Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:56:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMr. Robotto
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Robotto  (Read 5399 times)
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »

(still very wip)

Hi, im new here because iv just been recommended by a friend when i asked him if there were any forums that i could show my game too, well, here i am. Smiley

anyway, me and this friend are making a game where you play as this robot:

the object of the game is to climb to the top of the factory/cave/area of space whilst avoiding the lava/nuclearwaste/solar radiation by climcbing, you can jump, but not very high, which means that you will need to make use of the two thrusters to gain that extra height, but be warned, you dont have mcuh fuel and it only gets replenished whilst you are on the ground so conserve it wisely.

thats pretty much all i have on this game at the moment, im in the process of making it now on game maker, and i am spriting, and doing some programming and mamagiygas is programming it.

more will be shown soon Wink

Upgrades

throught the game you will pick up nuts and bolts, which can be used to buy new parts, these parts do a number off things: increase/decrease fuel,friction,speed,jumpheight and can even double or triple the points you earn if the parts you have selected are hard to use.
at the moment i have only designed four different "sets", but they can be used in any combination and as you can see:

with just 12 different parts you can come up with a lot of different combinations to find your best playing style, or even the coolest look Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:05:27 PM by JoeInky » Logged
shig
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »

Poor lil` robot  Sad

I like his design.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »

urpdate: Upgrades

throught the game you will pick up nuts and bolts, which can be used to buy new parts, these parts do a number off things: increase/decrease fuel,friction,speed,jumpheight and can even double or triple the points you earn if the parts you have selected are hard to use.
at the moment i have only designed four different "sets", but they can be used in any combination and as you can see:

with just 12 different parts you can come up with a lot of different combinations to find your best playing style, or even the coolest look Smiley.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »

That wire frame grid effect gotta look cool in motion!

Welcome to the forum! I don't see why you quote yourself in the main post though...
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »

oh, sorry about that, it was just for those kinds of people that just read the first post, if there are any here.

also, if anyone comes up with good ideas for sets of parts, they just might make it inot the game  Wink

oh and how does the name "Mr. Robotto" sound?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:54:45 PM by JoeInky » Logged
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:56:49 PM »

comparing the three face designs, I think the original with the green eyes, is the better of the 3. the green one seems to actually have personality while the other 2 designs are a little bland. they look more like faceless enemies that meander back and forth bumping into walls and then turning around. if you are goign to change the main chasis, I think maybe you should go back and try and bring a little bit of emotion into the other 2 designs.

for example look at the picture you put up and then imagine the other two faces in that scenario, if the picture has the same feeling.

P.S. PM me if you need any help, I did a prototype game like this (even in gamemaker) a few months back by modifing Chevy Rays platformer engine.

JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 01:30:33 PM »

i know what you mean about some of those designs maybe being a bit "emotionless" but theyre just theyre so that theyres a style for near enough everyone, there will be of course better designs theyre just the only ones i could think of so far.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »

sexy robots with sexy robotic tasks. I can dig that!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:19:46 PM »

Wow, that is fantastic looking! Cannot wait to hear more, and more!
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »

just to wet your appetites even more i made a mockup, it even contains 2 new sets too, with a cameo ish set that i think is the best, enjoi.
The-Imp
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »

Gah! Awesome. Seriously, the robot is real cool.
MamaGiygas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »

Well, I am the secondary producer of the game- i'm to lazy, so I just leave all the graphic work to him as I program.

Anyways, i'd just like to say this game is much focused on increasing replay value- We do this is as much ways as we can. We have achievments, secret exits, multiple paths, rewards for doing something interesting ( I.E not using fuel at all in a level ), lowest time finished, ect.

All the levels are going to play the same but be much different. For example, the level you see is just the basic level- Collect nuts while avoiding the lava. However, I am working on a level where the gravity is so intense jumping is impossible. Luckily, you are standing on a floating platform that moves with the water, but "crushers" are smashing them under, while magnets are constantly removing and adding blocks for you to stay on.

Oh, i'm droning on again~
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 03:52:21 AM »

oh and how does the name "Mr. Robotto" sound?
There's already a similarly named indie game called Mr. Robot. You might reconsider that
Jrsquee
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 04:20:09 AM »

Collect nuts while avoiding the lava.

I vote for cashews.
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 04:59:55 AM »

The graphics look very clean an good Smiley

One of the Beatles
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 05:22:13 AM »

The graphics are looking great! I just don't like that metal thing to the right... it doesn't fit the rest IMO.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »

I agree with One of the Beatles. It looks good, but the metal pipe/pump (what is it anyway?) sticks out a bit. It makes the rest of the tiles look kinda flat.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 01:47:14 PM »

that pipe thing is a hydraulic piston which will move back and forth knocking you off the platforms, i think that it looks out of place because i just pasted it on and its over lapping the platforms, it does look much better in-game.
medieval
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »

It is completely out of style compared to the rest of the graphics though.
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 01:49:24 PM »

too many colours?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic