Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:48:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCritique my Pixel art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critique my Pixel art  (Read 2529 times)
JintanSper
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:07:11 PM »

I also experimented with background.

I feel like THE Background and Character are lacking some things to make it more realistic.
Go CRAZY Evil on the critiquing, I need real opinions and advice to get better.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:41:19 AM by JintanSper » Logged

Come forth Rush'n!
Xer0~Paige
Level 0

!(quite)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:16 PM »

Hey Jintan, I like the silhouette, it's a nice little design and pose! My suggestions would mostly be toward colour.

The main problem I'm seeing is that this character clashes heavily with the mountain behind him. I would personally avoid using black lines on said mountain. Its colours should be closer to the colour of the sky due to it being off in the distance - this is known as "atmospheric perspective". It's also tied to the fact that you want your characters to really pop and stand out from the background. Otherwise they will blend in and that will make your game unattractive. Look into things like saturation and complementary colours. I find it's good to have your characters a little more saturated than the backgrounds. That said, perhaps your sky could stand to be a little bluer, and your dirt a little browner.

Hope this helps.
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »

Hi Jintan, ya the shapes look great and composition is good as well. I think each element is well done, the only issues are the contrast and saturation between individual elements that need some work.

Zero hit a lot of good points, here is an example of some of things Xero mentioned.

Main points, keep the contrast between background elements very low- the mountains 2 colours had sharp contrast, here it was lowered to simulate atmospheric distortion. The clouds really contrasted the sky, plus they had the saturated blue outlining which would normally would be used on closer elements or the characters. Here the clouds colur was changed to not contrast the sky so much and the blue lining was removed. Lastly the saturation on the foreground elements and the player sprite was cranked to further separate the foreground from background. The sky was also made more blue per Xero's suggestion although you may have wanted a more limited palette overall.

Nice work!

JintanSper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »

Thank I will work on the contrast and saturation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:48:59 AM by JintanSper » Logged

Come forth Rush'n!
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »

Excellent critique from Xero and Devr0s.  Here's a cheap trick to test your color choices.  In photoshop go to layer>new adjustment layer>black & white and it will create a black an adjustable black and white layer that basically strips out the color and lets you see the lights and darks of your image.

Here it becomes even more obvious that those shadow lines on the mountain are really distracting in the original image, wheres in Devr0s' update they fade into the background.  Keep up the good work!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic