Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:09:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeKrita - A free Photoshop Alternative?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Krita - A free Photoshop Alternative?  (Read 2690 times)
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:20:41 AM »

Hey Everyone some of my Concept artist friends are really impressed by Krita an open source Photoshop alternate, If you can't afford PS and dislike Gimp's UI etc this may be something you want to look at and check out Smiley

Has some really nice features like Symmetry and wrapping texture painting to create better seamless textures. check it out

https://krita.org/

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:42:36 PM »

The symmetry feature seems super helpful, can't wait to try it out for myself! Thanks for sharing.  Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:21:48 AM »

Just in case people have been away from GIMP too long, tho, about the interface: these days it is only one window and essentially the same as PS.

Loop Gain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »

That wrap-around feature looks quite well-implemented. I'll give this a shot the next time I'm making textures (or attempting to, at least).
herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:53:09 AM »

Krita is NOT a PS alternative. Feels great for painting and drawing but I end up defaulting to gimp when I have to do any kind of photo manipulation, editing, text... inkscape for vector work.

Where it shines is in the brush engine. Comes with several brush engines, but I only use the basic one, which is similar to PS, but allowing you to fine tune each feature to death. I miss some features from the PS brushes but hey.

Actual opinion: great program with a good workflow but bloated w/ shit that noone will ever use.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 01:23:23 PM »

I'm giving this one a try and so far it feels very much like Corel Painter. So maybe that's what they were aiming for. Which is great by me, I love Painter!

.nL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »

Yeah, definitely not a PS alternative, it lacks the precision for that. It's definitely the best open source painting app out there right now. Verve's a good piece of freeware for painting as well, but it's very different.
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »

Yeah, definitely not a PS alternative, it lacks the precision for that.
I don't know what PS is capable of but 32-bit float or 16-bit integer per channel and native colour space storage sounds pretty precise to me.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
.nL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »

I don't know what PS is capable of but 32-bit float or 16-bit integer per channel and native colour space storage sounds pretty precise to me.

Not from a raw technical perspective. But from the perspective of the toolset you're offered. Krita's a painting app first, so you lack some of the options that photoshop gives you to fine-tune images. Granted, if you can do it in Photoshop, you can do it in Krita. But not necessarily as quickly, and some things you'll have to eyeball yourself a little more. Krita's exceptional for what it is though, even by commercial standards. And it's currently my painting suite of choice.
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »

Wow i missed the responses to this somehow.. Some nice feedback, so far I've just been using it to do some symmetry and to try some nice little tile-able textures.. it seems pretty decent, but I agree its not a PS replacement i was expecting, more just another package i might add to my pipeline in certain situations Smiley

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
kverkagambo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »

Talking about Photoshop alternatives - there is a new app called Paintstorm Studio.
It's a real indie product, created by one developer (paintstormstudio.com).
I haven't tried it yet, and I am overall very new to drawing on tablet, but it looks quite good and is really cheap.

Plaguepunk Justice

Comrades and Barons: Solitaire of Bloody 1919
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic