Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411449 Posts in 69484 Topics- by 58508 Members - Latest Member: smol-asteroid

July 18, 2024, 11:56:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTurtles of Destiny - Story-Driven Platformer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Turtles of Destiny - Story-Driven Platformer  (Read 16164 times)
ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »

Quick update:

My wife's cousin just played the last version and boy did he had a hard time beating those levels.
I learned so much from watching him playing.

1 - More mercy on the level design
2 - Watch more people playing
3 - Make new mechanics more often

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:29:53 AM by ernanir » Logged

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »

Watching more people playing our game is the most important thing, imo. We shut ourselves inside our Studios/homes to develop the levels and mechanics and we end up forgetting that WE know how to play them because WE built them... it might be different for other people! I really need people to play Tiny Little Bastards! (if you want me to play your game, that would be awesome! hahahah)

Great work as aways!

TIG - Devlog<br />Twitter<br />Facebook<br />
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2015, 10:43:10 PM »

Nice game you have here! Definitely following.

Totally agree. I'm always scared that no one will understand how to play my games, so watching how others do it - really satisfying. Even if they ignore or misunderstand some key features Roll Eyes

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2015, 04:19:33 AM »

Watching more people playing our game is the most important thing, imo. We shut ourselves inside our Studios/homes to develop the levels and mechanics and we end up forgetting that WE know how to play them because WE built them... it might be different for other people! I really need people to play Tiny Little Bastards! (if you want me to play your game, that would be awesome! hahahah)

Great work as aways!

Oh man 100% agree. Sometimes you think a level is a way to easy, but it's hard a fuck. Other times you think a new mechanic will be easy to understand, but it's a bit confusing for the players. There is good surprises too, when you think people will be bored out of their mind and they end up loving your game. :D

I would love for you to play it. It would be great if you did a screen capture while you are playing it, so I can fully understand how players are interacting with the game.

Best and thanks for the support

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2015, 04:31:14 AM »

Nice game you have here! Definitely following.

Totally agree. I'm always scared that no one will understand how to play my games, so watching how others do it - really satisfying. Even if they ignore or misunderstand some key features Roll Eyes

Yep! This chart right here really sums it up.

1 - Build a small prototype (let's say it's a new mechanic that you want to test)
2 - Measure how intuitive it is, if it connects with the rest of the game, if you can use in more than one way
3 - Learn with your experiment, doest it work? if yes, how can you tweak and make it better.
4 - Start over....

That's pretty much how I'm going to things now. Small builds, every week and lot's of testing.

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2015, 06:43:35 AM »

Hello guys,
A month ago I had the chance to speak with Mark Venturelli about game design and I’m about to apply one of his tips. Fail Fast, Learn Faster. He said something like “Noobs will always have endless meetings fantasying about a new mechanic, while more mature teams will just make it really fast and try to improve as time goes by.”.

I really wanted to test how would the yellow block behave in the game if the player were able to pick it up and use it again.  I was hesitating at first because I didn’t know all the consequences…bullshit. There is no way to know if it’s gonna work or not unless I put it to the test. No more 2 hours long meeting or weeks planning, just gonna test stuff, if it works…great! If it doesn’t that’s ok too, at least We are not spending chunks of hours planning it out.

Do I think it’s going to work? Yep. It has 2 strong advantages, it will be more forgiving on the player and at the same time it will give room to make more sophisticated puzzles with less blocks. For the next 4 days I’ll be sketching levels with this mechanic alone.

Have a great day!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »

Today I was feeling a bit depressed.
Don't really know why. Maybe lack of exercise, lack of mediation or too much gaming. I almost didn't make the tiny level of the day. Almost.
It's done and I really like it. This will pass.

Great weekend guys.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:00:26 AM by ernanir » Logged

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2015, 06:26:44 PM »

Just got a e-mail from Geoff and he will be sending the new song tomorrow!
Uhuuu.
Today I called my grandma, ate great food, ran, played with my wife’s little nephews, got the message from Geoff telling me about the new song…all that made me feel much better. :D

Tomorrow I will have a meeting with JJ and he will deliver the last package that I need to start working on the new build. Stay tuned!

Great weekend guys.

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »

“Noobs will always have endless meetings fantasying about a new mechanic, while more mature teams will just make it really fast and try to improve as time goes by.”.

Great tip! I'll keep that in mind!

It's good that you're feeling better! Wink
As I always say, "On to the next challenge!"!

Keep it up, man! Great work!  Beer!

TIG - Devlog<br />Twitter<br />Facebook<br />
ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:16 AM »

As I always say, "On to the next challenge!"!

Hell yeah!

Thanks for the nice words my friends!
Everything is great now, some amazing stuff happened and I'll make post telling everyone what it was.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2015, 06:51:25 AM »

What a weirdly wonderful looking game!  Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »

What a weirdly wonderful looking game!  Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Thank you!  Weirdly Wonderful is a huge compliment  Wizard

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »

This last two days some amazing things happened.

1 - Out of the blue this dude messaged us over facebook. He told us how he liked that game and how he admired the commitment of the team. It’s always good to read/hear things like that, but he went beyond. He made a fan-game based on our game! How wild is that? Fan-art is pretty crazy, but Fan-game is the ultimate content a developer can expect. After a meeting with Sarah and JJ, we decided to bring him to the team for trial period as a programmer. Today I had a meeting with him and I’m pretty confident he will be staying for good. Welcome the marathon Bashar.

2 - Geoff sent the last song (demo) he made and it has a huge feeling to it. He has this amazing skill to transform the feel of the game into music in such a precise way. I can barely wait how it will unfold…

3 - JJ sent the last package last sunday and now I’m able to make a new build! Everything is working good. He worked on sunday night, so big props for his work ethic.  On the 11th of July a Build Meeting will happen and I’m confident that we will have some great new stuff to show there.

4 - The development of the story is flowing so naturally. Sarah and me just created Sky’s background and I’m so delighted with the result. One of my favorite part of this process is building up the story with Sarah.

5 - Vincente will start to work on the sound effects very soon and I’m really excited to add some propers SFXs to the game.

That’s all!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »

Hello All,  Hand Any Key

Great news! Bashar (our new turtle) is kicking ass. He barely got to the team and already did a bunch of stuff. Today he delivered the pause menu and it's working smoothly.

Vincente will be making the new SFX for the July 11th build and today earlier he told me how much he liked Geoff's new song. Super Stoked.

I did get a chance to work on new levels today, but tomorrow I will have plenty of time hopefully.

wearepinata
Level 0

Piñata Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2015, 11:09:32 PM »

I'm loving the look of the game mechanics in this! Very cool. Keep up the good work Smiley

Piñata Games
Facebook // Twitter

We made Tamak and Magnetix
ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2015, 03:49:48 AM »

I'm loving the look of the game mechanics in this! Very cool. Keep up the good work Smiley

Thank you! The best part of the game mechanics is yet come :D
I was checking your facebook and twitter, there is a bunch of amazing pixel art there too.

Have a lovely day fellow dev.

iamroud
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2015, 06:43:18 AM »

Really enjoying the mechanics of this game! (sempre bom ver trabalho brasileiro fazendo sucesso!) Beer!
ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »

Really enjoying the mechanics of this game! (sempre bom ver trabalho brasileiro fazendo sucesso!) Beer!

Thanks for the compliment brother! Everybody compliments the art but only few the game mechanics, Im stoked knowing that you like it! (Poxa, queria eu que fosse sucesso, mas só de tá fazendo o que a gente ama já é sucesso, obrigado pela força irmão)  Beer!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »

Long time, no see.

We are working hard on the game, pretty soon there will be new assets to show 

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »

This looks very, very cool - and I've got to say that Geoff's music is RIGHT ON. Props to him, nice stuff.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic