Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:04:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRIP Konami?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31
Print
Author Topic: RIP Konami?  (Read 46155 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 19, 2017, 02:58:10 PM »

Boob(er)+ man + TRAP runner = transphobic term hidden in game name pun

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 19, 2017, 03:03:38 PM »

I don't even understand what caused you to mention transphobia to be honest. Can you elaborate?

seriously? there's a lot here.

a- referring to a trans woman (or, i guess, catch all feminine people you don't think are cis) as a 'trap' is a shitty internet joke/slur that originated to jeer at those people. Its history aside, it's founded on the premise that the subject is trying to 'trick' (or: 'trap') you into thinking they're female, which is also an inherently deeply transphobic premise. If you want to read 100000 people laboriously explaining this and other similar concepts u can google it.

b- even if that was somehow a totally respectful thing to say, the delivery of the joke was predicated on tubo brother bolding the word 'man', and then making a joke by drawing contrast with that and the fact they were 'traps', which is, geez, even if 'trap' was a totally cool, not shitty way to refer to a trans woman, a joke all about misgendering people ?? ?

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 19, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »

just to clarify a bit cause I can see this argument coming: calling someone you think is a cis woman a 'trap' is a transphobic joke too, cuz you're making fun of them by describing them as a (slur for a) trans woman.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 19, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »

Welp, I can tell this is a touchy subject, so I'll leave it alone. I was only asking because I was unfamiliar with the term and its history.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »

Yep, one off-the-cuff joke is a real barometer of my personality. Now that I have been totally exposed as a raving transphobic I only have hours left to hunt them down in the streets before I am apprehended by the forces of extreme tolerance.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 19, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »

Yep, one off-the-cuff joke is a real barometer of my personality. Now that I have been totally exposed as a raving transphobic I only have hours left to hunt them down in the streets before I am apprehended by the forces of extreme tolerance.

Man, i just pointed out the stupid joke was hateful towards people, I didn't make some grand judgement about your character or identity beyond that.

Responding to fairly gentle criticism of your shitty joke by lashing out is a pretty telling barometer of your personality, though.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 19, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »

Well I felt like I was being strung up a bit and my first response to that is to tell people where they can stick it. If it was gentle criticism then I apologise for flying off the handle.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: February 20, 2017, 02:06:19 AM »

I saw this and decided not to respond at first, but yeah. Although using "trap" or "tranny" isn't inherently transphobic, it can be interpreted to be when it has negative connotation. There are quite a few circles who use this language while they're actively engaged with trans people in, uh, positive ways (though to be fair these circles usually objectify trans people). Just like "faggot" can be hurtful or not depending on context.
It's perhaps a little insensitive to use it in a joking manner, but I definitely wouldn't say it's transphobic. You definitely didn't need your character to be attacked, because when I first saw it I didn't think of it as malicious at all.

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:14 AM »

I'm not american or something, so I'm not familiar or interested in 'identity politics'. But it took me bit to understand you are serious.
Reminds me of the currently going Pewdiepie thing where you can't joke anything or you are labelled to be -ist for something.

==
Back to topic, I have fond memories of Super Bomberman and I'm glad that they are making new one. I might pick this one up for 15€ later on, doesn't scream full-priced game for me.
Tough 8 player multiplayer sounds hella fun.

Also, roguelike bomberman type game would be sweet, somebody get on that.

edit. sorry for bad english.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »

I saw this and decided not to respond at first, but yeah. Although using "trap" or "tranny" isn't inherently transphobic, it can be interpreted to be when it has negative connotation. <...> Just like "faggot" can be hurtful or not depending on context.

i mean, i'll give you that those terms are equivalent, and I'll give you that there are places and situations where people may not be hurt by them, but if you think f~ isn't homophobic I don't know what to tell you.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 20, 2017, 08:10:21 PM »

If you make jokes about anyone you're bound to offend people. You can have a little chuckle at the naughty joke and recognise that it might've been ill-advised, which I do, and then give a little apology for it which I'm about to do. Then not do it again. Reacting with hostility might not be the best way to go about it and I'm totally guilty of that, what lack of tact. So apologies to anyone else who might've been offended by my little jest.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »

Well comedian have a concept of punching up instead of punching down, offensive jokes are often recruiting, signaling, recognition, and upholding these views in a way that is safe, test water and test limits of people who don't think less. It's always a joke, then they joke that it does have some truth behind, then it's outright statement, insult and mockery. Offensive jokes are ambiguous by nature, as such they are perfect mask to advance covert ideology, and it's the perfect weapon to control narrative, after all if you can't take a joke you just a righteous piss taker right? Those joke are funny because it allows you to have the bigoted views and get away with it and shift the blame to someone else, it's the only situation where you have the cake and eat it too, that's a shrodinger facade. People like to say we used to have more freedom before because we could make all sorts of jokes, well look at this has led us, the normalization of racist thoughts and behavior and moderate taking side with literal nazi. These jokes have real life consequence once you actually stop being ignorant about theses issues, so yes offensive jokes are actually offensive in a very real way, they trivialized pains and normalized violence.

To avoid any ambiguity I just avoid them and downgrade any esteem for people who uphold them. BTW all people I know that made these jokes have turned into full blown racist/ableist/etc when time was serious, so yes it's anecdotal, but I would rather have false positive here.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 20, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »

BTW all people I know that made these jokes have turned into full blown racist/ableist/etc when time was serious, so yes it's anecdotal, but I would rather have false positive here.
That's just muddying the waters.
kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 20, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »

Hey guys. Am I the only one who thought that the original poster was referring to the playstation game Trap Runner released on 1998 ? The game was actually very good, and it actually does look very similar to the bomberman video. So I think there isn't any ill intent...

** EDIT (actually i read the messages in reverse order, the bomberman video was posted after the comment haha)

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 20, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »

The similarities between the two is what spurred me to crack wise.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 20, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »

It was a reference to the game, that's how the pun work, it wasn't just a reference to that.

BTW all people I know that made these jokes have turned into full blown racist/ableist/etc when time was serious, so yes it's anecdotal, but I would rather have false positive here.
That's just muddying the waters.

Offensive jokes already do that, that's why they are offensive. BTW the irony if that you are offended by someone pointing that it was offending, which show that once you are the target of a statement, jokes of neutral, it's not funny at all. And it wasn't funny anyway Tongue

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »

It's muddying the waters in this case because you're comparing me to an anecdote which also has the side effect of undermines my efforts to apologise.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 20, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »

I was trying to provide context, as other people are still asking what's the deal, it wasn't originally targeted at you (no quote), I should have skip your quote answer.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: April 06, 2017, 04:42:19 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/05/diego-maradona-threatens-sue-pro-evolution-soccer-creators/
Diego Maradona threatens to sue Pro Evolution Soccer creators

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: April 06, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »

nice to remember that indie game devs are still just as behind as aaa game devs (if not...more) when it comes to Treating Humans with Respect

thats my only comment for page thirty other than obviously konami still sucks lmao

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic