Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:14:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJop and Rom (Text Parsing Platformer)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Jop and Rom (Text Parsing Platformer)  (Read 8621 times)
Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »

There was an interesting post here about a text parsing platformer. I've always wanted to try my hand at it and to my surprise, it's actually kind of fun to play.

UPDATE!

Added visuals for the input, and allowed the player to choose his input methods.
Also, don't set the inputs for the same thing, or else you'll only be able to run.
Additionally, inputs longer than 3 letters can be used, check the second screenshot. Grin

Here's a link to the newest engine.
LINK.

(Ignore the spriting and such, I'm no artist)

Controls
[Default]
"rom" makes you run to the right
shift+"rom" makes you run to the left
"jop" makes you jump; and you have a double jump

A few tips:
1. You can use either the easy or hard controls, there's no actual difficulty setting as of yet.
2. You don't have to back track if you're next to a wall, try jopping or double jopping and then romming to get onto the ledge.
3. I'm aware that the shift key is really annoying for running left, I'm thinking about leaving it that way for hard mode, and changing it so that you "tom" to go left on for easy controls.
4. I'd like to say: Don't give up on the controls! It takes a little while, but it can be mastered fairly well. However, I cannot say that, because as of now the game has no incentive for the player to want to learn them. Which is why I need ideas/sprites/level design. I am but a lowly programmer.

I'd like to turn this into a full game, but I can't sprite at all, and I've got no skill with level design.  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:21:55 PM by Tokyoma » Logged
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »

Hey, this is pretty interesting. I think you should simplify it, if anything, and do away with going left entirely.

Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »

Hey, this is pretty interesting. I think you should simplify it, if anything, and do away with going left entirely.
Eh, I was debating throwing out going left. But if I went that direction with it, I think I'd want it to be an arcade game with procedurally generated obstacles and enemies. But if I leave in the left function it could be a bit broader than that.
Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:46:02 PM »

Eh, I was debating throwing out going left. But if I went that direction with it, I think I'd want it to be an arcade game with procedurally generated obstacles and enemies. Probably fairly fast paced and you get bonus multipliers for your difficulty. But if I leave in the left function it could be a bit broader than that.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »

Don't knock the depth of procedural generation, it opens the door for a lot of replay value, and makes games like this easier to manage. Taking out the option to go left can also add a little challenge, like say you miss a jump up to the easier high path and have to go the low route.

An idea for some polish: Show what keys you hit above the character, in a max string of three, which does something like flashes or whatnot when you do a run or jump.

Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »

Don't knock the depth of procedural generation, it opens the door for a lot of replay value, and makes games like this easier to manage. Taking out the option to go left can also add a little challenge, like say you miss a jump up to the easier high path and have to go the low route.

An idea for some polish: Show what keys you hit above the character, in a max string of three, which does something like flashes or whatnot when you do a run or jump.
I like that idea a lot, I'll go ahead and add a little mock up of it in game now.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:35:03 PM by Tokyoma » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »

Urk... for people who don't type normally, this is quite hard. I type with only two fingers at a time, and it is hard.
Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »

Urk... for people who don't type normally, this is quite hard. I type with only two fingers at a time, and it is hard.
I really don't know what to tell you, typing is the main focus of this game. It's not really supposed to be for people who don't type normally. There are plenty of normal platformers out there.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »

when I read 'text parsing platformer' I assumed it somehow read in a generic text file and generated a level from that

Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »

when I read 'text parsing platformer' I assumed it somehow read in a generic text file and generated a level from that
Hmm, I would have went with 'text based platformer' but most people will assume that means ascii. :/
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:35:25 AM »

I made it to the end! After a few tries, it got pretty easy.

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 05:51:33 AM »

Hahaha, I love this.

I found myself muttering "rom rom rom JOP!"

It almost felt like my typing was setting the rhythm for his strides, which was neat.
Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 08:45:03 AM »

I made it to the end! After a few tries, it got pretty easy.
Yeah, it has a little learning curve, but it's really not that bad.
And I'm glad everyone seems to like it, I'll probably add some more things besides just romming and jopping. Like "sop" to help you quick stop, so you don't run to fast over a ledge, and maybe something for catching on too ledges too, or maybe make catching on to ledges automatic. Any ideas you guys have would be appreciated, this thing is starting more and more to shape into a nice game.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:56:11 AM by Tokyoma » Logged
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

One complaint I have for this is, I type too fast for this game. I type, but it does not register. I don't know how you can fix that because I don't know how you coded it though. If you want I can help you out though, I'm pretty good with GML (I'm just inexperienced, that's my problem).

shig
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »

Hard mode: Advance and.. Leap?
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »

ormromromromromromromromromromromrormormorromorjpo
JPOJPOJPOJPOJPOJPOJOrormormormormromromORMORMORMORMROMRORMORjopjopjpojpojpojpojpo
JPOJPOJPOJomORMORMROMROMRORMORMROMRORMORMRORMORJOPJPOJOOMRORMORMORMROMRORMORMORMORMORM
OH MY GOD

Quite a good game idea. I had my fun. Now make some levels!

Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »

One complaint I have for this is, I type too fast for this game. I type, but it does not register. I don't know how you can fix that because I don't know how you coded it though. If you want I can help you out though, I'm pretty good with GML (I'm just inexperienced, that's my problem).
I've noticed this problem as well, but I can't ever tell if it's not realizing what I type, or if at that speed I'm just mixing the order, I'm going to put all the input on screen so I can see if I'm really entering it correctly or not.

EDIT: Yeah, you're just hitting them out of order and so was I, because you can do it lightning fast and it still registers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:02:12 PM by Tokyoma » Logged
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »

Very cool. I played the game so that I had both hands on the letters. It was quite easy that way. Smiley

The-Imp
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »

a game based off my idea?
Shocked

Played, I'm terrible at this!
Embarrassed
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »

It's fun if the actions roll off your fingers, but that's not the case for point-and-peckers like Inanimate or Dvorak users like me. Maybe an alternate control scheme that you don't need to know QWERTY to use? Like QWE to run and ASD to jump, or QAZ to run and ]'/ to jump, or left-down-right to run and down-up to jump.

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic