Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411953 Posts in 69454 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

June 30, 2024, 10:40:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingArcheo new game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Archeo new game!  (Read 733 times)
Tefel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »

Hello,
I would like to present brand new game I work for half a year.
The game takes place in prehistory. Main character names Archeo. He is the caveman which is able to construct structures, tame and train dinosaurs. All units are different and complement.

Name: Archeo
Version: alpha 0.14
Gameplay: first two missions (~2h)
Link to download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzoGtIckTz2XY0VFMzV2bVFuSVk/view?usp=sharing

The game is free and I want to make it free.
Hope You will like it.

You can really help me by following project:
- official website - http://archeogame.com/
- facebook fanpage - https://www.facebook.com/ArcheoProject
- youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/ArcheoProject

Thnak You
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:14:29 AM by Tefel » Logged
Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »

The following are my thoughts as I played this game.  I played through the tutorial and a bit of Mission 2 before I died. I hope they help you make it better!

== Opening ==
Very cool title screen.  Love the fade in effect, great use of screen real-estate.
"Press Button" none of my buttons are working...
Caps-Lock somehow minimized the game...
Apperently "X" on the keyboard worked.  Why is it so specfic?
  - If it's going to be a specific button, PLEASE tell me which button to press.

== Main Menu ==
Menu system is a mess.  I can only use my mouse to navigate the menu, but I need to use my keyboard to bring it up?
No control explanation anywhere, wut?

== In Game ==
LOVE the music
The in-world help system is cool, but it can be hard to read at certain angles, very blurred.

2nd Information stone should be the 1st one, and right on top of you at the start.  As you stated "Porbably you know because you are here"
  - Why is "You" always capitalized anyway?
  - Second information stone should use a rewrite
Information stones should always show up ABOVE the walls and such, they can be hard to read when blocked by walls.
"Go to the southest area."?  Where I started?
All of the information stones need rewrites/proof-reading.  Lots of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.  If you are not a native English speaker, consider requesting an English speaker to proofread it for you.

"2" is the attack button?  Why?  Why not left or right click?
Hard to get him to face a chest to attack it.  I can't right click the chest to make him face it, he only turns when he walks.
  - Turns out the chest (in the storage room) is scenery, couldn't attack it anyway.  Why?

"2" can be mashed repeatedly to reset the attack animation.  It should wait until the attack is done to start again.

There is no charm to these information stones.  They are just very flat narration.  Seems like a wasted opportunity...

I like that the steel helmet auto-equipped when it was picked up.

Took me a while to figure out the information stone about the camera.  What is a secret button?  What does it do for me?

== Second Area ==
Still lovin the music
  - Although it doesn't loop that well...
It's dark next to the explosive barrel.  Very hard to see.
Amulet of life?  Where is it?  Is it on that treasure chest I can't reach?
  - Found it in a completely different area.  Why is it so far from the info stone?

Why am I throwing with "1"?  I have a mouse, why is this not point and click?  Middle mouse button? Right Mouse Button? Left Mouse Button?  No?
Ranged weapons are proving to be a pain in the ass.  Hard to actually hit...
My mana doesn't appear to be regenerating with the amulet on...

Giant Axe on the ground to the north, can't pick it up.

Fighting feels clunky and uninspired.  I can't even mash 2 to keep queueing it up because it keeps resetting the animation

Life regenerating amulet doesn't work... I can't get past this information stone.
  - Seriously stuck, no idea what to do.  The amulet is not regenerating my life.  The Information stone just says "Notice how instant life regeneration works."  That is not helpful at all.
  - I drank a health potion, that got me past the information stone.  It appeared that is what I had to do all along, but there was no explanation of this.
    * In fact, if it was intentional, what would have happened if I didn't have any health potions while I had the necklace equipped?  I would have been stuck!

== Mission 2 ==
Again, awesome music.

The dinosaur hint about special abilities came AFTER I fought it.  Should have been before.

What is a Gallimimus, and why do I want to take care of him?

Resource collection and an Era timer?  So is this an RTS?
  - I'm so confused, from the tutorial, I thought this was an RPG...

Dinosaurs do not respond to getting hit by rocks.  No Aggro or anything.

Why does Mana not regenerate over time?  I get why health doesn't, but mana-regen is pretty common in ARPGs

Died to a rhyno.

== Tavern ==
My seed had no enemies.  Normal?

Can I see the stats on the items before I choose one?
  I ended up picking up a club that had the same stats as my current one... yay...

== Inventory System ==
Not drag and drop? Odd...

==============================================================

Overall, I'd say the biggest thing this game needs is mouse targeting.  Without being able to set a target, combat is clunky and unenjoyable.  It's easiestly the biggest drawback to your game.  I also never figured out if I was playing an RPG or an RTS, not sure what the resource collection is for yet. Your game has alot of potential, but it has a long way to go, and needs alot of polish.  Best of luck to you with it.

-Highsight

Tefel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »

Thank You so much so for Your huge FEEDBACK. I really appreciate that!
I read it all but I don't know if I responded to all. Sorry for that.

== Opening ==
AZ keys starts game so almost any key.

== Main Menu ==
Menu respond to mouse only.
Explanation of menu use? Left click and it works right?

== In Game ==
It shouldn't be blurred. Can You send me print screen? Antyaliasing is off and it works great like here:
http://archeogame.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/1.png - really clear and easy to read.

I don't want to make game too simple and linear that's why some items are far away from clues. Pick-able elements are in bubbles so other map elements are obviously only background. Player should use map to get information about valuable objects.

Spelling mistakes I am fixing with every next version.

All behaviors of dinosaurs and main characters are intentional. Main character has also blending poses which is not used in many games. You can fight during the run. Animation resets because of balance purposes.

Left and right click is use for character control and friendly units selection.

The game has to be challenging that's why mana and health doesn't. You would just wait for mana regeneration and kill enemies from distance. Right now it is neccesary to find better items. Advance on highier level. Find friendly units and advance them to highier level. Then take off weaker opponents. There are many tactical aspects.

This is intentional to repeat the mission if You stuck or do something wrong.

Right! Everywhere You can find information that is RTS with RPG elements.
RTS aspect of the game is showed in next mission and multiplayer which is coming next version.
You may noticed that You can select and control friendly units and feed them using meat.

== Tavern ==
Alpha random seed means it is not yet polished. Right now mission is simple just to find one diamond.

== Inventory System ==
Yes only click

===================================
Mouse targeting for units or main character?
This game is more micro intensive. There are basic commands: move, attack, stop and hold.

Thank You for Your time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:36:19 PM by Tefel » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic