Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:00:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDiggin' N' Buildin'
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Diggin' N' Buildin'  (Read 4627 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »

Drillu Drillu ... DRILLUDRILLU

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »

Building was already partially in, but now you can see previews and feedback where you can and can't build, hurray

I still need to make an easy way to select different tiles.

The biggest problem has become apparent now though, building a straight tower up is way to easy.
I could just disable building underneath you, but I have to think if that is a right solution.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:30 PM »

I went ahead and implimented the tile selection too.

Some small things need fixing, like the character that turns around during selection. But pretty satisfied with it otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:25:33 PM by omgnoseat » Logged

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »

Took some time to work on this again.

Added an outline around tiles to showcase which are yours. I also added a little meter that displays every player's height. I also want to track the tower's height, since that's the win condition.
There also is a little marker where the goal is now.

I'm almost ready to add in win conditions and actually be able to play the game now, hurray.
I still have to disable building tiles beneath the players, but for debugging purposes it's pretty handy :p

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 10:30:21 PM »

How are you managing tile collisions? Separate collider for every tile?

** EDITED **

Just went through the whole thread.. So every chunk is one mesh? isn't modifying mesh at runtime costly and causes the game to lag a bit?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:53:35 AM by indie11 » Logged

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »

How are you managing tile collisions? Separate collider for every tile?

** EDITED **

Just went through the whole thread.. So every chunk is one mesh? isn't modifying mesh at runtime costly and causes the game to lag a bit?
Yeah right now every tile has a collider. But I will optimize this later by only placing colliders if the tile has an empty neighbour. So only tiles that are on the surface have colliders.

The tilegrid is chunked, and within a chunk all tiles added in one big mesh. So In my current setups I have 12 chunk meshes.
Which is quite a big amount for such a small tilegrid. But the general rule is less meshes = more ram vs more meshes = faster modifications. Since you can dig and build, it's more logical to go for the second approach.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic