Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 08:20:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMetal Monsters Tactics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Metal Monsters Tactics  (Read 1765 times)
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »

So, hello! This is my game, Metal Monster Tactics.

In it, you make a robot...

And fight other robots with it.

You can equip the parts they drop in your robot or even make a new one!

Here I have my robots, Gato and Gamma, fighting to get Gamma better legs. I had no luck in this fight, the enemies only dropped bodies and arms...

So I sold them and got Roller Skates for Gamma from the shop!

This enemy has a scorpion tail that shoots acid, which damage over time. Useful!

And the pokédex album is almost complete!

So, what do you guys think? =]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:22:04 PM by vitorlanna » Logged

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:54:42 AM »

This is genius. The mechanic sounds really fun, and I really want to play it now. Smiley There is one thing that I still don't understand. Are those opponents real world players? That would be amazing if they were. This reminds me of a game, Spore, which has a similar character building idea.

Keep going!

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:54:19 AM »

Really love the art! Only thing I'd say is to watch your contrast - it's hard to see the robots on top of the environment.

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »

This is genius. The mechanic sounds really fun, and I really want to play it now. Smiley There is one thing that I still don't understand. Are those opponents real world players? That would be amazing if they were. This reminds me of a game, Spore, which has a similar character building idea.

Keep going!

Thanks! =D
I want to put online multiplayer in the game (there's even a level editor I use that I could make available to players) but I probably won't in this first version. It's just me working on the game, I have no experience with online multiplayer and according to what I've read it would at least double development time =/

But I really want to do it in the future. Each player can create their own strategy with their robots, and that opens very interesting possibilities for multiplayer.

Really love the art! Only thing I'd say is to watch your contrast - it's hard to see the robots on top of the environment.
Thanks =] And good point! It has been pointed out to me before (and I made some minor adjustments) but I'll definitely pay more attention to that.

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »

So today was spent in the exciting world of GUI design!

But basically, testers wanted more information more easily accessible.

In the robot creation screen, data about the robot parts is in the "pill" style.

But during the game, the "pill" style occupied too much space, so I tried numbers to display the information more concisely.

And adjusting the window according to the amount of information.

There's more work to be done. Interface to compare parts (in the shop and in the workshop), an "information mode"... Soon.

By the way, I'd like your opinion: is posting daily on the devlog excessive? I could wait until the weekend so there was more to show and keep these small posts to tumblr. What do you guys think?

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »

I don't think you should post every X days. Instead, just post when you have new interesting content, and maybe include soe of the slightly less signigicant stuff on your tumblr. You don't want post about adding one sprite Smiley

I really like your GUI, everything looks very consistent, which is key when making game art. I do agree about the size, and the second shot looks better. What platforms are you going to put this on? I think this might be okay on bigger screens, but on smaller devices in might be a little cramped.

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »

The pixel art looks very promising but still... dude that's a hell of an orange sky we got here.  Blink

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »

@ephoete
Hmm... Good point. It draws too much attention, doesn't it?

How about...

this?
Now it has a similar color to the clouds. Yeah, I think the attention is more directed now. Plus it looks nice when cloudy!

@Mixerman123
Well... There's always something to talk about, be it art, game design, programming solutions xD But I'll try to find the right pace.
I intend to launch for PC and mobile. So yeah, gotta be careful to avoid getting cramped...

I implemented a "information mode" though, separating the GUI of when you are playing from the GUI of when you are checking information. I need to test though to see if that is a good solution or not...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:30:11 PM by vitorlanna » Logged

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 03:25:22 PM »

In celebration of Easter, here is Level11, "Little Bunny" xD Bunny Ears are not yet included, but I plan on doing so.

In tumblr I spoke a little more about the level design and the strategy involved in this level.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic