Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:12:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGridblaster
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gridblaster  (Read 2501 times)
VideogameBiscuit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2007, 07:15:34 AM »

I finished my maze-shooter, Gridblaster, today. It's my first game I made with Torque Game Builder. I have made a few simple games before with Game Maker, but this is the first one I ever published.

You can download it here:

http://www.videogamebiscuit.com/games/

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:14:34 PM »

Its a little hard to control, especially the aiming of the shooting. Here's a suggestion to make it easier to aim: Have four different keys in an arrow formation(wasd) for shooting and each key shoots in its coorisponding direction. It would also be cooler if the sprites were something else besides basic shapes. Everything else is pretty cool, keep it up! Grin

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »

Graphically it's quite decent and the concept itself isn't bad (I've seen various similar games). Speeding things up might make it feel a little better I think - it just feels sluggish atm.

Nice, first effort.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:24:19 AM »

Hello there!

Ok, I played a bit and here my first impressions:

The first thing that the game lacks are goals. The player is simply thwon in a grid and simply has to move and shoot. Nothing more. You need to give more goals to the player, something to achieve. Kill counts, doors to open, items to pick up, targets to destroy, people to save... Anything you can think of besides just shooting and moving. Give us a motivation to shoot or to move toward something except simple survival needs.

Second thing is that the controls are too controled. The player can't decide to turn back or decide where to shoot when he needs to. It cna work in a slow paced game mbut an action game like this needs very sharp and precise controls. You need to let the player change his mind and move or shoot in another direction within a split second. Right now, we can't.

I don't feel like the game has no progression. Feels like everything the game has to offer to the player is displayed within the first 2 minutes. This is linked to motivation... If there's nothing more to do or there are no new challenges after 2 minutes, well, the player won't have any motivation even if there are some items left to be picked up.

Always ask a confirmation when exiting the game. Pausing the game would also be nice.

The main menu feels less polished compared to the rest of the game. The buttons are clearly different than the rest of the visual of the game.

Well, that's it for now, hope this helps you!
Show us your next projects!
Guert

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic