Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:34:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOVERCOOKED! - Couch Co-op Cook 'em up
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: OVERCOOKED! - Couch Co-op Cook 'em up  (Read 50286 times)
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »

This looks super cute. Nice work.

ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2015, 03:48:33 AM »

@JctWood : No great secret to it I don't think. We tend to use two major light sources in a scene with a fairly bright ambient light. Our textures are usually fairly muted (I have a thing for muted colour palettes) and we use Specular/shininess pretty sparingly. I spent quite a long time playing with colours to make sure it all gels together ;-) Glad you like it!

@Keith : We're pretty excited by the different mechanics, for most worlds we have a few different mechanics we can leverage (We have ice levels which require you to navigate on moving Ice Floes for example, and we have city levels which are broken apart by earthquakes Smiley ) Throwing items is something we'd discussed in the past but never gotten around to implementing, maybe once the world map is finished...

@MrHelmut : Love TRATEOTU, definitely an inspiration for our space levels : ) and please do add us to your list. We have the beginnings of our own list of people to send the game to when it's ready to leave the nest!

@Andrew Brophy : Thanks, glad you like it!

Work continues on the World Map, although we've taken the day today to address some of the more boring admin side of things... We have it so the player can walk up to nodes on the map and interact with them to load the level. We also have our tiles flipping to reveal new level unlocks, just need to work on finessing it so the player can unlock some levels in different orders, and have the camera move to show the player what part of the map has just been unlocked etc. I'll be sure to post an update on Monday with some screens so y'all can have a look, but it feels really good to have this backbone of the game going in now : )

ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2015, 06:39:58 AM »

Hello everyone!

The world map is now in and functioning. Still needs lots of polish to bring it up to the standard we want and no doubt there will be lots of tweaking to make sure all the information the players need is communicate clearly enough. Here's how it looks at the moment:

(and yes, our placeholder red box avatar is called Thomas...)

This is just a test layout while we figure out what order we want the player to unlock levels (oh yeah and while we actually, y'know, finish making them Smiley ) We're going for a sort of branching/spidering approach which should hopefully mean:

A) Players have more choice as to how they move through the world
B) The layout is more conducive to replaying older levels
C) we can be certain they have experienced the necessary tutorials before moving onto more advanced levels

We're also using a star system (kitchelin instead of michelin Wink) which you can get a hint of from the GUI in the above gif. It's a fairly standard system but it means we have a simple currency for players to use to unlock new levels.

What else? One of the new levels we built yesterday introduced our pressure switch mechanic. Which means players need to communicate/work together to allow each other to move between different sections of the kitchen:

(Might speed the doors up a little so they're more like the doors in Star Trek!)

Scoring is next on the agenda. At the moment the basic metrics for this are: Time (how long it took you to deliver all the orders) No. Failed (the amount of orders you failed to deliver on time) and ingredients (the amount of ingredients you wasted... either because you misused them or didn't use them at all)

Also been fighting with GUI art this week, definitely not something I have a huge amount of experience with but hopefully I'll have something for you guys to look at/critique soon!

What else... Oh yes, Monty the office cat has been rubbing our noses in it by sleeping... a lot...:

P.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2015, 07:11:14 AM »

That world map.... looks so wonderful! Is only one player able to control thomas currently?

Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »

Now you have to make a level that's a spaceship in space. :D

Everything looks great so far.

Also, I use to have an orange cat. Sad

By any chance, can you make one of the chefs an orange cat? :D

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »

This thread makes me so happy.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2015, 11:50:37 PM »

What else? One of the new levels we built yesterday introduced our pressure switch mechanic. Which means players need to communicate/work together to allow each other to move between different sections of the kitchen:

(Might speed the doors up a little so they're more like the doors in Star Trek!)

That's cool! I feel like it could do with a red/green light on top of the door to highlight that it's linked to the switch, and to make it really clear when it's open or closed.

ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2015, 04:11:41 AM »

@JctWood - Actually at the moment all players can currently control the map avatar, but we're waiting to test this in the wild to see how it fairs. I suspect we'll end up going down the Mario 3D World route and have P1 in control...

@Keith - You read our minds. Here's how our cat chef looks in game at the moment:

@Bluebutton - Glad you're liking it! We built some finger-chewingly hard level this week which will probably make people a little less happy :D

@Ishi - Mmm yeah very good point. Will it add it to our increasing list of touches we want to make to improve the UX. Thanks :D

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »

I don't know how come I've managed to miss all the updates until then but very excited to hear of the space-themed level!! Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »

Woo!

Is there any possible chance to change the colour of the cat? That way my girlfriend and I can play as our cats. Haha.

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Sven_Ahlgrimm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »

The game looks amazing! Do you alredy have some audio and can you tell us something about your references regarding art?

ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2015, 06:21:39 AM »

@ephoete Oli has been pestering for a Space Level since we started the project, I'm really looking forward to showing more, they could be some of our more devious/mechanical levels in the game

@Keith I suspect we will end up with multiple cat models if the reaction we got from the ginger is anything to go by :D

@Sven_Ahlgrimm We already have some audio in the game. When we find some downtime we try to pop in as many SFX as possible but there's still looooads to hook up still Smiley Art reference I can't think of much off the top of my head, I generally like our bright but somewhat muted palette, gives everything a nice crisp feel. I guess maybe if you look at the background art of someone like Sean 'Cheeks' Galloway maybe...

UPDATES: This week we have been working on a trailer for the game. We showed a very early draft to some fellow devs who gave us a lot of great feedback on how to really polish the art to make it look as professional as possible.

Here's how our experiments with AO and env maps have gone so far:

Think I still need to play with the values some more but feels like it's a step in the right direction.

Also here's a neat rim shader we added to the characters:

As always please fire out any thoughts/suggestions. love to hear what you guys think and it helps us feel a little bit less secluded Smiley

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »

Do you do much with the camera during gameplay at the moment? I think some very subtle movement, possibly becoming more exaggerated/quicker and zooming in slightly as the orders start piling up, could add a nice touch of panic to things. It would give it a handheld camera feel, which wouldn't make sense given the viewpoint but could still add a touch of drama/urgency.

Alex Strook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:31 PM »

I love this !

The rim/fresnel effect on the character looks perfect

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »

This game looks rad! Who would have thought cooking could be so groovy?

One suggestion! If you mess up a dish, some of the diners should walk up to the take out window thing and throw their food back at you! That would be funny.

Also this game kind of reminds me of some of the N64 Pokemon stadium minigames.

ThilDuncan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2015, 05:53:22 AM »

First off apologies for the appallingly long delay on this update, we've been working really hard on the project over the last few weeks and have started to make some real headway. Definitely the hardest part about indie dev so far has been balancing making the game and remembering to actually tell people about it!

RujiK - Thank you! Glad you like it, really hoping we have a bit more time towards the end of the project to add cool features like the one you suggested : )

@Ishi - We do a little bit, but we could definitely do more, at the more it tries to track the characters as they move by panning but I think this actually impacts player accuracy a little so we're tempted to try zooming rather than panning. Also I'd love to try and add more camera shake and general play feedback using the camera!

@Strkl - Thanks so much! Yeah, it's make a big difference to the visuals I think!

What else?! We have been prototyping a 'dash' button which allows players to move in quick short bursts (Currently allows the player to dash through walls so might need some tweaking Wink )

So what have we been up to...

As discussed earlier the visuals have come on a long way. Here's a pic we posted on twitter which shows off our new lighting quite well:

What else... we now have a first pass trailer which is looking and sounding really nice, needs a little work before we can share it, hoping to show it to a few publishing types to gauge their reaction before we can share it with the wider world : )

This week I have been really knuckling down on levels. We now have roughly 25 playable levels (some fully arted up, some... less so!) here's a few tasters:

One of the harder levels in the game, this one requires players to manually rotate the outer rooms to access them. (For the eagle-eyed among you, this level has now been updated so that the side corridors no longer clip with the rotating rooms and their are more ingredients on offer than simply Meat :D)

Inspired by the Uncharted series this level involves moving between two moving food trucks to cook up some tasty burgers!

Other new levels include: Our first pitch dark levels which require players to memorize the location of different kitchen appliances. A control room level which requires half (or less) of the team to man a series of pressure switches to help the other player navigate through the kitchen beyond. A boat level which slide in 4 different directions, each time revealing new paths and closing off old ones.

Now that we have a good selection of levels we're going to throw them into a world map and give them a rough unlock order so we can start testing that side of the flow.

Love to hear any thoughts of any questions you guys have. There's so much of the game we haven't shown yet so feel free to fire away : )

- Phil

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »

I really adore the adventurous environments going in to the game!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »

Oh my god this game is really going sick, I didn't think any second we could go so far out of this concept. This kitchen galaxy level is mental!  Waaagh!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2015, 08:21:27 AM »

25 levels!? That's insane. How many do you plan on making?

I'm buying this game for sure when it's done.
vividhelix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »

Looks amazing. I'll gladly volunteer as an alpha/beta tester if you need one.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic