Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:21:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsQuestica -- Another Gosh Darn Pixel Game
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Questica -- Another Gosh Darn Pixel Game  (Read 20315 times)
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2016, 04:38:36 AM »

Ah, what Oats said! I was thinking that too, but by the time I was done reading about the interface I completely forgot to comment about the fog.

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2016, 08:10:54 AM »

I already fixed the fog yesterday  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'll post a new video if anyone wants to see it, it does look much better! Pretty much every who saw it commented on the particles suddenly appearing and I for some reason never thought to fix that before  Durr...?

Just goes to show you have to playtest your games!

Working on Questica!

Devlog: Here!
Twitter: @purenickery
www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »

Alright, it's been quite a while since I updated the devlog, so I'm just going to do a quick run-down of what's been going on over the past few months.

First bit of exciting news is our artist, Cody, moved in to the apartment with me so we can work on the game together, which is a great help.

I have been working on a new and improved editor for the game and mods that should be super accessible and easy to use (I have already posted about this but it's gone through many improvements). I added some new data types to help with particle editing, such as:

Also after a bunch of banging my head on a table I have live previews of various things in the editor:

Many of the things I've worked on this year have been things I really should have done from the beginning. But I was a much less experienced programmer back then. Now I know better for the future! One of the things I should have done from the beginning is 16x16 tiles, which I implemented the other day. It makes the game look much more varied and alive:

Last piece of news I will share today (I've been working on a lot of other things of course, but I will share those in separate posts) is the new inventory system. We already modified it so items could be different sizes, but I recently implemented a feature where items don't have to take up all their slot spaces, and item images can overflow over the slot spaces they occupy. Hopefully it will make the inventory look more full and allow for better management of items.

And, like always, all of these tools will be available to modders!

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
Oblotzky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2016, 05:17:01 AM »

This looks lovely! I appreciate the thought for modding, that can really help your game growing in the future. The inventory micromanagement looks very neat with the non-rectangular layouts. And the environment looks very nice with all the motion, makes it feel very alive, good job!

What language/framework/engine are you developing this with?

Good luck!
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2016, 05:24:20 AM »

Item hoarders will love and loathe that inventory system. Obsessively rearrange stuff for hours of fun!

Also that particle creator is dang impressive! That's a lot of variables.

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »

This looks lovely! I appreciate the thought for modding, that can really help your game growing in the future. The inventory micromanagement looks very neat with the non-rectangular layouts. And the environment looks very nice with all the motion, makes it feel very alive, good job!

What language/framework/engine are you developing this with?

Good luck!

Thank you Smiley I am using Java with LibGDX mainly, with a few other libraries to help with code plugins. I want to make things as easy as possible for modders because I know it's one of the best ways to grow a community and make a dope-ass game.

Item hoarders will love and loathe that inventory system. Obsessively rearrange stuff for hours of fun!

Also that particle creator is dang impressive! That's a lot of variables.

I'm trying to think of ways to simplify the editor a bit while still keeping the same amount of functionality, but alas this is a hard problem Smiley

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »

Hacked together a feature where I can edit my game's shaders in real-time, for really speedy iteration times.

Here is the result of a bunch of messing around:

Also I released a video where I talk a bit about the Content Editor I've made for the game and show it off:

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »

Was messing around with my rendering code today and ended up doing *THIS* to my game! Do you guys like it?? Should I keep it??  Grin

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2016, 05:10:08 AM »

Shocked  Screamy

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »

It's been a little while since I've posted, but I've been hard at work on the new 3d stuff (We decided to just go ahead and make the game 3d! xD)

So let's get right to it:

By default, all object rotate to face the camera wherever it may be, acting as billboards essentially. However, this doesn't work for a lot of objects in the game, such as walls that need to appear flat, so I made a new resource loader that can load in different formats of boxes. Here is what the main castle wall image looks like and how it looks in the game:

resource file|

in-game

There is also an improved entity visualization system in the editor to better visualize 3d objects!

you might have already noticed I implemented a new shadow system that works just like the big boys do it, now things like this are possible:

And last big update is I got reflections working in the new 3d environment. Only things left to get working again are mouse-picking, UI elements, and lighting.

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »

Wow, that was a pretty spontaneous change in direction, are you going to change the gameplay with the graphics? Such magical things like map height and jumping?

eh
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2016, 03:32:30 AM »

Really digging the 2D pixel & 3D blended world. Gives a unique aesthetic look.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2016, 05:44:19 AM »

So is this gonna be a true 3d game or what?

Are the characters going to stay pixel-y or are they going to be some voxel polygon hybrid thing?

purenickery
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »

Wow, that was a pretty spontaneous change in direction, are you going to change the gameplay with the graphics? Such magical things like map height and jumping?

Absolutely! Climbing castle walls, big cliffs, whatever we can think of  WTF

Really digging the 2D pixel & 3D blended world. Gives a unique aesthetic look.

Thanks man!!

So is this gonna be a true 3d game or what?

Are the characters going to stay pixel-y or are they going to be some voxel polygon hybrid thing?

The characters and world will definitely stay pixel-y (however with mods people will easily be able to make full-res games). The game will remain mostly 2d, but you can rotate the camera to get a different angle of the world

Working on Questica!

www.questica.net
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic