Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:59:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Highrise (skyscraper / business sim)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Project Highrise (skyscraper / business sim)  (Read 9828 times)
doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »

Time for a fancy full-screen capture showing off our HUD UI! (How exciting! Smiley )

(Click through for full res version)

Also, let's zoom in on some of the offices:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:21:58 PM by doihaveto » Logged

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »

Some night-time construction. Our work is never over...   Beer!

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »

Pre-populating the new game dialog with real addresses of architecturally significant buildings  Grin

(So I'm an architecture dork, so what  Tongue )

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

Some specific things that we've learned and want to bring over to the game:

• The economic profile of skyscrapers - how the cost of building goes up as you keep going higher, and can make the building economically unfeasible beyond a certain size
  • The physical profile - how local laws impose caps and limitations, such as
    • Envelope requirements (like height caps, or setback requirements)
    • Air rights transfers (when there's a height cap, you might be able to buy height allowance from your low-rise neighbors)
    • Square footage caps (eg. that a building's total square footage can be at max 15x larger than the lot size - but if you build a public plaza, you could get an exemption and build a larger one)

That should make for a pretty juicy economic simulation Smiley

That said, I would *really* have loved to also add the simulation of effects of building depth, and things like how distance from windows and light wells affects rentability - but that's getting a little hard in a 2D view Smiley

Wow! That sounds superb.
An intricate economic simulation of skyscrapers and the laws and systems governing them would make for a wonderful simulation, but when illustrated with beautiful encyclopedia-like cut-aways - makes it a must play!

Good luck with further development.

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 01:18:57 PM »

@oleomingus - thank you!   Coffee

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

Just another day at the office...

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »

Everybody's getting ready for the Company Christmas Party...

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »

Check out the lobby in this building! Such sculptures! All those planters! They say money can't buy happiness - but it can certainly buy a lot of art. And art, by proxy, can buy prestige. And that's close enough to happiness, no? Smiley

(Yes, we've been doing a lot of work on the prestige and happiness systems lately.  Grin )

Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2016, 04:59:33 AM »

This looks really cool! I have recently thinking about what sort of art style I can use for my startup simulation game to set it apart from every other sim game, and a side view of the building and characters was on my list of potentials. Then I came across this thread and definitely like the vibe (though I'll be going for more of a cartoony/hand-drawn look)

Looking forward to playing this!

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »

This looks really cool! I have recently thinking about what sort of art style I can use for my startup simulation game to set it apart from every other sim game, and a side view of the building and characters was on my list of potentials. Then I came across this thread and definitely like the vibe (though I'll be going for more of a cartoony/hand-drawn look)

Hey, thanks! I have to say, having a side view makes it much easier to see what's going on in a simulation like that. We did some mock-ups of isometric 3d-like views, but that doesn't work well for a skyscraper: we ran into player friction trying to switch between floors, not being able to see everything at a single glance, etc... So the single 2d view was a clear winner. Plus, it looks like an architectural drawing come alive, which is a bonus Smiley

By the way, startup simulation sounds pretty awesome! On a related note, are you aware of startupcompanygame.com? It's something I just learned about this weekend, sounds like it's in a very similar space!

Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »

Wow I had seen a mention of it on IndieDB but didn't realize they had progressed this much! Looks great. Will definitely vote for their greenlight submission!

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »

Wow, I remember seeing this at Indie City Games. Seems like it has come a long way!
doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »

Wow, I remember seeing this at Indie City Games. Seems like it has come a long way!

Hey, thanks! :D  By the way we'll be there this Saturday, too, playtesting the new tutorial after the meeting!

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »

Tax day is still two months away, but I'm setting up an accounting office already Smiley

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »

Can I get a hand for this awesome fountain?  Well, hello there!

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 08:25:24 AM »

Ooooh man, I've hoped for a new game in the SimTower-genre for so long, and this looks really good Smiley
I love the art style and execution, the gameplay ideas sound exciting, and it looks like its coming along nicely.
If there's one thing to criticize: I find it a bit hard to distinguish some room types, like the office and doctors, probably because the contents and color scheme are relatively similar. Might not be an issue during gameplay.
And I'm really curious to see what it looks like in motion :D Would it be possible to do some gifs or something?
Are you using a custom engine?

Keep it up! Smiley

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »

Hey, thanks! I hope we can live up to the expectations Smiley

I know what you mean about room types. I think it's easier once you start playing the game, because there are color themes for particular types of rooms - warm beiges for offices, cool grays for retail, oranges for residential units, greens for restaurants, etc. - but it's not really obvious from these few screenshots. Smiley And for sure, we'll need to do some color grading work once we have all the assets in place.

Speaking of which, I should make some animated gifs! That's a good idea, things always look better in motion. Smiley Thanks!

And to answer your question, it's all Unity - but using my own spritesheet animation code, so that we could squeeze out more perf than unity's built-in sprite system. So far, on a desktop computer, I can build a tower with 500 rooms and 500 NPCs without breaking a sweat. We'll see about laptops and mobile, though Smiley

PS. Looking forward to Parkitect! I've been following the news about that game for a while now.

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »

A few new screenies showing UI to illustrate what's going on under the hood:

1. Your standard skyscraper:

2. Examining interior power lines, phone lines, water and gas hookups:

3. Heatmap showing tenants who are comfortably profitable (green) or trending towards insolvency (red):

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 07:55:38 AM »

Working on scenarios for a campaign mode... Starting with the Merchandise Mart in Chicago! Smiley

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »

Two screenshots this time!

1. A very narrow "Flatiron Building" scenario, where the only way to go is up.
Also there's a fancy building information UI in the lower right! Wink

2. Flatiron building a few hours later - looks like a very busy place Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic