:08:16 AM »

wasn't that the game that's basically the adventure game equivalent of I wanna be the guy?

Sorry for the long reply, yep sort of. You're supposed to see the book via Dent's eyes.
hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 07:15:35 AM »

Wow, what a great idea! This is my second favorite infocom game - it was really well constructed, as I recall - and therefore one of my all time fave games. Kudos and good luck!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic