Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 08:57:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPixel On The Line
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel On The Line  (Read 728 times)
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »

LINK: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/pixel-on-the-line/52961/

• Platform: HTML5
  • Game Type: Arcade
  • Version: 2nd Complete Build

Information

Pixel On The Line is a HTML5 game where the player uses the left and right arrow keys in order to position their pixel in the way of a pixel with the same colour so that they will collide and therefore add 1 to the score. The pixel that player is controlling will change colour regularly! If the pixel were to collide with a pixel that isn't the same colour, they game would end, so avoid colliding with them!

I am interested in any bugs that you may encounter such as only one colour pixel spawning overall, or perhaps all the pixels coming down in a line. Things along those lines.
As always I will be happy to hear any feedback regarding what you as a tester think could improve the flow/simplicity of gameplay.

Thanks in advance  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:28:13 PM by games placeo » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »

It stuttered constantly for me in Firefox (more than Firefox's normal not-so-good Javascript timing). That made it a lot harder to play than it should have been. It worked great in the new Vivaldi browser. I didn't try it in others, but I expect Chrome would run it well.

What causes the color to change? Is it just random?

It felt like there should be some indication that the color is starting to change because it seems like I could be just about to touch a square when it changes and suddenly causes a game over. (Edit: It actually happened just now.)

When I died, the game said "Press R to restart" and then almost instantly the entire game window went blank. Nothing I did had any effect after that.

It seems like the game should get harder over time. Otherwise it gets boring very, very quickly. Maybe increase speed gradually? Start with wide spaces between squares and make the spaces harder to squeeze through as the player gets farther?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:56:21 AM »

It stuttered constantly for me in Firefox (more than Firefox's normal not-so-good Javascript timing). That made it a lot harder to play than it should have been. It worked great in the new Vivaldi browser. I didn't try it in others, but I expect Chrome would run it well.

What causes the color to change? Is it just random?

It felt like there should be some indication that the color is starting to change because it seems like I could be just about to touch a square when it changes and suddenly causes a game over. (Edit: It actually happened just now.)

When I died, the game said "Press R to restart" and then almost instantly the entire game window went blank. Nothing I did had any effect after that.

It seems like the game should get harder over time. Otherwise it gets boring very, very quickly. Maybe increase speed gradually? Start with wide spaces between squares and make the spaces harder to squeeze through as the player gets farther?

The colour changes at a regular interval. I have taken into consideration your comment about letting the player know when the colour will change and I have implemented this into the from of the pixel turning multi-coloured and then  changing. The game play has also had the tempo raised so that now it won't be a lethargic.

With regards to the game not restarting. Myself and 2 others testers have been unable to replicate this bug on our own Pc's using the flowing browsers: Opera, Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer so I am clueless as to what caused that issue, a momentary lag in internet connection maybe?

Anyway, the link to the improved game is here: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/pixel-on-the-line/52961/
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:31:31 AM »

You should add the browser message icon to you start post to show everyone that this game is playable without installation, which may increase your views.

The game feels very raw. The color changing is done in a good way, imho (tunneling block while rolling a new color). My major issue with this game was, that sometimes i had five blocks in a horiziontal row (not excatly, but overlapping), which causes an impossible situation and instant death. Feels unfair.

You could solve this by adding a simple translation to the player, when changing tracks. Something like this:
Code:
trackPosition = trackDistance * trackNumber; // trackNumber between 0 and 4
playerTargetPosition += (trackPosition - playerTargetPosition)/10;
playerPosition += (playerTargetPosition - playerPosition)/10;

Which should result in a curve like this:

This would make avoiding overlapping horizontal rows still hard, but not impossible.

Additionally, you should show the collision some seconds before showing the game over screen.
games placeo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »

You should add the browser message icon to you start post to show everyone that this game is playable without installation, which may increase your views.

The game feels very raw. The color changing is done in a good way, imho (tunneling block while rolling a new color). My major issue with this game was, that sometimes i had five blocks in a horiziontal row (not excatly, but overlapping), which causes an impossible situation and instant death. Feels unfair.

You could solve this by adding a simple translation to the player, when changing tracks. Something like this:
Code:
trackPosition = trackDistance * trackNumber; // trackNumber between 0 and 4
playerTargetPosition += (trackPosition - playerTargetPosition)/10;
playerPosition += (playerTargetPosition - playerPosition)/10;

Which should result in a curve like this:

This would make avoiding overlapping horizontal rows still hard, but not impossible.

Additionally, you should show the collision some seconds before showing the game over screen.

Thanks for playing the game! Your feedback has been noted Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic