Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:24:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)My flash questions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My flash questions  (Read 1474 times)
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »

So, first post here after a long time of lurking around. Gentleman

I've been using Multimedia Fusion 2 (as well as 1.5 and tgf) and am fairly decent with it.
I'm starting up a new project now and initially I was going to do it in MMF2 but I've slowly set my sights on using flash instead (kinda big step, but that's just fun). This new project is a comic-style superhero type of game, would benefit from the nice vector graphics (even though vector can be slow).

There's one thing that irks me though, flash doesn't support Ogg, and the only other supported non-lossless/huge filesize container is mp3. I read somewhere on the internets that someone managed to get Ogg going in flash using HaXe (or whatever).
Is it possible to get it working properly and efficiently? Or is it just better to cough up money for the mp3 license (yes I intend to sell the games i make)

Thanks and cheers.  Beer!

//EDIT: Might just as well use this thread for most of my questions about flash.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:45:28 AM by LuZeke » Logged

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »

I think Adobe covers the mp3 license for their products...

inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:52:08 PM »

Hm, didn't think about that. Maybe it does... checking now!

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 02:54:16 PM »

The license seems to be required for the decoder rather than for the files themselves, and the decoder is part of Flash, not part of any program you create, so it's likely Flash covers it.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »

non-lossless
Two negatives make a positive, but it'd be easier to just say "lossy" to avoid confusion Tongue
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:55:34 AM »

non-lossless
Two negatives make a positive, but it'd be easier to just say "lossy" to avoid confusion Tongue
Not a bad idea for avoiding ambiguity. Though personally I couldn't care less, it seems no small amount of people, not least yourself, aren't half keen on enforcing grammar at every opportunity.   Tongue
Technically, "non-lossless" is a an example of litotes, and has subtly different connotations to the word lossy.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic