Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:38:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRIP Konami?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: RIP Konami?  (Read 46158 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 27, 2016, 02:07:25 AM »

dont worry, after seing how much money he has blasted on a logo, Sony probably considers mobile as a primary platform
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: July 27, 2016, 06:11:58 AM »

dont worry, after seing how much money he has blasted on a logo, Sony probably considers mobile as a primary platform

30-second logo is a freaking joke. Kojima's ego is pretty huge, so I won't be surprised if he makes this logo unskippable.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: July 27, 2016, 06:16:31 AM »

why is the walking dead guy there in the cover

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 27, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »

why is the walking dead guy there in the cover

because he is in the game. kojima sure likes his digitized actors lol.

btw kojima HAS made small budget games, even post AAA breakthrough. pretty sure boktai and zone of the enders didnt cost 80 million cash dolers to make.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: July 27, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »

i meant it mostly that he wears his walking dead look

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 27, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »

It will be funded with the toys of the logo. Giggle

More seriously, people who think the logo clip was ego miss the point, since he rebuild a studio, I'm sure that was part of test to get the production pipeline ready for game, all studio make prototype and test to see if they can reach a certain visual target and fix pipeline issue of the workflows. Kojima being smart as simply use it as a marketing tool too to reduce cost. He is starting from scratch and a trumpeting publicity early for his project (when nothing is truly done yet) assure to keep attention early and get teh words out.

For example all the Quantic dream short where about that too, the reveal that lead to heavy rain was not meant to be shown, until sony step up and they transformed it into a tradition.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: July 27, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »

yeah, gimmy's pretty spot on. besides, these are things that the studio would spend money on anyway (do you honestly think they'd launch Death Stranding without a production logo) so complaining that he's showing it off now instead of when the game launches down the line is a bit silly i think.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 27, 2016, 12:10:12 PM »

Ya gimmy is super right. What the hell was the art team supposed to _do_ (the core ppl, who kojima needs for hiring/building a team, and owes employment) while the technical team is vetting engines and the creative/design people are still tossing game ideas around? What are you gonna use as example assets for writing pipeline documentations? How expensive do you actually think a 5 sec animation of whale they already needed for their e3 reveal, and one AAA character, and a few particle fx is?

Sony (overall) is a ~150 billion dollar company, and the playstation is a legitimately very major pillar of their business. That's enough money for three thousand 50m games, or assuming each game takes 3 years, 1000 kojipro games. (That's money sitting in the bank or in the form of assets, not future earnings which may be even greater.) Obviously it's ridiculous to suggest they'd pay for 1000 hideo kojima games out of pocket, but not too ridiculous to imagine 50, or 100, projects that size over the next ten-fifteen years.

But what is tigsource if not a bunch of people who have no idea how or why large productions are budgeted?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:26:25 PM by joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ » Logged

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 27, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »

For reference, konami is a ~3 billion dollar company.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 27, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »

he made a really long logo because there isnt actually a game to edit another trailer out of yet
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 27, 2016, 02:54:50 PM »

i really hope a christmas themed parody of this game comes out eventually.
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:29 PM »

"Kojima Productions", "A Hideo Kojima Game: Metal Gear Solid", "Directed by Hideo Kojima"-intro before every MGSV mission. Yep, it's totally not about ego. Smiley
----
The logo cinematic itself could be much shorter and simplistic. Art-team could start making drafts for the upcoming game. I love Kojima's games, but I honestly think that he's been idolized too much.
----
About Sony's being huge company. It does not mean that they can throw money here and there. They failed on the mobile phones market, almost failed on TV market, failed on laptop market. Even 50$M dollars project can fail. MGSV did cover its expenses, but not in the 1st week (lige GTAV did), and not even in 1st month.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 28, 2016, 02:05:32 AM »

"Kojima Productions", "A Hideo Kojima Game: Metal Gear Solid", "Directed by Hideo Kojima"-intro before every MGSV mission. Yep, it's totally not about ego. Smiley

yes, but mgs5 also credits the level designers and etc on every mission. how many games do that?

also i think it's more the game trying to mimick a TV series than anything ego related. it just comes off a little awkward because so much of the story had to be cut out, so individual missions don't really represent "episodes" anymore.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:36:43 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 28, 2016, 01:52:56 PM »

About Sony's being huge company. It does not mean that they can throw money here and there. They failed on the mobile phones market, almost failed on TV market, failed on laptop market. Even 50$M dollars project can fail. MGSV did cover its expenses, but not in the 1st week (lige GTAV did), and not even in 1st month.

Source because it did better than avenger 2 who was a 250M$ movie ...

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: July 28, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »

Source because it did better than avenger 2 who was a 250M$ movie ...
what? i actually need a source ofr that. and are we talkign about raw profit?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 28, 2016, 03:18:04 PM »

We had that discussion in the mgs5 thread, I'll fish source there, meanwhile take this quick googling:
https://www.vg247.com/2015/10/15/metal-gear-solid-5-made-twice-as-much-as-avengers-age-of-ultron-on-launch-day/

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: July 28, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »

Developers don't get all of 60$ from retail price. Revenue does not equal profit.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/09/06/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-sells-3-million-units-but-its-not-out-of-the-woods-yet/#3c5d08bd2dad
http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/how-many-copies-does-metal-gear-solid-v-need-to-sell-to-break-even/
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 29, 2016, 06:44:30 AM »

I have make a breakdown of the cost and revenue in the mgs5 thread, and notice that twice avenger (which is the costlier in all metric, with 250M$ production cost and is profitable) is in a single day, sales tend to taper after a month, and that's without derivative product like the ost who was first in Itunes for a moment. While marketing cost is unknown, do you believe avenger can bne profitable at 250M$ but not mgs for almost 3 times less the budget?

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: July 29, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »

I have make a breakdown of the cost and revenue in the mgs5 thread, and notice that twice avenger (which is the costlier in all metric, with 250M$ production cost and is profitable) is in a single day, sales tend to taper after a month, and that's without derivative product like the ost who was first in Itunes for a moment. While marketing cost is unknown, do you believe avenger can bne profitable at 250M$ but not mgs for almost 3 times less the budget?

I believe that comparing movie (average ticket - 5$) with game (60$) is wrong. Smiley
1st Avenger's box office is 1.5 billion. Even if average ticket price is 10 dollars (and in my country it's 3$), you'll get ~150 000 000 audience. Even GTA5 has "only" 50M+ of copies sold.

I doubt that MGSV has even 10M+ of copies sold, as it was ~6 in January (including digital downloads).
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 30, 2016, 08:13:32 AM »

But we are not, we are comparing the cost vs the revenue. We are not comparing audience which has nothing to do with profitability.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic