Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 10:24:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAstatine 1.0.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Astatine 1.0.  (Read 2866 times)
Cesque
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:57:57 AM »

Hello tigsource! Those of you associated with the Game Maker community may know me, most of you probably don't. Either way, for over a year I've been working on a platform game in GM7 (unregistered, heh), and as for today, it is pretty much finished.

Astatine is a platform game with emphasis on exploration and combat (metroidvania, if you wish). It's rather dark and can probably be described as "Cave Story meets Quake". If you like games focused on exploration, secrets, some gore, and a background story - you should like it.

I'm looking for any feedback, but mostly bugs (obviously), difficulty/balance issues, level design (were any areas annoying/) and overall gameplay (were the controls confusing? did boss fights suck?). In case you encounter any major bugs, blame my beta testers so far - a bunch of lazy whining guys, with notable exceptions Tongue

Oh, and it would be highly appreciated if you got at least to the second or third boss before giving suggestions (I just had *so much* feedback on the game's first areas Wink). If you beat the game, make sure you tell me your secret percentage.

Here are the download links:

(the second is Rapidshare, so only use it if you're afraid of willhostforfood - I've heard some people got trojans there - but Rapidshare offers limited downloads)

http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=53936

http://rapidshare.com/files/196778814/astatine_10.zip.html

...and the screenshots:

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:19:39 AM »

Is the "Th" in "Thallos" supposed to be pronounced as a "F" or a "T"?  Roll Eyes

Cesque
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:57:54 AM »

Just "th" as in "think" or "faith" Wink
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »

astatine can kick your ass anytime

I had the awesome privilege of betatesting it, and I recommend it to like 83.6% of all tiggers

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »

Bug! I managed to fix uh... whatever I was supposed to fix in the first level before getting the coal. Still couldn't complete it before grabbing the coal though.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »

Just "th" as in "think" or "faith" Wink

Hehe ok... To me, with a Swedish toungue, it sounds really close to "Phallus" :D (which is "Fallos" in Swedish).

I'll try the game some day when there's an extra hour, and stop this nit-picking Smiley

Cesque
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »

jwap: Thanks for advertising ^_^ Now I only need cactus to say he likes it and I'm all set Wink

Cheater: I'm afraid I don't get what you mean... in the city area, to run the train, you have to fix the pump in the sewers and get the coal (you need the backpack), but you can do these two tasks in any order... so I'm not sure if you're talking about a bug. Or do you mean that you couldn't fix the pump before getting the coal or something like that?

jeb: Oh dear. Well, this adds a whole new Freudian interpretation to my game Smiley
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »

Very fun. Not being able to aim down while on the ground is irritating.

Neo1493
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »

looks good downloding now
Cesque
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 06:15:28 AM »

Let me know what you think once you play. So far I got a lot of praise and like 3 people who actually beat the game, myself excluded Wink

Thanks. Is aiming down really that necessary? Aside from a few areas, there aren't really enemies going up ledges, so I didn't see much of a point to let you run with your gun pointed at your toes. Then again, the game originally had a 90 degree rotation system like Cave Story, so not aiming down is a bit of its heritage.
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 01:24:56 PM »

Let me know what you think once you play. So far I got a lot of praise and like 3 people who actually beat the game, myself excluded Wink

Thanks. Is aiming down really that necessary? Aside from a few areas, there aren't really enemies going up ledges, so I didn't see much of a point to let you run with your gun pointed at your toes. Then again, the game originally had a 90 degree rotation system like Cave Story, so not aiming down is a bit of its heritage.

I've always been irritated that I'm standing at the top of a ledge, enemies running back and forth below me, and I have to either go down there or just if I want to attack them. I could stand jumping if there was any control to it whasoever IE: you always go the full length, there's no height control.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic