Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 11:05:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingClip Clop beta test
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Clip Clop beta test  (Read 990 times)
claybornp
Level 0

claypeterson.co for art things

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »

Hey everyone! I recently finished all of the gameplay features for an iOS/web game that I've been working on called clip clop.

I am still waiting on apple to verify my build so that I can pass out public betas, but the web build is on itch.io!
Heres the link: http://claytonpeterson.itch.io/clip-clop

The game is about about a magic horse who jumps over things in the forest.

Heres a picture of the action.

ooo, looks nice!

Tell me what you think!
Is it too hard?
is it too fun?
Is it too boring?

what would you change?
what would make it perfect??
Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 06:52:09 AM »

Hello there!

Let's start with the good.  I love the music, and the filter you have going on fits the music beautifully.  The whole visual style is great, very happy and fun.  Sound design is good too, I actually really like the "you died" sound, not sure why, but it fits the theme nicely.

There were a few things that I don't think were properly conveyed to me.  It seems like the apples disappear over time, do I lose when I run out of apples?  Is the game programmed to provide enough obtainable apples for me before I may die?  I'd hate to die due to bad RNG.

I found myself in many situations where I would try to make the smallest jump I could to get an apple, but then there would be an obstacle that appears from off-screen immediately and kills me because I landed on it.  I'd be ok with this, except that I didn't have an indication when I jumped for the apple that there was danger in front of me, really it makes every apple jump that looks safe seem like a leap of faith.  This may just be something I need to get better at judging, but yeah.

Your game doesn't really seem to have any ramp-up period, it seems to be starting off very hard immediately, and that might turn off some people.  Is the game supposed to be ramping up in difficulty, or does it just stay the same level of difficulty all the way through?  I only got to 23 points in my highest run, so I can't say I know for sure.  It would be great if you could give a brief period of time where things are just a bit easier so people can have time to get used to the controls.  It doesn't have to be a long period, say like 3-5 seconds.  Of course you don't want it to be TOO long because you don't want vets of your game to be bored during the start of your game.  I think Canabalt did a great job of ramping up, particularly by always starting you off inside the same building at the same height with two trash cans to jump over at the start.  By doing this, they introduced the mechanics while never actually putting you in real danger, the cans just slow you down if you don't jump over them.

You should do something to make your smaller obstacles pop more against the background.  Right now things such as stumps and rocks are blending in so perfectly with the ground they are on top of and the background behind them that they might be a little hard to see at high speeds.  Consider getting some contracting colors in there to really make them stand out and be VERY visible.  obstacle viability should be your highest priority, as at high speeds, obstacles need to be identified immediately.

That's all I have for now, great start, keep going with it! Smiley

KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:54:49 AM »

I agree with Highsight your obstacles are very hard to see, maybe you put the flowers a bit lower?

But the art is really awesome!! I like it very much!  Gentleman
bttf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »

I agree with the above two posters in that the art and music in this game is great. I enjoyed the music especially and I think all of the SFX is nicely done.

My only complaint is that it's pretty difficult from the beginning to stay alive. Also the controls to start the game and get it going were a little counter-intuitive but you might already be aware of that.

All in all, it has great style; keep it up!
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »

I love the chromatic aberration - will give it a try at work, the webplayer doesn't work on Linux  Cry

AllAboutGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »

Great music, good sounds but almost all obstacles are very hard to see
claybornp
Level 0

claypeterson.co for art things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I've been busy with college lately, but in a few weeks I will be making some tweaks!
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 06:10:56 AM »

I kept forgetting to test the game at work Who, Me? sorry I took so long to give it a try.

I really like the image effects, chromatic aberration and so on. Also the run animation  Wink It's a very functional and visual pleasing runner. However I think there is a one serious feedback issue: I found it very difficult to quickly discern between elements in the parallax scrolling layer, dangerous foreground elements and foreground decorations. I think there need to be a greater visual contrast between obstacles and non-dangerous props.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic