Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:35:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsNext official competition?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Next official competition?  (Read 4545 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »

It seems like it's been an incredibly long time since the last big themed competition on TIGSource, which is a really big bummer, imo. I think some of the best TIGSource titles have come out of those competitions, and it's a real shame that we haven't had one in so long. Any ideas as to why that is?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:12:04 AM »

Forum inactivity perhaps? Also, I'd be up for a small one week compo with a random theme.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »

I blame Derek.

To be fair though, I blame everything Tig-related on Derek. Big Laff

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »

Well, let's be fair here. There's a LOT of compos out there, unlike when we had them before. And the results of these compos has been pretty nominal; but usually ones that give a decent amount of time to asset, code, and polish - so 1-3 monthers are usually the good ones.

itch.io has jams, Ludum Dare and Mini LDs occur on the regular, and the Competition forum gets fresh meat all the time. I guess we could brainstorm for themes, no reason any of the higher-up mods couldn't new-board-thread one.

But what could we do that would live up to such delightful themes as the Assemblee, ProcGen, or A Game By It's Name series?

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »

What about a crowdsourced game compo? Have a thread for each participating team's game and whenever three or more people that aren't members of the team suggest including something in the thread, it MUST be included in the game, and the same for excluding things. Threads would be locked on the final stretch (between a day and a week, I'm not sure exactly) so that the last bit was just for polish/finishing adding things. A moderator would probably have to keep track of what things are required to be in the game, and teams should probably be required to post daily/weekly updates on progress- so that people know what the game they're suggesting stuff for looks like. Call it
Mostly Independent Game Jam.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »

I like your idea, but that would require significant trafic to the forum.

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »

As few as 6 competitors would still work- as long as they're relatively active.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic