Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:33:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOVERCOOKED! - Couch Co-op Cook 'em up
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: OVERCOOKED! - Couch Co-op Cook 'em up  (Read 50170 times)
ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »

Wow, long time since our last post. Going to attempt to cover what we've been up to since we've been away.

@de11ed No plan for a level editor at the moment, but it's definitely something we've spoken about and something we'd love to explore
@TitoOliveira We've been doing some local playtests but haven't yet planned as far as a more open demo of the game
@thekill473 Mm yes, particles would be nice!
@ChameleonGeek Thanks!
@Miltage Awesome, we love co-op games too so glad to hear you're on board :D
@Cranktrain Thanks! Can't wait for you to get to play it
@flashysquirrel Huzzah!
@Mittens Thanks Mittens!

So what's new with Overcooked?

Well we've been really heads down working on the game for the past few months. We've created a lot of new levels, introduced lots of new mechanics, spoken to lots and lots of different people about the game and have taken our first tentative steps to getting the game running on some new platforms.

Click here for one of our latest screenshots:

Publishers: We've been keeping our options open by speaking to as many people as we can about the game. Some rejections, some offers, some reeeally interesting opportunities which I hope we can talk about one day. We're still pursuing a few avenues for this but we would only really consider going down this route if we think we're aligned on the future of the project.

Start Flow: We spent some time on the opening of our game. We wanted to create something which had a bit more impact than our original plan for a fairly sedate, fairly slow tutorial level. We wanted to set the tone for the game as quickly as possible so we could get people as excited about the game as we were.
(Here's a short clip of one of the new models we made for this section:

Play tests: Since we're starting to shore up the mechanics and the opening of the game it became apparent that we needed to get more eyes on the project. We've done a lot of evening sessions this month getting people in to play the game and sitting in silence watching them break the game in fun and exciting ways, but also cataloging their scores and their performances, tracking the difficulty curve and generally seeing where the rough edges are which need to be smoothed off

We were also reeeeally lucky to get Double Fine to play an early build of our game last week which was a massive highlight of the development so far, particularly because I'm a massive Tim Schafer fan (who isn't). Click here to watch that:

What else..

Competitive; We built a lot of competitive levels which we're fixing up right now (Oli is hard at working on the UI system for all that) it's a completely different experience from the co-op campaign but which a lot of people have asked for and seem to really love

We had two married couples battling out last week!:

New Platforms: We've managed to get our hands on dev kits for a few new platforms, once we're confident we can bring the game out on these we'll reveal what they are but feel free to use your imagination and it probably wont be far off : )

Interface: lots of work on the games interfaces. I really wish we had more time to drill into these as I'd love to really tweak the feedback the player gets, make sure the interface looks good but also respond well and draw attention to the right information etc etc.

Art We spent some time improving the player models for the game, giving them more character and more detail than they had previously:

Also this: https://twitter.com/Overcookedgame/status/672387411557662720

There's obviously been lots more we've been working on but I think this post might be getting a little long winded so I'll pinch it off here and maybe come back later in the week with a few more bits and pieces.

I'll leave you with this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CUvr8TsWwAAec2J.mp4

tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »

Public demo when? Hand Money LeftKissHand Money Right

ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »

@MurderOfPoes When it comes to that I'll almost certainly be back on here with more info. A lot will depend what route we go down the release : )

tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »

I'd give you my credit card number right now just to be able to play what Double Fine played.

It looks so much fun, I'm rarely this hyped for a game, it's hard to handle the wait.

By the way, I believe there's a typo on the tutorial chapter, where the Onion King says:

Yes(missing comma?) that's it! Follow the orders at the top of the screen. We will vanquish this beat yet!

Cheers!

ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »

@MurderOfPoes haha duly noted! and thanks for spotting the typo, fixing now...

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »

This looks great! Following.

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »

Oh my oh my. This is a game I would gladly sink my teeth into for hours and hours. I'm always full of glee when I find a new (and different!) local co-op style game. Bonus points for any kind of asymmetric play, so this is ticking all kinds of boxes for me. Plus the design seems like it's impeccable and extremely well thought out. Good stuff, guys, really looking forward to this!

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »

Been following on twitter, but didn't catch how FUN this looks to play. The doublefine play test video was great. I love the art style and the yelling cursing and how the last piece of lettuce/tomato falls the other way from the rest. Looking forward to this game  Hand Shake Left WTF Hand Money Right

OliDe-Vine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2016, 06:56:30 AM »

Hi everyone!

Quick update. Our game now has a

and we're up on steam greenlight

It's been a crazy few days for us; We've started the basics of getting press coverage and were very lucky to kick this off with a the guys at Double Fine very kindly giving us a playtest and also a very lucky article from Eurogamer.

The support we've received from other developers on TigSource has been invaluable to us getting the word out and I'd like to say a massive thank you to everyone so far. We do have a long way to go though, so if everyone who sees this can Retweet, Share, forward in any way and of course Vote for us that would be just the best.

Greenlight is one of those funny places, as you know, where a lot of content comes through so we have every part of ourselves crossed right now in hope of a smooth approval process.

Thank you thank you thank you
-Oli, the coder ( Phil is presently social media-ering with everything he has )

vividhelix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »

Voted on Greenlight. Here's something useful, I found it a few days after I went on Greenlight as well and it's actually very accurate: http://greendb.iygamestudio.com/greenlight/. If you go to the greenlit version you can see how much it took for other games to get greenlit (http://greendb.iygamestudio.com/greenlit/).

Good luck!

OliDe-Vine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2016, 07:04:35 AM »

@VividHelix Thanks very much that's really useful! I can now see we're at the #2000s so lots of climbing to do :D

vividhelix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2016, 07:08:31 AM »

You'll do fine. They do tend to stall after a while, if there's one thing I'd suggest is do whatever pushes you can do in the beginning - I think Valve will give you more eyeballs if you seem to be getting more votes or more yes votes. That is one thing I'd do differently Smiley

In other words, don't wait to resurrect Greenlight in a few days from now, shoot all you have at it now!

magius96
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »

Reading through this, I've seen that the game supports 1 player, 4 player, and 8 player.  Does it support other quantities of players in between?  My wife and I would love to play this, but we haven't seen anything about how it will work with just two players.

Does the game adjust the orders and the time limit based on the number of players that are playing?  When there's fewer than four players, do the other players just take turns controlling each of the chefs?

- Jason Yarber (Magius96)
Website - Twitter - YouTube - Facebook
ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »

@Magius96: The game adjusts depending on the number of players. Generally speaking when there are fewer players you have slightly longer to deliver each recipe and the score boundaries for level unlocks is lower as well, but you're still only controlling one chef each : )

In the competitive mode we also have the option where two players can control 2 chefs each. Just like in the single player you  can leave one chef chopping (for example) then swap to the other to go fry some burgers (for example).

Hope that helps!

magius96
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »

It does thank you.  My wife is excited about it and can't wait until the game is Greenlit.  We've just bobbed in an clicked that vote button.

- Jason Yarber (Magius96)
Website - Twitter - YouTube - Facebook
tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2016, 08:42:32 AM »

"Co-op Cooking for 1-4 Players"

Brb trademarking the term Cook-Op.

Love the trailer, my appetite was already whet and now I'm just full-on starving.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2016, 01:04:18 PM »

Ahh can I just saw this is a fantastic idea for a game, and I think I know a good few friends who will 100% play this with me. They better damn well play it with me.

ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »

MurderOfPoes Nice!
hyperduck That's what we're all about. Folks gathering together to cook some food and ultimately set fire to their kitchens Smiley

Thanks to everyone who has voted for Overcooked on greenlight so far!! If you haven't already please do check it out here:

We're just a two-person outfit so we're definitely up against it when it comes to marketing. Please spread the word to your friends and maybe even to your enemies too! Thank you again Smiley

In other news: Oli finished implementation of our 'shared-pad' option. This means that players with 1 pad can still play the game with a friend and players with 2 pads can play the game with 3 friends! Entirely optional of course, if you have 4 pads you can luxuriate in having a pad to yourself : )

We also added a feature which allows 1-handed players to play the game entirely using just half a pad which we're pretty chuffed about as we've had a few disabled gamers request this!

Meanwhile I have been working on some our Hell themed kitchens, including this one:

Thanks again for all the support, as always feel free to fire any questions or comments at us : )

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »

It hasn't been greenlit yet? I'm freaking calling Gabe right now.

mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »

This looks like a lot of fun- great work. I shall lend my thumbs on greenlight.
*edit* oh man there's an ass in the logo. I'm hype.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic