Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 11:02:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDERPMINATORS! Party Action Shooter Brawler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DERPMINATORS! Party Action Shooter Brawler  (Read 579 times)
Afon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:21 AM »

Hi There, with some friends we made this Party Multiplayer Shooter Brawler Game in a Game Jam!  (2 Days)
I hope you laugh and have as much fun as we did making it / playing it :D
Any feedback is more than welcome! ENJOY! :D

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/654804

GekidoRising
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 05:53:41 PM »

Hey there! I decided to give this game a quick try the other night and unfortunately I didn't realize that the game had no AI in it so I was only able to get briefly run around and get a feel for the game's mechanics. With that in mind, since the game really requires 2 or more players, that might be part of the reason that replies are a little slow going here at the moment.

Fortunately, just now, I got my roommate to play a round with me! First to 10 kills! I won 10-6 haha

Anyway, here's what we had to say about the game:

• Overall, the game seemed adequately fun! Both my roommate and I had some very funny moments because I definitely recall us laughing whilst the both of us desperately tried to grab a gun that fired more then one shot. Undeniably there were some good moments in there!
  • The controls in general, my roommate described the controls as "if I may use one of your(referring to me) words, janky," which is a statement I must admit I agree with to an extent. I think this feeling is mostly derived from the extremely random reliability of the character as well as the weapons. I realize that this is, indeed, what gives the game a lot of its quirk and its removal would end up making the game quite a bit blander, but it's definitely an aspect that would need to be designed and balanced around so as to make it more funny and less frustrating.
  • On that note, I have to admit, the tripping animation was a little longer then my liking. I would say it was almost to the point that it started slowing down the pace of the game which I think is not quite the desired intent of the tripping mechanic.
  • The game's chaotic nature, at times, went so far that we had moments where neither me nor my roommate really understood what just happened, and unfortunately I don't mean we had hilarious "LOL WHAT!?" kind of moments (though they were definitely present at other times), but more along the lines of just genuine (but brief) confusion. There were definitely moments where we didn't understand why we didn't get a point for a kill, only to find out that the other character had just tripped, not died. Other moments, a character will die and still no points will be conferred, only to realize it was because the player had killed themself rather then being killed by someone else. On top of that, no one had any awareness of how much health they currently had, so there were a lot of instances of feelings such as "What I'm dead already!? or "Am I dead?". In short, there isn't a lot of distinction between the death animation and the tripping animation (even though the death animation also involves you falling from the sky, there were also too many moments where we tripped into the hole in the center and much the same, fall from the sky all the same) and the lack of health bars adds to the confusion.
  • Despite the lack of health bars, with my earlier mentioning of dying to your own bullets, my roommate discovered a strategy that if you didn't want another player to get points, you could just shoot at a wall and kill yourself from the reflected bullets, meaning no one wins. While self denying is a very strategic element in several games, I don't think it's suited for a fast pasted platformer shooter as it's ultimately a lose lose situation.
  • A funny suggestion that my roommate came up with. He noticed that when the player trips, he just drops his gun and it falls straight down. To add a little more randomness, he suggested that instead, when the player trips, his gun basically gets tossed into the air in a random direction. It would certainly help to clarify the tripping animation a little bit too!
  • If there's anything I can say that I really like about this game, it's that it actually has a huge amount of potential in terms of expansion! I mentioned earlier that the random tripping and weapon dropping is an element that would need to be balanced around and if you ask me what the best way to do this is, I'd say, "Add MORE randomness!" I know that sounds a little backwards, but in it's current incarnation, the only random elements of the game are actually negative, ie, the tripping and weapon dropping. The best addition I can think to a game based on random chaos is to add random elements that add benefits! And I say that this has huge potential because there are a whole load a ways that you can add this kind of randomness! For example, I can think of:
        Power ups (RAPID FIRE, SUPER SPEED)
        Other guns (A rocket launcher that when shot, shoots your character backwards)
        Temporary level modifiers (NO GRAVITY MODE, IT'S RAINING GUNS)

What I'm getting at here is that there is a HUGE potential for adding a ton of random zaniness to this game, to the point that I'm having fun just thinking of ideas!

In closing, while certain aspects of the game feel rather stiff, I think you've got the start of what could be a fun platform brawler! The art is totally adorable and conveys the nature of the game wonderfully, and as stated before, there's a ton of potential inside the concept itself!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic