Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411977 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 15, 2024, 12:24:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShotgun Sunset
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shotgun Sunset  (Read 3496 times)
martincerdeira
Level 0

1UP!

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2015, 03:38:53 PM »

>>> PLAYABLE DEVELOPMENT BUILD HERE <<<

WARNING: Very loud sounds. I'm going to fix that in my next videos!

Some content may change in the near future

IDEA
I want to make a fast paced rogue-like local 2 players battle versus, with focus in action, strategy, blood and guns.
I imagine this game being played at a party, or maybe by two friends at home, sharing a couch.

Some gameplay:

Main Title

Kill your opponent round

Five seconds of grace, before die

Stab each other round

It's western themed, as you can see in the captures.

Don't kill the clones.

Mayhem!!!

GAMEPLAY
The game centers around winning 5 rounds. The first player who wins 5 rounds, wins the match.
Each round has an objetive, that is randomly chosen.
Some objetives involve time limit, some others not. When a round with time limit ends, it doesn't actually ends, it starts spawning
a) killer worms or
b) slime boss
Also, levels layouts and look&feel, players and guns are randomly generated. This random component makes each match practically unique.
Guns are ammo limited so, you can actually run out of ammo, leaving the player with no guns but their bare knuckles.
In most of the rounds, dying is not inmediate. So, when a player lifes counter gets 0, this player gets a 5 secs chance to get a medkit. If a player in this situation doesn't get a medkit or get another shot/hit, it will die.
Controls supports gamepads and keyboard but, it's highly recommended to use two gamepads.

ROUNDS
- Kill your opponent: Normal guns. 3 lifes. Time limit 35 secs.
You have to kill you opponent with your randomly selected gun. Destroying tiles will spawn guns, medkits and ammo.
If time is up, a boss or a colony of deathly worms will attack both players.

- Stab each others: Knife gun only. 3 lifes. Time limit 40 secs.
You have to kill you opponent using a knife. Medkits will spawn, but no others weapons.
If time is up, a boss or a colony of deathly worms will attack both players.

- Don't kill the bunnies: Normal guns. 3 lifes. Time limit 60 secs.
This is a Kill your opponent variant. The rules are the same but, if a player accidentally kills a bunny, the round is over and the "bunny killer" loses.

- Don't kill clones: Normal guns. 1 life. No time limit.
This gameplay is very similar to a game called thief town. Lots of NPCs will appear and move around and, the players need to find out which one is the real opponent a kill it. Killing a "fake" or a "clone", makes the player lose the round so, players need to carefully plan their attack!

- Collect coins: Normal uns. Infinite life and ammo. No time limit.
With no real "death", the player who collects more coins (out of five) wins the round. Receiving bullet impact will make the player lose all their coins.

- Start with no guns: Bare knucles fight. Guns may spawn. Time limit.
This is another Kill your opponent variant. The main difference is the fact that players starts with no guns (bare knucles is the default gun) so, players must rush to get a gun or, try to make a kill by punching the other.

- One shot: Normal guns. 1 life. No time limit.
It's Kill your opponent but, you only need one hit to make a kill.

- Mayhem (very rare): Normal guns. 3 lifes. No time limit.
This is a "survive if you can" variant. The deathly worms and the slime boss will spawn making difficult to survive. Will players focus on killing the NPCs or take advantage of the situation?

NES STYLE
I'm trying to give the game a retro 8bit style, using a NES palette and rudimentary pixelated graphics.
This is the palette I'm using:

FEATURES
Random characters
Guns
Bunnies
Eight round objetives
Explosions
Monsters

TOOLS
I'm using GameMaker Studio, Audacity for music/sounds and Aseprite for sprites assets.
Sound resources are from OpenGameArt, mostly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:48:06 PM by martincerdeira » Logged
Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »

Looks like it could be fun. The sound effects definitely need work. I watched a few videos with headphones on and, well, to be honest - it hurt.

martincerdeira
Level 0

1UP!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »

Looks like it could be fun. The sound effects definitely need work. I watched a few videos with headphones on and, well, to be honest - it hurt.

Hi.
Yeah, that's a weird thing that happened when I recorded the videos with "Action!" (they got a really high volume, I don't know why) but, the sound in the game is ok.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic