Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:59:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPoly Bridge - with Greenlight stats
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Poly Bridge - with Greenlight stats  (Read 5890 times)
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »

Have you played the game Bridge Constructor?  That game was awesome.

This looks like pretty much the same thing, but I do like the aesthetic you've gone with and I like that you are including different more interesting win conditions (two cars coming head on / two cars entering the stage at different levels).

The most fun I had with Bridge Constructor was not in finishing the really challenging levels, but with experimenting on the earlier easy levels in creative ways (for example I tried to beat the whole game only using bridges that contained jumps).

Also there was a real cheese strategy to beat that game where you could make a reverse suspension bridge (by running a cable below one long piece of bridge and creating a swaying rope bridge kind of thing).  I thought they should have included some kind of structural damage that builds up over time with bending to avoid cheesery.  Just my thoughts about bridges, bridge construction, and bridge enthusiasm.

Caravan: devlog | website
drycactus
Level 0

Indie dev

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »

Have you played the game Bridge Constructor?  That game was awesome.

This looks like pretty much the same thing, but I do like the aesthetic you've gone with and I like that you are including different more interesting win conditions (two cars coming head on / two cars entering the stage at different levels).

The most fun I had with Bridge Constructor was not in finishing the really challenging levels, but with experimenting on the earlier easy levels in creative ways (for example I tried to beat the whole game only using bridges that contained jumps).

Also there was a real cheese strategy to beat that game where you could make a reverse suspension bridge (by running a cable below one long piece of bridge and creating a swaying rope bridge kind of thing).  I thought they should have included some kind of structural damage that builds up over time with bending to avoid cheesery.  Just my thoughts about bridges, bridge construction, and bridge enthusiasm.

Hey, yea I've played Bridge Constructor and most of the other bridge building games over the years.
It has definitely become a more established genre in recent years.

What sets Poly Bridge apart is a bit more complexity with the building blocks (mostly around hydraulic pistons that allow shape-changing structures and draw-bridges) and the Sandbox mode which will allow you to mess around with layouts of levels, materials, vehicles, ships and all the game has to offer.
You'll also be able to submit your Sandbox levels as puzzle levels for other players to try and solve, and you can very easily share animated GIF replays and upload them for everyone to see.
Hopefully these community oriented features will encourage sharing and create an ecosystem with countless more levels to play and enjoy.

Thanks for the feedback and information around the bottom suspension bridge "cheat", we'll keep an eye out for that and I have been trying to fine tune the physics values so to avoid any tricks in solving the puzzles.
drycactus
Level 0

Indie dev

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 02:38:19 PM »

Poly Bridge has been Greenlit!

After 7 days in the Greenlight queue, sitting at rank #22 and with a 66% yes/no ratio, Poly Bridge was greenlit this morning.

We're obviously very excited and happy to see it go through so quickly, now comes more hard work with finishing the game and integrating the Steamworks SDK.
drycactus
Level 0

Indie dev

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »

And here's an animated GIF of a 24-hourly screenshot for the 7 day duration of the campaign

wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »

Hey Drycactus, nice job on the water dynamics and other physics. Looking like a solid game!

Can you share some light on how you were aware that a batch of games was Greenlit? There doesn't seem to be any official news since 2014...

drycactus
Level 0

Indie dev

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »

Sure, I forgot to mention here I wrote an article about the whole Greenlight process in our experience:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/32vg18/poly_bridge_greenlit_in_7_days_stats_and_facts/

As mentioned in that post, there's a useful website to track all submission on Steam Greenlight:
https://greenlightupdates.com/?

Good luck!
wizardfu
Level 2

Nathanael Weiss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »

Awesome article! Wish I would have found it before I started Greenlight. Excellent advice all around! Looking forward to implementing a few of your suggestions.

Good luck on Steam with Poly Bridge!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic