Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:38:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallIndie Game Development Vanguard (Facebook Group)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Game Development Vanguard (Facebook Group)  (Read 3686 times)
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »

Are you an Indie Game Developer? If the answer is yes you’re already part of the most important artist vanguard of current days.

Impressionists began as a loose association in 1860. Radicals in their time, early Impressionists broke the rules of academic painting.

That’s exactly what Indie Game Developers are doing right now: breaking the rules!

Join us! Join the Indie Game Development Vanguard! You can change the meaning of Art by making indie games!

Are Games Art? Hell, yeah!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:12:19 PM by Loover » Logged
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

You're assuming all indies are trying to innovate.
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »

True, but who cares about someone who isn't?

PS: Joined  Grin
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »

You're assuming all indies are trying to innovate.

Most indies who think they innovate aren't really either, though.
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »

joined. All false indies must diiiiiiiiiies!! Mock Anger

Available for Freelance
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »

Most indies who think they innovate aren't really either, though.

Well, not all impressionist were good artists. But if you feel the "indie spirit" (that's difficult to define too) and you make games... you are an indie game developer. It depends on your talent how innovative and good you would be.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »

/begin{soapbox}

Not to be a dick, but I think people cut other people down way too much in this community over ideological concerns. Personally speaking, I think it's all good if someone wants to do a retro shmup or an abstract art-game or a narrative driven story game or whatever. I guess the only things that annoy me are when people are blatant dicks (i.e., behaving in a self-important manner) or simply not trying (i.e., churning out a clone game because they don't think they can't do anything else interesting, which I guess happens a surprising amount, but hey).

I think you're entitled to mock the people who come in with their "im making an epic rpg its going to have a thousdand characters and a million endings and you can do anything will u program it 4 me?," but it gets me down when people say things like, "Art games are pretentious and stupid" or "I hate anything retro" or "I hate anything non-retro" or whatever. I think as a group we have a great opportunity to do what a lot of little loosely-knit groups of artists (or 'artisans' if you feel it's more a craft than an art) have done in the past, which is to lift other people up to the level of some of our more accomplished members, not push other people down with infighting and trivial crap.

There are a lot of very talented people here. I've found this place a really good resource for informed opinions, and I really enjoy seeing what other people are working on. Let's not ruin it with this whole 'true/false indies' thing, all right?

/end{soapbox}

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »

Well said. As long as you're working on the games you want to make, you're as indie as can be. Tiger Hand Thumbs Up Right

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »

Amen. I come here because I like being with people who are having fun and being creative.

There are lots of great conventional games happening, and there are also a fair number of really unusual games coming out of the community. I think there's lots of room for art (or craft) in both!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35:25 PM »

I agree with Chris 100%.  Gentleman

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:42:00 AM »

There needs to be some sort of Christmas Story game where some misleaded developer gets shown the light of Indie development.

The ending should be like the one in Little Big Planet.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 03:56:28 AM »

There needs to be some sort of Christmas Story game where some misleaded developer gets shown the light of Indie development.

Hahahah.

I'm agree with Chris too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic