Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:23:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMr. Robotto
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Robotto  (Read 5444 times)
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

Lol, I almost thought you were Willy from create-games.com for a moment  WTF http://www.create-games.com/project.asp?id=1395
JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »

well, i guess thats the final nail in the coffin for mr robotto.

i wonder what i should call it now... Sad
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »

Since it kinda reminds me of fall up or other calculator games in concept, I can see gameplay getting a little frantic. Something like Panic Climber comes to mind.

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »

Loving the design.  Smiley  Very clean and retro looking.   Hand Thumbs Up Left

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »

Run Robo Run?

The Little Bot?

Climbot?
MamaGiygas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »

Since it kinda reminds me of fall up or other calculator games in concept, I can see gameplay getting a little frantic. Something like Panic Climber comes to mind.
Keyword "Frantic"- Nailed it pretty damn deep.
    The overall production of the game was inspired by games that were very easy, but a good genre. Like Ice Climbers. We wanted to expand on the idea of making a difficult game, but still retain the formula.
    The first levels, of course, are very easy- However, secret levels you can unlock require you to move very fast, and the secret levels themselves are incredibly frantic overall.
    Think of it as this. Easy in this game, would be like "hard" on Contra in the later levels.
    As the water rises, and gets quicker and quicker by the second, you will need to make split-second decisions on what you want to do.
    Hopefully, by the demo, losing will be more of a "Damn, so close. Maybe i'll get it next time." feeling instead of a "Damnit! This game is completely unfair." and winning levels alone is a challenge, but completing a level while doing so in a very short time, finding all secret exits, using no fuel, gathering all the bolts is something else.
    Compelling the game should be, and hell, i'll spend months trying to make it that way~

... Why the hell do I type so much.

tl:dr Gameplay will be clean, levels original, gameplay smooth, and replay value skyrocketted.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »

Neat, I love challenging games.

too many colours?

Something like that. The rest of the objects have a sort of flat appeal, and while the piston looks very well shaded it looks out of place. Size probably plays a big role in how it would have to either come in front or drop behind, but try using less colors as well. You can achieve the same effect with a couple colors, by making the highlight areas larger.

I noticed that the rest of the environments and stuff use around four colors, for instance the chrome piece on that blue topped thing on the left. With that in mind, you could do something like this:

Just four colors and it still looks round, and is easily lightened or darkened.

MamaGiygas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »

Is it considered a bump if you're the op? ( Or close enough, i'm 50% of this game )

Anyways, after a few months of staring at the sprites in my folders, i've decided to remake the entire game from scratch ( The programming at least, sprites are good :3 )
The original had very... bad collisions and was not programmed to be a fast, difficult game as it had to many bugs that stopped you mid flight.

Right now, I have a prfectly working collision engine with no noticible bugs and smooth movements. The game will have the basic gameplay described before but with a better engine. Perhaps a demo later. I don't know.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 07:54:56 PM »

The surest way to not finish a game is to keep upgrading/switching the engine. I should know! I think my past terrible track record at finishing projects is directly correlated to my lust for fancier do-hickeys Smiley

MamaGiygas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »

The surest way to not finish a game is to keep upgrading/switching the engine. I should know! I think my past terrible track record at finishing projects is directly correlated to my lust for fancier do-hickeys Smiley
Haha, I think Duke Nukem Forever taught us all that lesson X3
But, in all seriousness, the previous engine did indeed lack polish. Not polish like, looking good, I mean polish as in gameplay polish.

Right now, I have added thrusters, ghost platforms, hydraulics, magnets and spikes ( that push you out of the way ). The Magnets and Spikes still need work, but the hydraulics are working fine.

I replanned the thrusters, instead of it increasing you speed as you hold it, it has a set speed to go up. This helps because before, if you were falling and tried to use it, it would only slow your fall.

Also, I changed the physics to a more heavy feel to fit with the robot theme. You drop fast, but jump high and the thrusters give out more power.

Each level is also planned with three things in mind:

1.No thrusters should ever be required.
2. You should be able to finish the level before you can see the water. Of course, it would require very good use of thrusters and skilled timing, but it needs to be possible.
3. Difficulty. Peroid.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic