Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:59:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Last Pikeman
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Last Pikeman  (Read 3209 times)
FYNDR
Level 0

Cold fusion meets warm personality

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »

The Last Pikeman is a difficult platformer that chronicles the struggle of a man who refuses to recognize that melee weapons have been replaced by firearms as the weapon of choice in combat. You control the eponymous hero in a world dominated by guns that are infinitely more powerful and useful than your trusty pike. Regardless, it is up to you to avenge yourself against this new world, where the 2nd amendment has become the only rule of law.

Choose a path and traverse through perilous traps, enemies, and other environmental hardships!

Outsmart and outmaneuver insanely frustrating bosses!

Grind your teeth incessantly while trying to figure out how to get past these damn puzzles!

And more (presumably)!

Fancy Pic Time!

Downloadable at: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/launch/70792

A bit of background information: after beating I Wanna Be The Guy, I felt compelled to try my hand at hard game-making. The Last Pikeman was a result of this effort, spanning across 8 months of development. That being said, this game is HARD. If at any time you get frustrated to the point of physical injury, please quit the game and post your insults here. Any feedback is welcome also Grin
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:44:07 PM by FYNDR » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »

Fuck you Durr...?Hand Point Right Hand Point Right

I think you should make restarting automatic. Less annoying AND it will make it harder for people to stop playing.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
FYNDR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »

Yeah, when I started I wasn't sure if making the player press R every few seconds (or however long it takes to rack up another death Grin) would be the best option, but the alternative would be to have it restart automatically after at least a few seconds (so the player would know how he/she died), and I'm not sure if players would prefer having to wait a set amount of time each time over being able to restart as soon as they can. Maybe I should have it so that when you die you can immediately press R, or if you wait long enough it will restart on its own...?
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »

this was a great start  Grin

the "cover art" and your outline of the story is what made me want to play. 

if you don't like the wait-period idea then "r" should be changed to "x" or something just as easy (like the spacebar).  instead, if you prefer to implement the waiting period, i recommend it be immediate.

the art was interesting.  the attack motion was fluid but what about the jumping animation? where is it? at least a leg up or something  Wizard

unfortunately, i have to admit that biggest disappointment was the lack of character in the game.  from the story, i got the sense it was going to be a humorous adventure  Sad

please work on this  Beg Beg Beg you don't know how much i loved just the story idea.

g'day  Gentleman

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »

This was good for about 5 seconds while I was killing dudes with my pike. Lots of potential in the 'pike vs. guns' mechanic.

Then you had to go and ruin it with your IWBTG bullshit. That joke has worn really thin, and you didn't even do it right. The point is to kill the player in different ways and surprise them, not to use the same spike trap over and over again.

What you are doing is like telling a joke that everyone has heard a hundred times before, and then forgetting the punchline.

On the other hand, people seem to like it, so... maybe just ignore me and add more spike traps?

FYNDR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »

Out of respect for fellow TigSource forum users (and because I had a lot of free time today), I fixed the restart system such that there is a one second waiting period between death and respawning, which can be subverted by pressing the space bar. Also, I added a change in the jumping sprite (yes, it's a leg up Grin), which I admit I find humorous, because it looks like the player character is brimming with confidence, leaping defiantly into the depths of evil and the unknown, when in all actuality a feather-touch would turn him into a corpse in a quick flash of gibs.

The download link in the first post leads to this latest iteration of the game. For those so inclined, it can be downloaded again to avoid the whole restart hassle. Your save data will not be affected by this change.

As regards the plot of the game, most of the humor - if you could call it that - comes from dying repeatedly, to the point where you begin to laugh in the face of defeat, despair, and hordes of spikes, possibly due to psychosis. The final boss expounds upon the plot a little, but admittedly it takes a little less than forever to get there. I'll have to look into this further.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »

Hmmm...

I also wished for story / dialogue / character / plot based humour, but alas, none. This sounded like a fantastic comedic adventure game, but alas I saw another ITBWTG ripoff. Sadly, this could have been something great... but, it regressed to a sad clone. Sorry, but that was... boring. Dying repeatedly is not funny in my books, that just isn't humourous. Sudden death traps are just... ridiculous, for want of a better word. Some actual character to it would have been amazing. But, it was just a flat punishing game, and punishing by unfair standards. No skill was in there! It was just learning when something flies out of nowhere.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »

okie, let me start off by admitting that i've never played iwtbtg, but i've seen enough videos to know what it's like.  yes, this is a clone.  it's still entertaining in its own way.

anyways, the automatic restart is perfect, big improvement.  the animation for the leg jump is, however, sub-par.  his legs are going down.  the back leg should be down, the front leg should be up - i think this would be more "heroic."

the lava should be animated and the depth should be behind pikeman.

also, just so you know, if you kill the orthodontist then, i'm sure you know, the automatic restart doesn't allow one to read the text.

lastly, the cat sucks fat cock  Wizard
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:32 AM »

First, the first corridor is really easy if you know Swedish :D

Second, god I hate this game because going back to the last checkpoint after death just takes AGES.

FYNDR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »

After thinking about the nature of the game, I am toying with the idea of removing much of the fake difficulty (hidden spikes, invisible blocks, etc.) in favor of beefing up the plot. Hopefully this will make the game more accessible. Yes, I realize that I made this game with the intent of creating an I Wanna Be The Guy-eque frustration fest, thus making it inaccessible to all but the most diehard frustration platformer fans, but it occurs to me that some of the later game locations and puzzles (or indeed the entire game) could be missed because of the extreme difficulty.

I'm thinking of keeping some of the spikes and spike traps, but making them visible so that the player knows they are there and they can plan ahead instead of just jumping into oblivion and seeing what happens. A few pointers toward this end would be helpful; all I know how to do is kill players with spikes Beg

Also, since the game is now under development, I suppose this thread should be in a different section of the forum...?
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »

Also, since the game is now under development, I suppose this thread should be in a different section of the forum...?

feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic