Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:39:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpell Masters! (turn-based puzzle for smart devices)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Spell Masters! (turn-based puzzle for smart devices)  (Read 13687 times)
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2015, 03:06:54 PM »

facebook

twitter

I decided to tell about this secret side-project, because we will be ready to show a demo very soon.

And this is how it looks now:

At this point it's turn-based game about wizards, so you can use only spells against enemies. Player have inventory, spellbook and quick slots for spells and items. Also player can meet merchants and npc (mainly in cities).

In summary it's something between a puzzle and hack'n'slash game and for mobile devices. More info about gameplay come soon.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:36:55 AM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:08:15 AM »

So, Basic Game Mechanics.

The main character is a Witch and her main weapon are spells, she can't use her rod to melee, only for magic. Player finds spells on levels and then copy them to spellbuk.

Each spell can be enhanced 2 times with a special item - mana sphere. Also there is a item which increases the health parameters of character.

In addition there is a belt with quick slots, for spells and also for healing potions.

Besides enemies player can meet npc and merchants, they usually located in cities (but also on maps with enemies sometimes). As usual - NPC devote player in the plot, merchants can sell healing potions.
After execution of first quest player opens a new hero, which is available alternative way of game walkthrough, as well as a new more powerful spell.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:26:26 AM »

just to be sure, are these mockups or actual screenshots?
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 05:59:06 AM »

just to be sure, are these mockups or actual screenshots?

Yes, actual screenshots, except first image that is signed "roguelike mockups". Why are you asking?

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:00:41 AM »

because your reputation precedes you, mr. 08  Smiley

on topic, tho, looking great as always. am I reading it wrong, or has the game indeed lost its roguelike elements in transition from mockups to game?
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:20:55 AM »

Oh, and what's wrong with my reputation? I probably missed something, tell me please.

on topic, tho, looking great as always. am I reading it wrong, or has the game indeed lost its roguelike elements in transition from mockups to game?

From roguelike genre there are only turn-based mode, top-down view and animation's lack of the enemies. c:

Now it's just hack'n'slash game, but only with magic/without weapons, check second post.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »

I going to assume he's probably referring to 5734L3R's rocky development

--

As as an avid IOS gamer, I'm really excited for this. Roguelikes and TBS work so well on touch screen and the pixel art here is great. The combat sounds really deep too. Definitely interested to see more

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:04:56 AM »

As as an avid IOS gamer, I'm really excited for this.

You don't really hear this very often, yet I always enjoy hearing it.

On the note of the project, looks pretty slick. Pixel art is great as per usual. Looking forward to the demo!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »

On the note of the project, looks pretty slick. Pixel art is great as per usual. Looking forward to the demo!
Oh cool I didn't realize you had a devlog for Blitz Breaker! Pretty excited for that too.

And heh, yeah, I play on my iPad as much as I do on PC and consoles. Do my best to spread the word on cool games on my blog and Twitter and took over the IOS Gaming threads on NeoGAF.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »

What can I say about Stealer? When I ready to do (or show) something, then I do it, that's it.

I going to assume dancing_dead is probably referring that i have only mockups, not games. But I have something more than just mockups, at least 2 releases: one game that I sold to Armor Games and Serious Dave, that we gonna send on FGL on next week. And also prototype of "Maze" game, that won first place in Kanobu jam, the jury of which were Jakub Dvorský (Amanita Design) and Jan "Poki" Müller (Daedalic).

So, what's wrong with my reputation, I still don't understand. It's indie, guys, for me it's mean make games when you want and as you want, no commitment (except to other co-developers of course), no any limits. Indepedent development.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »

relax, haha, don't read too much into it, it was said half in jest  Smiley

and, anyway, you don't owe anyone anything, so no need to make excuses.

real reason is that you've been posting mockups of this game before in places, so I was curious whether it had moved past that stage.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »

What can I say about Stealer? When I ready to do (or show) something, then I do it, that's it.

I going to assume dancing_dead is probably referring that i have only mockups, not games. But I have something more than just mockups, at least 2 releases: one game that I sold to Armor Games and Serious Dave, that we gonna send on FGL on next week. And also prototype of "Maze" game, that won first place in Kanobu jam, the jury of which were Jakub Dvorský (Amanita Design) and Jan "Poki" Müller (Daedalic).

So, what's wrong with my reputation, I still don't understand. It's indie, guys, for me it's mean make games when you want and as you want, no commitment (except to other co-developers of course), no any limits. Indepedent development.
Totally understandable.

We should probably bring the discussion back to this game. Can you talk a bit more about the spells system? In what ways can you modify your spells?

And it sounds like the game has an overworld and cities? That would be cool; games like Hoplite and 868-Hack tend to be more arena combat, survive as long as you can, and progress floor by floor

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »

Oh cool I didn't realize you had a devlog for Blitz Breaker! Pretty excited for that too.

And heh, yeah, I play on my iPad as much as I do on PC and consoles. Do my best to spread the word on cool games on my blog and Twitter and took over the IOS Gaming threads on NeoGAF.

Actually, I must say that not sure about iOS. We use Unity 5 that can compile build on iOS, but any of us don't have Macintosh to make it. Though we gonna try to solve this problem.

relax, haha, don't read too much into it, it was said half in jest  Smiley

and, anyway, you don't owe anyone anything, so no need to make excuses.

real reason is that you've been posting mockups of this game before in places, so I was curious whether it had moved past that stage.

Oh, I see c: Anyway I wrote this up front because often hear some allegations against me.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:15 AM »

Can you talk a bit more about the spells system? In what ways can you modify your spells?

And it sounds like the game has an overworld and cities? That would be cool; games like Hoplite and 868-Hack tend to be more arena combat, survive as long as you can, and progress floor by floor

On first tap player chooses a spell and it opens a menu of attack's direction (two types, directed and diagonal).

Second tap confirms the chosen direction and it cast the spell.

Usually the first level of any spell affects 1 enemy, all next levelups increases the number of enemies that got damage. Or it increases parameter of damage.
Also, player has an infinite mana, but maybe we will change it after the first public test.

Yes, floor by floor, but you can back on any visited level, because world is divided into levels which all are connected. So there are several ways to complete the game as in metroidvanias. And some of which are only available to locked heroes.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:16:20 AM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 09:14:39 AM »

WIZ'N'HAG

How do you like this name of the game, guys?

It's like Wiz'n'Liz and means Wiz(ard) and Hag (aka Witch).
So, is that ok? My english is bad and I'm not sure that it would be right and understandable.

Also, logotype:

Fayer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 09:42:38 AM »

Looks really good.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »

08 i like all your things but wiz'n'hag is not a most good name i think. never been a fan of 'n' ... it's a bit toys 'r' us maybe an ampersand? WIZ & HAG the new firm of Goldman, Wizard & Hag, partners, attorneys at law. not great, suggests the latin et... wiz et hag

i think maybe because 'wiz and hag' isnt great either... wizenhag maybe

maybe do like hagwizard or haggard or hagwizz

maybe crone instead of hag... gets you cronenwiz, wizencrone, cronewizard

but shes more of a pretty witch than a hag or crone, so maybe harpy, siren, vixen, beldam, augur

for wizard you could do magus, soothsayer, harbinger... idk, go too far from the norm and you might lose the reader. wiz'n'hag at least is clear and to-the-point.

hedges, hedgerows, suggests hedge wizards and hedge witchcraft, adventure on the roads, maybe a bit plain

'THE MAGICKS' or just 'ORDERS' maybe. hmm, orders is kinda plain. circles. PENTAGRAM, pentacles, bigram, bicycle, duogram, duocle... cvlts and covens. just 'the harbingers' maybe. omens and portents. strange bedfellows... an odd couple. the odds. ODDITIES.

CURIO.

idk.. youve got me kinda thinking about these two-character games with the two-character names. Pocky & Rocky. Sonic & Knuckles... Head over Heels.

arts & crafts
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:24:55 PM by tok » Logged
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »

I like the title and love the art, keep up the good work! Coffee

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »

Have to agree with Tok. Not really feeling Wiz n Hag.

What about 'Witch & Craft'? Sorcera?

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »

Fayer,   Beer!

Thank you for so detailed reply, tok, I have to think about all you wrote.

youve got me kinda thinking about these two-character games with the two-character names. Pocky & Rocky. Sonic & Knuckles... Head over Heels.

This option allows to add to heroes some individuality, maybe I should refer to the names, which would be a link to the history, myths or old games or movies.

Have to agree with Tok. Not really feeling Wiz n Hag.

What about 'Witch & Craft'?

There are at least 2 games with almost the same name. And one mobile games publisher. Smiley But thanks for variants, anyway, I like it.

I like the title and love the art, keep up the good work! Coffee
Thank you!

Well, 2 votes against "Wiz'n'Hag", one for this title. Not even sure whether or not to change the game's name.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic