Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:57:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLithium City - isometric cyberpunk tactical shooter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Lithium City - isometric cyberpunk tactical shooter  (Read 44480 times)
AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2015, 05:34:59 AM »

My concern with the black-outlined style is that it could be harder to notice enemies since they share some colors, but the translucent style could make everything look too samey. Would appreciate any opinions! Smiley

I think with black-outlined style it could be harder to notice enemies
and the translucent style could make everything look too samey.

Yes, I know. My point follows:
Use the black version if you want the enemies to be hidden, blended, covered or similarily.
Use the translucent ones if you want the furniture to not be part of the gameplay mechanics (and you already have the models lying around because you know, they are kinda unobstrusive then)

Axez, Grant Ed.
TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2015, 06:25:49 AM »

I think it should definitely be coloured slightly diff to the walls - for the purpose of cool player feedback some of it can be cover/destructible, and that means it serves a different gameplay purpose to the walls. Not to mention the flat graphics style rewards a bit of extra contrast, I think!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »

How about trying out something in-between and creating dark translucent furniture?
Canned Turkey
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »

Or you can see slight silhouettes of enemies through the furniture?
nicotuason
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I decided on slightly translucent, dark colored furniture because it stands out more from the walls and doesn't completely obscure the objects behind it.

This past week I've turned my attention towards making Lithium City feel like a real, living place... which scares the shit out of me. Backstory! Lore! Environmental Storytelling! Gaaah! Crazy

I've never been a writer, and up until now I've only done relatively short and abstract games. Highscore games. How do you go from that to building a believable world for the player to inhabit?

I decided to keep it simple and start with genre tropes and stereotypes. If I can't flesh those out, then there's no point in trying anything more complicated.

So you're some kind of Law-enforcing android (gynandroid?). The first thing you'll need is a base of operations.

This is the Command Center. From here, you receive missions and equip yourself before battle.

floor plan (pixel art in photoshop, which is parsed by the game into a full sized map):

In-game (logo on the floor is WIP):

Of course, a command center needs to be staffed! (shit). Fortunately, it doesn't take too long to mock up some characters using the game's vector art style (just like the guns). Animation will be another matter, but I feel happy about this assortment of character sketches:

Hopefully you can tell a bit of their backstory and personality just by looking at them. I don't plan on having a lot of exposition, so distinguishing features on characters will probably be really important.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I decided on slightly translucent, dark colored furniture because it stands out more from the walls and doesn't completely obscure the objects behind it.
Aww yeah, my advice was useful!

Love the new screenies

Hopefully you can tell a bit of their backstory and personality just by looking at them. I don't plan on having a lot of exposition, so distinguishing features on characters will probably be really important.
The chief feels like a old-fashioned sexist bastard, NOLF style.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 12:30:20 PM »

There are a lot of weird glitches happening in the rotation animations (the hair is really bad), are you not using 3D models? or are these clipping errors? I must say, it really confuses me. looking great otherwise and I like the choice for furniture color.

nicotuason
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »

@JobLeonard - Haha yeah! Interesting insight on the Chief... might help me shape his personality later on :p

@marcgfx - Nope these aren't 3D models, they're composed entirely of 2D quads. Here's some gifs I made a while ago that help illustrate the idea:

The clipping happens when one quad group is shuffled in front of another quad group during depth sorting, and I agree it looks confusing. I've been trying to minimize it but the only way to remove it completely is use only one color for the entire character. Or to switch to a 3D engine :c

I'm planning to do another pass on the main character's hair so it doesn't clip so much.

nicotuason
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 04:57:58 AM »

Okay, I feel like I've spent enough time dicking around with concepts and mechanics and character designs. It's time to start building the damn game!

The Main Menu is probably the first thing the player will see, so I got started on that:

Hopefully those look like flying cars in the background. I couldn't actually put them down on the road because that would require they be depth sorted with the buildings... and that would kill the framerate O_o

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 06:26:38 AM »

thanks for your explanation about the character build-up. I hope you can resolve the clipping issues, the characters look great overall.
the flying cars going over the buildings look wrong, as the "roads" seem to be what they are flying above. but on the other hand, why do you even need roads if you have flying cars? maybe the roads could be above the buildings?

If you had not mentioned the issue, I probably would not have noticed.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »

Love it! Any cool transition animations planned for selecting different menu options?
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2015, 07:17:15 AM »

Wow I just realized that you're not using a 3D engine for this! Shocked
Btw I love the main menu!

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »

That there...is a lovely looking menu.

nicotuason
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »

@JobLeonard - Thanks! Smiley For now I'm just going to do a simple sliding out animation for the menus. If I have more time later on then I can experiment with cooler transitions.

why do you even need roads if you have flying cars?

hmmm... that's a good point. I decided to remove not just the roads, but the entire *ground*.

Now we're so high that we can't even see the ground! I like it... it makes the city feel dense and unfathomable.

Also worked on an additional character today: the SWAT bot

Will they be on your side? Who knows? :p

nicotuason
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 05:23:24 AM »

Been playing around with Starling's Blur filter for a "stealth" mode:

This is done by setting the blur filter's resolution to 0.1 and tweening the blurX and blurY value from 0 to 1. I also made the entire sprite blink between normal and additive blend modes to get that glitchy effect.

When in stealth mode, enemies line of sight will be drastically reduced. You will also be able to see their cone of vision so you know what to avoid.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 05:35:06 AM »

the city with cars looks great now, great change! the blur/blinking looks pretty interesting, I like it! two thumbs up Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 06:33:35 AM »

Nice, I think you can exaggerate the difference between horizontal and vertical blur even more!
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

Love the mood and atmosphere of this, your title screen looks amazing!

The blur/stealth ability is cool, seems like there's a lot of room for sick player abilities.

Made Cannon Brawl - Worked on ABZÛ - Now making Kingdoms And Castles
Thranx
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »

Created an account here just to say, looks awesome!  Will keep an eye on this project.  Love the visuals... really looking forward to this now.  Smiley

Keep up the good work!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »

@JobLeonard - Thanks! Smiley For now I'm just going to do a simple sliding out animation for the menus. If I have more time later on then I can experiment with cooler transitions.

why do you even need roads if you have flying cars?

hmmm... that's a good point. I decided to remove not just the roads, but the entire *ground*.

Now we're so high that we can't even see the ground! I like it... it makes the city feel dense and unfathomable.

Also worked on an additional character today: the SWAT bot

Will they be on your side? Who knows? :p
That menu is awesome. i love it

Any plans for a hacking mechanic? Would be cool to be able to force SWAT bots onto your side

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic