Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 06:15:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDiscover YouTube - guide for indies!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Discover YouTube - guide for indies!  (Read 5129 times)
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »

Hey guys,

I've started working on a small marketing project for all indie developers out there. I'm focusing on YouTube and how to use it to your advantage. Tips, tricks and articles delivered to your mailbox once a week.

However, the most interesting feature is a large database I am building at the moment. Global YouTubers' contact list, statistics, covered genres and more updated every week.

Let me know what you think. Feedback is more than welcome!

Project link: http://bit.ly/youtubeforindies
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »

Sounds similar to the Big List of YouTubers. How does your database differentiate itself?

YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »

Great question!

First of all, Pixel Prospector did a great job with their list. They showcased YouTubers from different countries, their area of interests and dislikes. Unfortunately, they stopped Sad

My list will be bigger (currently over 3k accounts worldwide and the number is still growing). It will also be updated every week.

Not only that, but I will strongly focus on numbers - you won't have to browse through YouTuber's channel to see how big he/she is - you will be able to find all the information you need in one spreadsheet. I am also working on a unique rating system, but that's still WIP.

On top of providing you with updated list weekly, I will be writing unique content to help you understand YouTube better - available only for newsletter subscribers though. I am also planning to expand the list outside YouTube (Twitch, Vine, Twitter?); however, this won't happen too soon.

Still, the whole concept is Work in Progres and things might change in the upcoming weeks based on readers' feedback. First e-mail will be sent on April 2nd.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:37:31 PM by YouTube4Indies » Logged
wisetaner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:59:40 PM »

I used the "Report to Moderators link" on the Maddy2905 post in another thread.

I don't think this is the best place to spam.

ThemsAllTook, I'll have to take a look into this, sounds very promising.

Sounds similar to the Big List of YouTubers. How does your database differentiate itself?

Wise = Accepting that you will always be learning new information and that no one knows everything. When you make a mistake, do not let pride rule you, instead accept, acknowledge, learn from, and move on from that mistake.
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:06:42 AM »

Thanks for reporting Maddy. As for the project, I'm currently in the "pre-filtering" stage where I just capture as many targeted channels I can before Thursday (April 2nd). It looks something like this: http://imgur.com/NvZnsx8 Just a small piece of 20,000 accounts I already have in my data set :D
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »

That was my first thought too (actually I was thinking on a different list which detailed what each youtuber looked for), but a quick look at the site shows this seems to aim to be more ambitious.
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:07:19 AM »

Sik - yeah, I'm trying to make it a little bit "deeper" than most of the available lists on the web. I hope that some of you guys signed up; I'd love to get some feedback/criticism on Thursday/Friday ^^
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »

Yea yt4indies is going in depth to provide a vast amount of information. the info he is providing is much more streamlined then pixel prospector's list. i can vouch for this as we have been working together over the past couple of months

Currently working on: www.dragonoflegends.com
Feel like connecting? {Twitter}{Facebook}
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 02:35:55 AM »

Thanks xier!

The site has been updated... like a lot :D Would love to get some feedback. Sample newsletter available soon. Launch in 2 days.
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »

So, newsletter #1 is out. Would love to get some feedback Smiley
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:24 AM »

Sample Newsletter has been released. Check it out here! (No e-mail opt in is required)
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 12:54:10 AM »

Getting roughly ~10 new subs every day. Received a lot of positive feedback. Hope to see you guys join for Newsletter #2 (Thursday - April 9).
TwistedJenius
Level 0

Entertainment with Brains, Brains with Bite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »

Just for your own information on where your subscribers are coming from (since I know that kind of info is important Wink), I first noticed this from a post about it on the Indie Game Developers group on facebook, where I followed the link to the Gamasutra blog and then began searching around to see if I could find out more about the project before subscribing (which I have now done).

This looks like it could be very promising and helpful, as targeting YouTube as a means of promoting our games is one of our highest priorities and so I'm going to be keeping an eye on your project.  

Twisted Jenius is now also following you on twitter as well.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:58:56 PM by TwistedJenius » Logged

Here's the DevLog of the game I'm currently working on- Reptile Zoo: The Sinister Mutation
Vote for it on Steam Greenlight!
YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 10:08:14 PM »

Thank you for the kind words and +1 follow/sub. Really appreciate it and hope to get even more feedback this Thursday Smiley

As for my subscriptions funnel, currently most of my traffic comes from Facebook (~80-90%) and Twitter (~10-20%). Where people lose interest is probably the landing page, which I want to update in the upcoming weeks.
OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 09:30:36 PM »

I signed up and received the first newsletter and have the spreadsheet.

it would be nice if you could break them down by interest the way the big list of youtubers can.
RaconteurNick
Level 1

Business Dude @ Raconteur Games

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 05:37:56 AM »

Woah, this is freaking great! Thanks for creating this resource. It'd be nifty to include contact info as well, but just knowing the names is a massive headstart.

You da man/woman/crab/space creature Smiley

YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Smiley Working hard on making it as useful as possible, but real-life can sometimes interfere :d Anyway, second newsletter goes out tomorrow!
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »

Can't wait xD

YouTube4Indies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

The newsletter should be in your inboxes now! Almost 1000 records already. Will be adding more features in the upcoming weeks. E-mails ETA: 2-3 weeks.
xier
Level 1

Totes mah goats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »

Congrats on the front page feature on gamasutra today!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic