Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:06:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs-Heavier than Air-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: -Heavier than Air-  (Read 17533 times)
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 02:51:54 AM »

-Heavier than Air-
 I'd be careful with the game getting to dark. If you can't tell the ground form the enemies that could get confusing. Make sure that there are some visual differences. I would stand at the other end of the room and if you can easily tell the difference.

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

Today I did the not-so-interesting job of making everything work (including my IDE) with the latest versions of haxe, luxe, and the completion plugins. Everything is running smoothly now (or as smoothly as it was before, in need of some optimization lol).

Unfortunately I'm going away for around a week starting Friday, so there will be nothing interesting (at least implementation-wise, some design or art may still come up) until I'm back. Hopefully then I can start work on some basic enemies (may start with traps this time).

kairunotabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »

This is epic! From the looks of it, this seems to have an intense story line.
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:14 PM »

I want it. I need it. This looks like the making of an awesome title so far.

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 05:05:41 PM »

I want it. I need it. This looks like the making of an awesome title so far.

Thanks! we hope it does too:)

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 07:28:36 PM »

wow, this looks really cool! Love the visuals and fast gameplay. following

I do feel like the visuals need one more color spread around a bit to add some contrast; maybe large splashes of blood when you hit things?

It looks kinda interesting, but I couldn't figure out a satisfactory run cycle for it.
I imagine a sort of ape-like lope when I see this

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »

wow, this looks really cool! Love the visuals and fast gameplay. following

Thanks! I'll let him respond to the visuals stuff if he's not busy, but glad you're liking it:D My quick note on the art is that we have no details added yet, this is just the base level material basically, there will be cosmetic details on top (and possibly other materials).

Nico

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »

I'm far from settled on anything colour/art wise.  Not sure if there will be other environments altogether yet, but they would have a different colour scheme as well. Depends on our scopeeeeee.

Increased saturation looks kinda neat, for example:

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »

I'm far from settled on anything colour/art wise.  Not sure if there will be other environments altogether yet, but they would have a different colour scheme as well. Depends on our scopeeeeee.

Increased saturation looks kinda neat, for example:

yesssss

Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »

My Oh my. This looks spectacular! The artwork you're sharing  is sure to make a splash.

Can't wait to see what you have in terms of audio. Looks like a lot of fun to be had - especially for sound design. Designing sound effects for huge, hulking creatures? Yes, please!

rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »

Due to *physics* if you are moving fast horizontally on a slope and then jump, if the slope is too steep you will still be pressing against it, ruining the feel of the jump. Some games can work around this because their player is aligned to the slope, but ours is not. So, instead, my attempt to alleviate this is to actually increase the players jump height when they are climbing a hill.

Hmmm. Fascinating to consider. The increase in jump height would be proportional to what, the rise of the slope? But as you say it feels overpowered if it exactly matches that, so you scale it down a little?

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 06:21:15 PM »

Due to *physics* if you are moving fast horizontally on a slope and then jump, if the slope is too steep you will still be pressing against it, ruining the feel of the jump. Some games can work around this because their player is aligned to the slope, but ours is not. So, instead, my attempt to alleviate this is to actually increase the players jump height when they are climbing a hill.

Hmmm. Fascinating to consider. The increase in jump height would be proportional to what, the rise of the slope? But as you say it feels overpowered if it exactly matches that, so you scale it down a little?

Sorry I've been away and didn't see that post, yes that's the idea, its pretty rough feeling and will need a combination of tweaks to that multiplier and us staying as much away from steep slopes as we can when designing levels. If it really holds us back I may come back to the issue but there is no real fix without changing the way the player interacts with the environment, which isn't gonna happen...

Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »

Since getting back, I've been working on making the editor feel more like proper software. So it now has native dialogs for save/load, a prompt when you exit, quicksave to last file, and an autosave every 20 seconds.

Open dialog, plus you get to see a pretty screenie of my working conditions.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:29:59 PM by NicoM » Logged

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »

I'm really am loving the look of this. Even the editor looks brilliant, non tile games can be hard in that respect. It is cool to see nice game being made in Haxe too. Smiley
Are you on a mac or sweet linux? Those windows look sweet, definitely cool. Love The darker scheme.

Edit: No way, I just realised you are the guy I sent an email to, the other day (Ice Entity). Funny to see you here. Nice work!

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Nico May
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »

I'm really am loving the look of this. Even the editor looks brilliant, non tile games can be hard in that respect. It is cool to see nice game being made in Haxe too. Smiley
Are you on a mac or sweet linux? Those windows look sweet, definitely cool. Love The darker scheme.

Edit: No way, I just realised you are the guy I sent an email to, the other day (Ice Entity). Funny to see you here. Nice work!

Thanks! yeah the editor's been a lot of fun to work on actually, I worry that I enjoy it more than the actual game logic, but oh well.

This is actually windows, with a fancy theme pack thing;)

And oh, cool! funny how small everything is, hopefully I didn't let you down with that email:/

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

I like the way this looks. Posting to follow.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »

this is cool i luv the art

excited to see more of this
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:22 PM »

Nico added a preliminary shader pipeline to the game. So we have both been making things of undetermined usefulness.

\o/

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »

Love the aesthetic.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »

Is that creature... charging... from/in the ground?

Looks great by the way! I don't like the lines you did with the shaders above tho. Tongue

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic