Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:17:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLostgarden?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lostgarden?  (Read 5411 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2007, 03:26:04 PM »

Does anyone happen to know this guy?  Artist, game designer, worked on Tyrian for Epic... seems like someone I'd love to invite to TIGForums, but I can't seem to find his e-mail anywhere.  (Probably because he doesn't like getting e-mail.)

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »

If that pic happens to be his self portait it makes sense he doesn't like e-mail, anyways, try to leave a message in his great blog or read my PM and send him an email.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:32:01 PM »

That guy is a champ. Really top quality blog.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »

Thanks, guillermo!  Data hooked me up with his e-mail, so I sent him a note.  I'd love to have him contribute!
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »

Been reading lost garden for a while, the guy's some kind of oracular space genius. He has great insight on why most games are fucked. Plus, Tyrian was Christawesome so he gets extra points for that.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »

I remember reading this article a while back http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-genre-innovation-strategy.html, and it really illustrated nicely the problems I was feeling with what he calls "genre addiction".

See, I like making games like, for example, shooters. But I really do find it very unpleasant to think about the demands of the hardcore shooter audience. I don't really want to make games for people that are hardcore into any genre. I find them a bit icky and scary. I'd rather make games that are jolly and hark back to the time when people would give just about anything a go and developers weren't saddled with all this genre baggage.

I like working within certain genres. But hardcore genre fans creep me out a bit.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:10:47 AM »

I'd rather make games that are jolly and hark back to the time when people would give just about anything a go and developers weren't saddled with all this genre baggage.

I couldn't agree more.

Danc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:37:18 AM »

Appreciate the kind remarks.  I've been catching up on some of the posts here.  It's good to see the passion!

take care
Danc.

Spry Fox, Lostgarden
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic