Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:34:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsPortfoliosFast, Skilled and Versatile - Thomas Finch (Available)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fast, Skilled and Versatile - Thomas Finch (Available)  (Read 6331 times)
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »

Basic Information

Email: [email protected]
Discord: Search by Email
Twitter: @SlowCircuit

Hey, I'm Thomas Finch, freelance programmer and game designer. I am consistently told that I'm faster than most programmers yet also do my job well. I work well with any schedule and team size. I appreciate anyone interested, but I can only accept paying gigs if I want to pay rent. I will not accept any offers that only pay after a potential crowdfunding campaign. I am, however, very fair with my prices, and I'm always willing to negotiate. Just let me know your budget and I'll do what I can to work with you.

Capabilities

• Unity / C# (Well-versed, 3 Years of formal experience, 1 year of informal experience)
  • Game Maker / GML (Well-versed, 5 Years of Experience)
  • Unreal Engine / C++ (Not well versed, only informal Experience)
  • I can work (and have worked) in both 3D and 2D games.
  • I have an HTC Vive and can work on Virtual Reality games.
  • I am a quick learner and am very willing to learn new languages, engines or tools required to work on your project.
  • I have some consulting experience and would love to gain more.

Experience

Below are a few examples of my work. I have a full resume/portfolio available upon request, along with more demos and examples of my work.

Nocturne (Official Website)
Nocturne is a classic top-down RPG with a rhythm game as it's combat system. Over more than a year we created a demo containing the first chapter of the game's story and several areas containing most of the game's features and a high level of polish. Everything in the demo was programmed by me. This includes (but is not limited to:
- Cutscene system w/ dialogue in both combat and world gameplay.
- Rhythm game combat system with a flexible interface and easy song creation.
- General 2D movement, collision and object interactions.
- Menu systems, settings, keybinding, latency calibration.
- Implementing music and sound effects.
- Implementing each area, it's cutscenes, characters, and many unique needs.
- Implementing lighting, particles and other visual effects.
- A unique transition between world gameplay and combat.
This is a 2D project being developed with Unity.

STRAFE® (Steam Page)
I was hired about 11 months before the game was released, so I helped with the last part of development and post-release as the Assistant Programmer. My work was spread out over many systems. Here were some of my responsibilities.
- Entirety of the code and setup for the game's big secrets like Going Home, Jump Map, Gungeon 3D, Trappy Mine (implementation), and more.
- Took over work on the menu systems and UI in general once I joined, changing much of how they worked, improving usability, adding new menus, etc.
- OneDOS, the DOS computer in the main menu, the secrets it contains and much of the extra features.
- Some of the Murderzone mode, mainly it's UI and unique mechanics.
- Much of the Speedzone and Strafezone modes.
- Items and weapons that were added in after I was hired.
- Fixed bugs, implemented tons of minor features and weighed in on the occasional design decision.
This was a 3D project developed with Unity.

Dinosword Full Demo
As the programmer, I coded the entire demo from scratch in one month. Originally, the plans called for a simple platforming level but since that could have done that in just a week, we decided to add in a level editor that ended up being most of the month's work. I'm pretty proud of the level editor in this demo, so I'd recommend playing around with it the most. Use WASD to move the camera and press T to switch to testing mode! This was a 2D project developed with Game Maker.

Corporate Volcano Full Game
My team and I made this game in only one week, with me as the sole programmer and co-designer. It's a vertically scrolling infinite platformer with randomly generated platforms, enemies and power-ups. This was a 2D project developed with Game Maker.

References

Below, you'll find many recommendations from people I've worked for (or with) over the years. (I really appreciate all the kind words, everyone!)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:53:43 AM by Thomas Finch » Logged

absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »

Thomas is great to work with. True story. Throughout the month of February we were working full time on Dinosword. Everything we aimed to do within the month we accomplished. Thomas is not only a good programmer, but he has good design instincts. I'd definitely recommend using him to help with a Gamemaker project.

El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 06:16:28 AM »

Thomas is really professional programmer and game designer, highly recommend!

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
NNenov
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:15:45 AM »

Thomas was able to create a game for us within a very tight time schedule. He is dedicated and skilled, working to our specifications even as they changed throughout the project.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 11:34:24 PM »

Thomas is great to work with - He gets things done fast and efficiently. Highly recommended!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »

I just finished working on a project with Thomas.  He's very fast, works hard, and communicates clearly and concisely.  Would highly recommend.

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »

Email sent Thomas.
Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »

I hired Tom to help out on a side project and he was a pleasure to work with, providing clear and friendly communication, very reasonable rates and, most importantly, good clean code that did just what I needed it to. My game's quite unusual so I threw him some challenges, and he met every one with enthusiasm and completed them quickly and efficiently. Thanks again Tom!

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

HQ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »

Sent a pm - did you get it?  Cool

hhttps://twitter.com/HQ_PixelArtist
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 04:50:45 PM »

Yep! Replied!

Gluntronics
Level 0

The Future is Here ©1996

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »

Worked with Thomas on STRAFE®. He's a killer, great with UI and menus and he was a huge help with many general elements of the game. He was able to join the team relatively late in our dev cycle and get caught up pretty fast working with code that he didn't write. Coffee

Thom
Stephen_PixelTitans
Level 0

Pizza4Lyf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 05:46:53 AM »

I worked closely with Thomas throughout STRAFES development.  I recommend him very highly. He works quickly and effectively with a real passion, always attentive communicative.  Great attitude, Great work ethic!  Would love to work with him more in the future. My Word!
Pracy
Level 0

Nocturne Creator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »

Thomas has been the solo developer for my RPG Rhythm game for the last year.
He has a great work ethic, always being reliable in delivering results, and his code is always extremely well documented.

He brings with him a passion for his work that goes a long way in contributing to the quality and polish of the game. We communicate about the project daily and Thomas always has valuable knowledge and suggestions on how to approach challenges or unique features. He's extremely easy to talk to and always receptive to feedback, and my perfectionism is always satisfied by his willingness to tweak and adjust features until they're exactly right.

While this project has come to and end, I do hope to work with Thomas again in the future. Nocturne would not have been the same game without his dedication, talent and passion.

Journey through a digital afterlife as you discover eternal life comes with sacrifice. Explore the first chapter of a Rhythm RPG that'll take you to the edge of human existence.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 03:48:30 PM »

Immersive Cult, a party planning company that I've worked with on multiple occasions, sent me a recommendation which I'll paste below.

"We hired Thomas different times over the years.
He worked with us in several project like CNN Election Night 2016,where he make Hilary themed games and for an engagement party in late June of last year where he make three games themed around the couple.
It was a pleasure to work with him thanks to his professionalism and
the ability to comply with impending deadlines.
highly recommended."

- Francesco Pastori
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 04:39:08 PM by Thomas Finch » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic