Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411470 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:57:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGamasutra on Flash games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gamasutra on Flash games  (Read 1601 times)
hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »

In case anyone hasn't seen it, there's an excellent article on monetization of Flash games over at http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3924/wheres_the_cash_for_flash.php. As a newcomer to indie Flash development (I haven't released my first title yet), it's very inspiring to see such large numbers (of dollars) in an article on Flash dev.

Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »

I was kind of underwhelmed by their 'high end' numbers, actually. The cited numbers for Dino Run are definitely liveable for two people, but I'm guessing they're before taxes, health insurance, business expenses, etc... Once you factor all that stuff in it's solidly in the 'well, okay' category, considering the amount of effort they put into monetizing their game just to reach that level. It's at least nice to know that you can bring in a decent revenue stream from flash games if you try hard enough.

hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »

Well, at least the numbers are enough to put Flash development in the realm of career path as opposed to hobbyist activity. That's encouraging to me.

And some of 'em are quite high - I believe I saw the number 400,000 in there as a theoretical annual income figure. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's... let's just say it's about 10 times what I make as a junior in the major game industry.  Beer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic