Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:04:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creative[Past is in the past]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [Past is in the past]  (Read 7999 times)
Lady_Fuzzy
Level 0

Titty Oddity

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »

[Past is in the past]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:57:32 AM by Lady_Fuzzy » Logged

Pfotegeist
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »

Even if you expect it to go badly, you should do it.  The best thing you can do is draw as much attention to your published art as possible.

mentioning it here is a good start
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:37:10 PM »

I know what it feels like to be afraid of other people judging something personal to you. But no matter who you are or what you make, there's going to be rude detractors. Some people are just jerks, some people just want to go against the popular opinion. Unfortunately, we have to live with this.

You shouldn't argue with any rude people who have a negative opinion of your game, just ignore them unless they have something constructive to say.

Your game probably won't be met by as bad of a reception as you might be afraid of. If it's really esoteric and personal, the critics will probably just be the people who don't "get it." You could write that it's a bizarre and personal in the description, it might give people more of an idea what to expect before they go in.

As Pfotogeist said, why not post it on these forums first and get some feedback? Everyone is pretty chill here, you wouldn't get anyone just being rude for the hell of it like you might get on Kongregate. It could give you an idea of what other people might think of your game.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »

I'll give it a shot, my newgrounds name is Lazymoth. What do I have to do to beta test it? Those graphics look really rad by the way! It looks like a compelling game from what I can see. I want to go ahead and say people will probably like this game a lot (especially on newgrounds, they like macabre stuff a lot over there.)

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »

You know, every artist heard this or some variation from someone before, a professor, mentor etc: You are not your work. It sounds silly at first, of course I'm not my work, but as the person evolves as an artist this advice bell to ring louder and louder. If the reception isn't great, make another game! and if it is, make another game!

You seem to have enough testers but if you need more let me know.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »

I like it Smiley

xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »

much jumpscare !!  Crazy Crazy

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »

I'm completely stuck! But I like how some puzzles are very outside of the box (the time mechanics in the corridor scene is great).

The whole thing is very complex. This might be hard, but remember that most people are going to try it for 15 seconds and dismiss the complexity as randomness. Furthermore, the design choices you made, like the darksouls+adventure thing and the don't trust the rules thing, will also be viewed superficially as bad ideas. I would normally agree with them but this seems like a conscious choice of yours, a statement. It's an artsy game! artsy games tend to have a hard time among regular gamers, but that doesn't mean they're bad.

Keep making games  Coffee

dez
Level 1

^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 05:02:07 PM »

I wish we could have some sort of software that would filter all the negative feedback and give me just the positive one to deal with and reply.
On the contrary.  You should welcome it.
Getting bad feedback and haters means people care.  It is part of every successful product.
What you should fear is silence.

I'm developing OBEY - Steam | Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
JWK5
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 05:23:29 PM »

With every response you get, positive or negative, look at them all as individual puzzle pieces and for each think "How can I use this?". If the piece fits, if you can use the information to rework your project, then it is worth giving further thought. If the piece doesn't fit, if there is no real usable information, nod and smile and quickly move on to the next one. Get yourself in the habit of looking at responses this way and rather than responses being potentially discouraging or patronizing they are just useful or not. When you happen upon a tool that isn't useful you don't get hurt feelings, you just look for a better tool.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »

Hey, I'm just popping by to tell you two things: One is to tell you that I love this (not) game and its design, and I just wanted to tell you how good of a job you did! The second thing might be slightly less fun to hear. I got to the archangel part, clicked on him a couple times and the game froze. I think to myself, no biggie, I'll just restart the game. But upon restarting it tries to load the frozen game, at which point the text scroll sound plays forever and the screen freezes. I'm going to try to delete my cookies and see if it works, but just a heads up that some other people might be experiencing this bizarre glitch.

lostzac
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 12:54:39 AM »

I wish we could have some sort of software that would filter all the negative feedback and give me just the positive one to deal with and reply.
On the contrary.  You should welcome it.
Getting bad feedback and haters means people care.  It is part of every successful product.
What you should fear is silence.

I agree with Dez sometimes Negative Feed back can be helpful as well, and then their is the rare cases when the feedback even negative will acuttly do more for your promotions then posative feedback. In the end your not gonna make everyone happy, and their are those people who are going to complain, cus, and point out every little thing they don't like. Its all part of the game.

Anathon
Every Character has their story

Website
http://www.anathon.com/

Google +
https://plus.google.com/b/106990229639448806944/1069902

Twitter
@Anathon_rpg

FaceBook Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anathon/1406036916378410
Canned Turkey
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:08:43 PM »

Holy crap dude good job.
 Hand Thumbs Up Right
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »

Good job man!Keep it up

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 12:11:38 AM »

Umm... guys... you need to see this.
I am crying.

Shocked Amazing! Congratulations, Irbis. This is inspiring. Smiley

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Protocol Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »

Congratulations!!!! That's the way man!!!

By the way, I also saw you on the IndieDevHour facebook thread Smiley (I am Carlos, the Song of Horror guy). You have your niche, and you should go for it. You will receive criticism. Take note of the constructive one, and take the high road with the worthless trolling and destructive posts if you receive them.
Protocol Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 08:01:20 AM »

You know, reality always surpasses fiction Smiley.

I am going to take the liberty of recommending you to watch a very cool video which touches the very things that are being touched in this thred.

I hope it does you a service!
CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »

not sure if you saw, but Markiplier did a lets play on YT and had good things to say.  Congratz man!

Chip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »

This thread is inspiring. It should be a sticky. Congrats!

internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 03:48:17 AM »

Impressive success, congrats! Smiley I will say that I may just be out of touch with this genre, but I didn't get it, and while I was being eaten repetitively with no apparent way to avoid being dinner, the game managed to max out a CPU core (Chromium in a Debian VM on a MacBook Pro) and prompt the fan to start yelling me before I figured it was time to give up. For such a technically uncomplicated game that seems like a flaw, but then I have no way of knowing where that usage came from or whether it's something you can realistically address.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic