Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:22:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSmith and Winston - Twin Stick Voxel Shooter
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Smith and Winston - Twin Stick Voxel Shooter  (Read 31096 times)
papaonn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »

oh wow this is so cute, liked the blend in between voxels + orthographic view!

deserve a cup of coffee bro!  Coffee

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:13 PM »

Thanks papaonn

Here's another promo shot idea, these are pretty fun to do, there's a few things I'm not so sure about with this one so I may  come back to it

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »

Last one I'm going to do for a while, in this one I've tried to convey a little more action

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »

Hi, its been some time since our last post, we've been working hard, Dazza especially and we're nearing the point where the network code is complete (for Lan and local at least)

We've also produced a short trailer showing off what we've achieved so far, you can check it out on Youtube, just click on the link below

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:08:44 PM by Seaport » Logged

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »

bad link. thats the one where you did the editing?
https://www.youtube.com/v/Mr_L7KuiByU

the video looks great!
I had the impression that one of the columns did not fall over, although the support was missing.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »

The action in the video looks fantastic! (And nice music to go along with it!)

midgety
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »

Wow, this game looks awesome! I can't wait till it's available. I definitely will get it!
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »

This one looks great:

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
djr
Level 0

Smith and Winston Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2015, 02:01:52 AM »

I had the impression that one of the columns did not fall over, although the support was missing.

All our voxels are actually square balloons and can float in the air like that.... ahem..... yeah I haven't written the code to detect isolated islands yet Gentleman

djr
Level 0

Smith and Winston Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2015, 02:06:48 AM »

Wow, this game looks awesome! I can't wait till it's available. I definitely will get it!

Cheers Beer! It's great to hear feedback like that. Gives us the spirit to continue our two man odyssey.

Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »

Nice video! I don't understand the purpose of the last clip with the pillar though. Kinda ends the action on a low key so to speak.
In general, I find this project very interesting both from a technical and artistic point of view. Great work!
djr
Level 0

Smith and Winston Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »

Nice video! I don't understand the purpose of the last clip with the pillar though. Kinda ends the action on a low key so to speak.
In general, I find this project very interesting both from a technical and artistic point of view. Great work!

I think we were trying to show some gameplay with thy physics and voxels interacting but looking back at it, yeah, it does look a little odd.

thanks.

djr
Level 0

Smith and Winston Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »

Wow, it's been a long time but lets show some progress here!

We're still working hard on Smith and Winston. Today I hooked up the explosions, physics and camera shake for a nice little effect.

Yet another game with those ever so dangerous exploding barrels in!

We're very close with a playable level so we're starting to think about going to some shows in the UK to see what people think when they play the game.

I learned something quite interesting about Bullet Physics while doing this. In order to know which objects to push in the explosion I had to

1. spawn a trigger sphere.
2. wait a frame.
3. push all the objects overlapping the sphere.
4. delete the trigger sphere from the world.

There doesn't seem to be an easier way to query the dynamics world for all objects in a sphere. A positive side effect of this is that there is a frame delay in the whole explosion. First the explosion of the voxels and the barrel is removed from the scene and then on the next frame the boxes are pushed which adds to the effect I think.

Whenever there is an explosion a message is sent to the camera with a shake factor, that's immediate and the code just jiggles the position of the camera around for n seconds.

Anyway, hope people like it, hope it inspires someone. Come check us out on IndieDB if that's your thing, follow me on twitter if you want to hear more short ramblings.

Toodle pip  Gentleman

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »

Finally we have our multiplayer in, its local two player co-op at the moment

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »

Oh i remember seeing this on indiedb! It looks so hella cute I'm in love with the little dudes

The gameplay looks super fun btw. I'd totally spend hours playing this with a friend

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2016, 01:50:51 PM »

Hey thanks for the comment Vaaasm, glad you like what we've done Smiley

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2016, 03:01:41 AM »

It's back! Nice to see an update on this. Always found the art style quite appealing and charming ^^

Looking really great, guys!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
djr
Level 0

Smith and Winston Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2016, 02:47:56 AM »

9 months!
It's been nine months since the last video update. Of course we've been busy working on Smith and Winston. Here is the latest

We've added:

* Depth of field effect to soften the distant voxels.
 * Complete change of enemy and weapon strategy to bring the combat closer to the player.
 * Weapons: You now get a pea shooter, sub machine gun, rocket launcher and assault rifle as well as your trusty grenades.
 * Enemies throw grenades.
 * Island level design.
 * Skybox with cubey voxel goodness.
 * Clouds!
 * Many more particle effects on explosions, birds, butterflys and flowers.
 * A more functional if still not very pretty HUD.
 * A front end (you don't know how nice it is to have a front end!)
 * removed nearly 1GB of memory leaks!
 * 2 player co-op working
 * Explosions cause explosions.

Island Level Design
With the previous monolithic level design we were finding it really time consuming balancing the levels. If we wanted to change the structure of the level it took a long time to copy and paste the voxels about. Now we can move the islands around and add bridges trivially. This is a big win for a two person team.

Another problem we've had is on low end machines the monolithic levels were too expensive to modify during explosions. One of the downsides of voxels is that they can take a lot of memory to store and slow machines crawled modifying the voxels, rebuilding the models and collision meshes. Monolithic levels were also taking up 1.5GB of memory. Our new levels take up about 0.8GB helping out the lower end machines.

Networking Folly.
I spent about six months adding networking to our codebase and in the end it was a failure. I didn't have enough experience to pull it off and despite it 'working' on a LAN it was too dodgy for public consumption. This doesn't mean it's abandoned but it wont be added until after the game is released or maybe Smith and Winston 2. Replicating all the damage the player makes to the voxel world and keeping everyone in sync proved to be too much for my small brain to cope with Sad The upside is that I'm making progress on the actual game play now.

Two player is great fun

Chained Explosions
I tweaked the explosion code so that it affects objects in the world, this allows you to chain up events so a grenade explodes a mine that blows up a barrel that blows up the enemy Smiley See how the proximity mine explosions cascade but also the turret is destroyed by the crab emeny exploding next to it.

Front End
Getting a front end, however simple, always makes a game feel more complete.

Anyway, that's that. Thanks for reading this far, as always, we're happy to answer any questions you have.

cheers, dazza.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:52:41 AM by djr » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2016, 01:16:56 PM »

The voxel style of Smith and Winston looks really good and the gameplay seems much better than a similar recently released voxel game: Critical Annihilation  http://store.steampowered.com/app/339440

A couple of notes:
-I usually like smoke clouds to remain in the air rather than disappear quickly.  But in the current top-down-ish view, those smoke clouds can impede vision and it could be difficult to see enemy and flying ammo.  Perhaps some/most of the dust cloud could disappear quickly and only some part of it would take longer.
-Dust clouds look good when walking on areas where you expect dust but it seems odd on the (energy?) bridges.  Perhaps something else could be used (e.g. increasing circular 2d energy waves) or simple sfx might be enough.

I've done some slicing in 2d and had a similar issue as can be seen in the videos.  Will your code handle "floating island" pieces?  For example, when a column's base is destroyed, the top remains in the air as if it's not being affected by gravity.

djr
Level 0

Smith and Winston Coder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2016, 03:24:58 PM »

The voxel style of Smith and Winston looks really good and the gameplay seems much better than a similar recently released voxel game: Critical Annihilation  http://store.steampowered.com/app/339440

A couple of notes:
-I usually like smoke clouds to remain in the air rather than disappear quickly.  But in the current top-down-ish view, those smoke clouds can impede vision and it could be difficult to see enemy and flying ammo.  Perhaps some/most of the dust cloud could disappear quickly and only some part of it would take longer.
-Dust clouds look good when walking on areas where you expect dust but it seems odd on the (energy?) bridges.  Perhaps something else could be used (e.g. increasing circular 2d energy waves) or simple sfx might be enough.

I've done some slicing in 2d and had a similar issue as can be seen in the videos.  Will your code handle "floating island" pieces?  For example, when a column's base is destroyed, the top remains in the air as if it's not being affected by gravity.

Thanks for the feedback  Smiley

You're right about the smoke clouds hanging in the air too long. We do want them to get in the way a little but at the moment it's a bit over the top.

The puffs of smoke coming off the characters feet are sort of a place holder at the moment, we've not written the code to know what material the character is walking on yet. We will do this though as we need to change the sound effect for the feet as well, It can't always be sand!

Floating Islands: This is the bane of my life! We've got some plans but because of the height of some of our Voxel levels it's very expensive to know how much should break off. The classic example is a tree. If you shoot through the trunk the code spends quite a bit of time looking for the bounding volume to snap off. It's certainly something we'd like to do but it's not top priority atm. Critical Annihilation does a really good job here and we don't.... yet.

Hope that answers your questions?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic