Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:50:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs-Heavier than Air-
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: -Heavier than Air-  (Read 17534 times)
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »

-- -- --

Nico M: Code, Design, Etc.
Compostface: Visuals, Design, Audio, Etc.

-- -- --

Hi, we have been working on this project for a few months now, on a very part-time basis.

Progress so far, in GIF form: https://imgur.com/a/9ffMn

Built with luxe engine

-- -- --

--

A couple GIFs from the above link:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:47:18 PM by compostface » Logged

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »

We only moved to proper slope-based collisions in the last week, so up to and including today I've been focusing on making the editor as simple and robust as possible.
Today I got snap to vertex, edge, horizontal axis and vertical axis. Its pretty fun to just mess around and make stuff now.

rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »

Great slopes!   Beer!

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »

Great slopes!   Beer!

heh, you'd be surprised how much that means to me, slopes were supposed to be in day 1 and took me this long, so its always nice to see some appreciation;)

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 06:50:03 PM »

Speaking of slopes, I've been working on a few tiles that are more slooooooopey;

They might be a bit small actually.

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 07:06:34 PM »

Nice art.

What do you guys think of Luxe so far?
Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

Nice art.

What do you guys think of Luxe so far?

I love it, fits perfectly with how I want to make games, gives me what I need, lets me feel like I'm still in control, focuses on nice structure, I doubt if I'll ever leave it by choice.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:22:34 PM »

This is looking very cool!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 11:25:26 PM »

Suuuuuuuper cool look and I love the large beasties! Excited to see where this goes  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right

anissen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 12:06:38 AM »

Looks great! I love the art style and am excited to see where this game is headed. Following!
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »

Looks like it feels very nice to play! If that makes sense... Great speed and the animations are really nice
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 02:02:10 AM »

Seems really cool, keep up the good work! And it's nice to see others custom editors! Smiley

Hyiero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 07:09:26 AM »

Looks awesome! Keep up the good work!
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 07:42:42 AM »

Looks great so far! I love the idea of the main char, it reminds me a bit of the main character from journey. (faceless robed person)
GIF of the platforming look very smooth too! Like everything flows well.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »

Hi! Nice job with the editor, looks like it will make it pretty easy to create the levels.

I like how the monsters look like they could be a part of the landscape. The art is very evocative.

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »

Thanks.  Yah, I hope to make most of the creatures very much integrated into the environment.

This was an earlier sketch of the one that's in there right now:

It looks kinda interesting, but I couldn't figure out a satisfactory run cycle for it.

-- --

Re: luxe,
Overall it's great.  I like writing code in it far more than Unity. Currently it doesn't have any kind of built in editor so that can be painful sometimes, depending on what I'm making.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »

this looks awesome. super duper cool character design.

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »

Thanks everyone! glad you seem to be liking it:D

@jamesprimate, thanks so much, I've been following rain world for year(s?) now and it means a lot to hear such nice things from you(:

To everyone else I know previously or not, thanks for taking the time to check this out:D

We're trying to settle on a direction now that the foundations are in, realizing we don't really have a broader plan yet and need to think out combat, interactions and overarching setting. Hopefully we can narrow it down in the next few days and get some prototype interactions in, feedback and thoughts is for sure appreciated, though we don't necessarily want to let anything influence us too much without thinking it through, but feel free to share your thoughts/ideas.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:45:27 PM by NicoM » Logged

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 04:53:49 PM »

This is looking really cool. I hope you put emphasis on the enemy intelligence and interactions. Cutting apart robots is so much more satisfying when they fight back.

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »

Today we talked a little about enemy and combat design, thinking through different styles of combat. This is kind of challenging due to the size of the player on screen, so it's going to take some thought + trial and error.

I also worked at trying to make jumping feel better on slopes. Due to *physics* if you are moving fast horizontally on a slope and then jump, if the slope is too steep you will still be pressing against it, ruining the feel of the jump. Some games can work around this because their player is aligned to the slope, but ours is not. So, instead, my attempt to alleviate this is to actually increase the players jump height when they are climbing a hill. If I up it too much it feels overpowered though, so jumps on slopes are still far shorter (at least perceived) vs. jumps on land. I think I'm nearing the sweet spot though and its feeling ok, further testing will hopefully give us a clearer idea, maybe we will just have to stay away from heavy slopes.

/uninteresting-tedious-log

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic