Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 08:49:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMultiplayer VR chess
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Multiplayer VR chess  (Read 968 times)
captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »

Hi all,

I've been working on a chess game in SceneVR, since I thought it would be a fun game to play in 3D, with giant 2 metre high chess pieces, and watching your opponent walk around the chessboard while they decided what their next move would be.

The rules of chess are implemented using chess.js, so it should be pretty complete, but I'd be interested in the user interface, the layout of the board, and the other geometry in the scene, whether it is obvious what everything is for - whether it's cool? Smiley

The game is here:

http://client.scenevr.com/?connect=chess.scenevr.hosting/chess.xml

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:22:54 AM »

I am really down for multiplayer VR anything.
What engine are you using to render the chess pieces? I feel like it could look a lot nicer with some work

captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:22:37 AM »

Heya,

The whole thing is written in SceneVR, which uses three.js under the hood. This game was only about 180 lines of javascript, you can see the source code here:

http://chess.scenevr.hosting/chess.xml

SceneVR handles all the multiplayer stuff. I found the chess pieces in blender. They originally had a lot more subdivision on them, but I reduced the polycount to speed up load times. I'll probably come back and fix up the models in the future (the rook is a bit nasty). And possible bake an AO lightmap onto them. I also think the way i'm doing openGL lighting is a bit naff, the ambient light is too bright, and the sun is at a weird angle. Smiley
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:30:47 AM »

Ha wow I had a really interesting experience with this. I have never heard of scene vr before, but I loaded this up and started playing chess with some random dude online. After going through a few moves and discovering that trying to castle breaks the game, I saw a circular orange floating thing on the side of the board. I went to get a closer look, and when I clicked it, the circle grew in size into what looked like a portal. So I decided to walk through this portal and suddenly I'm teleported to another dimension that is the farthest thing you could imagine from online chess. Suddenly I'm in a solid gray room surrounded by the most random collection of objects I've ever seen. One corner had a floating tea pot, one had the chair morpheus sits in from the matrix, and there was a huge statue of an gray alien complete with a plaque and description of why aliens look the way they do. Seeing myself be teleported to a place like this from a game that I thought was just regular chess really freaked me out. I also played this in the middle of the night when I woke up from not being able to sleep. So it really felt like I was in some dream where nothing made sense. I actually still think I might be dreaming, I'm not completely sure yet. Is this real?

But yeah, castling is broken so I'd fix that.

captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:38:59 AM »

Fixed promotion and a few other bugs. Still working on castling. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic