Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:19:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHARDLINE GUNNER - challenging top-down shooter [Playable Alpha Demo]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: HARDLINE GUNNER - challenging top-down shooter [Playable Alpha Demo]  (Read 7378 times)
Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 05:21:20 AM »

I really like that you took a simplistic art style and made it look really dynamic and interesting, that's not easy to pull off.

I'd love to see some little enemies roaming around them, maybe even firing at each other for shits and giggles.
^Great idea.

Thanks. The art style all came out of my frustration with my own art skills. When I first started making games, I did my own art and hated it, changed it to pixel so it was easier to do and still it wasn't good enough.  Then simple shapes and finally just some squares.  Can't really screwup drawing a square so I am finally satisfied.

Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »

UPDATE 21: Reflect Wall Re-Code

These were never made properly and I always felt bad having them in the game in their lazily coded state.  Finally got around to fixing it up.

Here are how the old ones worked.  They would randomly reflect back bullets and anything reflected could hurt the player

The new version actually uses real math! The player's reflected bullets can not hurt him, only the enemy's. 
It is a bit more easy, which I hate, but it is infinitely more fun so I can live with that.

Watch this Yellow Sniper Enemy's super fast shot reflect up the hall way to deliver the killing blow. Nice!

Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2015, 05:30:04 AM »

THE POWER OF MATH COMPELS YOU!  This is awesome!  I'm happy to see that you're willing to trade off difficulty for fun.  It's a tough tradeoff for some people to make, but I think it will be well worth it in the end.

P.S. I love how the walls react to getting shot.

Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »

THE POWER OF MATH COMPELS YOU!  This is awesome!  I'm happy to see that you're willing to trade off difficulty for fun.  It's a tough tradeoff for some people to make, but I think it will be well worth it in the end.

P.S. I love how the walls react to getting shot.

It was tough. Totally against my NES-Hard philosophy.  My end goal is always to make a game I would love to play, hard but fair. So far I think I'm still on task.

Can't wait to get this build finished and submit it to Indie Insights

Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 06:27:16 AM »

UPDATE 22: Slowdown on Successful Spin Reflection

Was just trying something out and now I really like it.  For like 1/4 of a sec, I slow the game down 10x when the player reflects an enemy bullet.  It really makes timing consecutive bullets feel way more fun. 

Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 06:59:27 AM »

UPDATE 23: Enemies Can Use Your Guns: Spread Gun

Refactored some code around and now enemies and players now share all the Special Gun functionality.

Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »

UPDATE 24: Enemies Can Use Your Guns: Rocket Gun

Totally re-coded rockets. I wanted them to lob into the air and not be vulnerable to spin deflection.

I still need to balance their difficulty, damage and make it a bit more clear to the player exactly where the safe areas are.

Orun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 07:09:12 AM »

UPDATE 25: Beautiful New Health Bar Animation

To fix the problem that players would not notice how much damage they took per hit. I delay the health reduction to show exactly how hard you were hit.

I'm really liking the feel of the health bar now. It feels juicy and gives more info.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic