Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 05:18:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAliens Eat Bullets [DONE] - android arcade game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Aliens Eat Bullets [DONE] - android arcade game  (Read 5470 times)
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »

Hmm, I wonder if you should have a bit more visual feedback regarding the bullets not harming the floating boss. Right now it just kind of looks like the bullets disappear. Maybe have them bounce off or something? Something like that would get the point across rather quickly.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »

Hey blekdar, great to see you around! You are totaly right about that. That is mainly because I had different plans with this enemy and wanted them to connect in the air - in that case any difference in height wasn't desired. However in GameMaker you can't (or I'm not aware of) tell to the object(enemy) to collide with another(bullet) but not to carry over some of the other object's energy. Only way I could think of was to make them not collide and just check if the bullet is within the area and destroy it.
But since I'm no longer interested in trying to connect them it does not matter that they are not synchronized. I forgot to add the particle dust when they collide in the gif and I'm lazy to remake it Embarrassed

That bullet has some weird direction shown when falling down... Will have to look into that. Not a fan.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »

Ahhh that is much nicer. You know the angle thing isn't too bad. It's almost like the bullet is wobbly after bouncing off it's target.

Code:
However in GameMaker you can't (or I'm not aware of) tell to the object(enemy) to collide with another(bullet) but not to carry over some of the other object's energy.

Damn man, really? That's one of my go-to's in Construct 2. Now...bear with me cause I don't use game maker, but can you track what the current velocity or bullet speed is? If so, couldn't you assign that to a variable, cut it in half or something and use that to reassign the bullets velocity? Again, I don't use GM so I don't really know how it works, but that's what I do in construct.

Boss looks neat though, outta have some fun multi-tasking.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 07:01:30 AM »

I think I have to clarify because I forgot to mention it - I'm working with GM's built in physics engine which is basically box2D. If you have physics world active you can't have a physics body (affected by forces you set) that would collide with others and would not be affected by them back. I've read something about it on the official forums and devs argumented that it's a physics engine and like that it is working like physics in real world. Don't know if they ever heard about games...

I guess I could do exactly what you suggested. I will just have to calculate the bounce direction. This Planetary lander doesn't need it that bad, I think, and it looks maybe even better when they are out of sync. I will use it on the tank enemy however... some dirty hacks had to be used to keep him from falling, but that is a different matter entirely. Thanks!  Smiley

Again I'm not really a programmer and even I don't know this "new" physics engine in GM that well. Maybe I'm just talking rubbish.

I reworked the Planetary Lander yesterday and I think now it needs just a bit more work on the floaty part. Something about the "shoulders" coming out doesn't seem right.

Also if there is anybody else interested in the game a bit more just follow me on twitter @SorsyXon. I'm trying to put little things sooner over there but I'm starting to feel like I make something for one hour and then do three hours of grabbing gifs, screens, writting and so on.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 05:18:09 AM »

Hello there. I dedicated yesterday and today's morning mainly to menus and I have finally something to show.

What do you think about it?

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »

Hey guys! I have this little thing for you here:

Both versions are identical. I just think that this way I may get a bit more feedback.

Controls: tap/click and hold anywhere on screen (I recommend somewhere at the bottom) and slide/move horizontally to change the angle of the gun. Release to shoot. How long you hold down determines bullet's energy.

I can run it on my Samsung S3 mini which is pretty old so I think it shouldn't be a problem if you have something similar or newer. If you go through the hassle of downloading it to your device please tell me what device you tried it on and how smooth it was.

I think I maybe overdid it with the difficulty so just tell me your observations, how you liked it, if you found some bugs or anything. I will be really glad if you would help me make it better!

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2015, 03:22:02 AM »

Hey there, I've been busy getting rid of some bugs. Also I made use of GM timelines to control spawner of enemies. That gave me a bit more control over what is on the screen so I did that. Now it's a little bit easier to win the game, or maybe now it's actually beatable :D

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 11:19:27 AM »

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »

Hello guys, I'm happy to say that I'm working on this game some more. Real life happens as I'm sure most of you know.

I decided that I want the game to be done so I'm no longer working on the story mode. It didn't really add that much to the game. I will probably make like a start screen and a win screen but that will be everything.
This long hiatus was really good for one thing and that was play testing. I played a lot and found and fixed a few bugs. Even though the build 0.5.1 doesn't have all the enemies I was able to spot that the flying enemy aka IKARO5 are incredibly strong. It's really hard to hit them as the fly up and down. So I have to do some balancing. The easiest thing is to just spawn less of them.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that there is a healthbar when a boss spawns. In 0.5.1 it didn't look very good I think so I worked on that a bit. Gif is bellow. Also you have this meter that fills as you shoot. How much it fills depends on how bad you load your shots and when you fill this bar it spawns a friendly drone that shoots where you finger/pointer is. This can be exploited as you can just tap and if the bullet hits something it fills the bar a lot. It feels really good though and it will help you only in the early stages so I guess it can be called a feature :D

I will try and post new build very soon.

new healthbar

friendly drone

ground leveling drones for the last two bosses

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2015, 04:51:48 AM »

Hey guys, I tinkered the build a bit and now there is version 0.6.0.  Don't ask me how I got the numbers.

Both versions are identical once again. Maybe you would like to try it first on pc before installing it to you phone.

It's not really that hard to finnish the game - it goes up to the Planetary Lander bosses. I hope you enjoy it.

Tasty-Lempons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2015, 06:28:35 AM »

Downloaded the game, i'm not sure how to move ? are you supposed to move ? I liked the art and how the game looked but i found it hard to shoot, if the character followed the mouse pointer it might be easier to track where you will be shooting. At them minute he only changes direction once you shoot. I downloaded for windows btw

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2015, 06:42:40 AM »

Hey Tasty-Lempsons, thank you for trying it out. The character isn't able to move. You control the angle at which the character aims by clicking/tapping and holding left mouse button and then sliding it horizontally. When you release the button it shoots. Also how long you hold the button determines the energy the projectile will have. I don't think I will release the game for windows, but I wanted people to be able to try it out first on pc, which is much quicker in my opinion, and then on mobile, where the controls feel better. I will try to have a quick tutorial in the next build. Thanks for your feedback.

Tasty-Lempons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »

Yes a tutorial would be a great idea. Keep up the good work  Smiley

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »

What do you think about the tutorial, guys?

Thanks for the support, Tasty Smiley

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »

Today I added one new enemy that helps the pentultimate boss.

Next think I want to do is to refine the explosions. Those don't look good anymore.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2016, 04:45:35 AM »

Hey guys! For a long time there was nothing but now there's something. Aliens Eat Bullets is getting closer and closer to release but everytime I finish some part or feature it seems like another two are missing and I need to add them. Poor planning on my part I guess.

I think I have final boss done and ready to kick some butts. But... when I was playing with him now to screen grab this animation it doesn't feel like it's escalating very much. He starts like a tank and when he loses his threads he walks, flies and that. Now it sounds like he's doing a lot but I think a "dying frenzy" is missing from the list. I have to get on that.

I had his animation ready for some time and I even posted it on PixelJoint where I got some nice comments from the PJ community.

I also added this respawn animation as I've decided it would be better to give the player a better chance at beating the game. So I gave them 3 lives and a checkpoint save after waves of enemies and before bosses.

There is some weird flickering of the printer but only in smaller version of the image. Just click it to make it bigger.

And that's it I think for now. Have a great day!

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »

Me again. I've been working on an intro for the game. I posted a screenshot from a lab before but I decided to make it a bit simpler by not introducing any dialog. Now the story is pretty simple but I guess this is not the type of game you'd play for the story.

There is something I have to say and it is related to what I wrote before about adding features and maybe over polishing (I don't think it's a bad thing). I had this intro done for maybe about 2 months and just two days ago I watched it again and that's when I though that the ship needs something. So I animated the ring on it. Then it still wasn't moving enough so I added clouds. Then the logo at the end wasn't moving so I upgraded that. And now I think the first scene with the ship needs some birds to fly away... oh well. Anyone with the same problem? I guess this is how it is when you can do things the way you like it.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2016, 03:03:53 AM »

Hi guys, I've been working on the game itself and it's getting very close to being done. And I also worked on a trailer for a last couple of days and I think it's safe to say it's done.

Check it out and let me know what you think about it. Although a lot of work went into AEB it's still a small little Android game so this is possibly the only trailer for the game I'll make.
You can also join in for the beta test which is made through Google Play.

Have a great day!

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 09:37:42 AM »

Ugh. I have one of these days when I'm not motivated to do anything. The game is almost done but only that. Not done. In the grand scheme of things there is not much work to be done but...
So today I did this thing:

And also! I made an ending animation but I'm not sure I want to spoil it. That is something you will see when you kill the last boss.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »

Hey guys! I've been busy for the last couple of days and I basicaly finnished the game and I think it's ready to be public to everyone. So get to it if you are interested>

It's been a long time since I started the development and the last 5% showed to be the hardest to get myself motivated and easiest to actually code and draw. I hope there is some fun in the game for someone. I'm proud for sure. Thanks for watching!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic