Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:26:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDark Labyrinth (tentative title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dark Labyrinth (tentative title)  (Read 1325 times)
absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »

Dark Labyrinth is an Action RPG

I'm making art.
Nicolai is coding.

It'll be a mobile game.

Shocked

P.S. Goblin punch animations are in progress.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:35:13 AM by absenter » Logged

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:19:51 PM »

Heck effin yeah I can't wait for this. Such a good combo of genres.  Toast Left

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »

Monster Mockups
I'm in the process of making mockups for each monster in the game. At the moment, we have 8 planned, but that number could get bigger depending on the scope of the game. Each monster is going to have it's own strengths and weaknesses and will be stronger/weaker depending on how it's equipped. There is also a chance to find mutated monsters that are combinations of various types (like a slime minotaur, for example).

The Goal
The goal is trying to make a good RPG for a mobile device. I have looked around for fun RPGs to play on my tablet and only found a couple that I really like. But overall, it's been hard to find one with a control scheme that felt satisfying. I'm trying to avoid a touchscreen gamepad at all costs.

So far we've decided there are going to be two main screens in the game. The Strategy Screen is where the player moves himself around the labyrinth and makes decisions on which paths to take, what monster to fight, what items to equip, etc. The Battle Screen is where you face off against various monsters in a fighting system in line with boxing games like Super Punch Out.

The Team
Nicolai have been starting to compile a timeline and asset list to get our workflow a little more structured. We think the game will be finished in 1-3 months. I have worked on a couple games (Dinosword, Mr. Crow Eats Worms) I have yet to finish. Facepalm Nicolai created an app called Linebound for Android. He has a knack for making things minimal and refined. We have been working on and off for a month and the game is starting to feel pretty good.

Nicolai is in the process of designing the procedurally generated floors to the labyrinth. He'll have a post soon.

NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »

Hello everyone! Programmer/Nicolai here. I have been working on the dungeon generation recently and we want to share how that works for Dark Labyrinth.

STEP 1
We start by filling the grid with wall tiles. Then we find the center of the game area and remove some walls to carve out the starting room. This is where the player will start in the dungeon.

STEP 2
Now we remove a line of walls in a random direction with a random length to make a corridor from the last placed room. At the end of the corridor there is a chance to spawn a new room. This percentage can easily be changed if we want to make dungeons that are more like a maze, for example. This step is repeated however many times we want to get the right size for the dungeon.

STEP 3
Since the results of this generation method can be quite random, I like to do a pathfinding test to make sure the distance from the starting room to the last room is 25 tiles or more. That way we avoid having dungeons where you start right beside the exit.

STEP 4
Clean up! We check for tiles with exactly 3 surrounding walls and turn them back into walls. That removes the dead ends that sometimes occur, which don't really add anything to the game.

STEP 5
Finally we run the grid through an autotiling script that checks the surrounding tiles and finds the right tile image. Now we have a fully working dungeon!!

I hope this was somewhat interesting. It might be useful for everyone who wants to get into procedural generation. Shrug

Credit to Wupto for the dungeon generation method. We're pretty much using his method, but I have rewritten it and added some modifications. His generator can be found here: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/1595/random-dungeon-generator

Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:08:30 PM »

I never get tired of looking at random dungeon generators. Coolio.

So when you say the battle system will be like super punch out, I'm guessing it'll be in real time rather than turn based? And the monsters will do stuff like: attack, parry, etc. and you have to react in a rock/paper/scissors kind of way? Sounds neat if so, or I could totally be off base here.

Good luck though. Pretty tiles and all.

NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »

Thanks!

You are spot on. The fights are where all the action happens, and moving around the dungeon will be turn based. So there's an element of strategy in what monster you want to fight first, your equipment, stats, etc. while the game still lets you feel awesome in the combat. Hopefully haha

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic